Edting DCI recordings

Just wondering out loud, and I'm really not trying to stir the pot ... too hard -

If the current philosophy is to provide the best possible production, why stop halfway? Audio-wise, it would be fairly straightforward to use "studio" or standstill recordings made during Championship week to provide a professional-quality soundtrack to the video. Crowd noise could be added (or not added) as necessary to provide an ideal stadium quality experience for the movie. We're already kind of doing that with the video - inserting scenes from different performances as needed to create an "enhanced" product.

Essentially, it would still be the corps putting on their shows, but it would be the best possible audio to accompany the best possible video in those productions.

Mike

My guess is that to do this type of recording 'correctly' the studio fees would be way out of reach for DCI.

Just wondering out loud, and I'm really not trying to stir the pot ... too hard -

If the current philosophy is to provide the best possible production, why stop halfway? Audio-wise, it would be fairly straightforward to use "studio" or standstill recordings made during Championship week to provide a professional-quality soundtrack to the video. Crowd noise could be added (or not added) as necessary to provide an ideal stadium quality experience for the movie. We're already kind of doing that with the video - inserting scenes from different performances as needed to create an "enhanced" product.

Essentially, it would still be the corps putting on their shows, but it would be the best possible audio to accompany the best possible video in those productions.

Mike

well....standstills dont take into consideration any visual moments, such as backfield, etc.

• Like 1

well....standstills dont take into consideration any visual moments, such as backfield, etc.

Exactly, and to add to this sentiment often visual design = staging for certain musical effects: putting certain sections 'up front/center' in order for their sound to be more dominant while putting other musical voices further away. Or staging the brass in such a way to compose a "stereo" type effect from one side of the field to the next.

Also, by the time the shows are where staffs are happy having them recorded for a final product (i.e. finals week), I'm sure most staffs would MUCH rather rehearse their product for competition vs. taking rehearsal blocks to get a perfect recording. Also, as others mentioned, the costs of recording would be expensive, as you're either putting an entire corps in a studio (which they wouldn't fit anyway), putting them in a huge concert hall to get nice boomy acoustics (which would be expensive to rent for several days to get all the corps in), or renting out LOS an extra day in order to get the same production crew to record everyone's standstill.

no crowd reaction.... that kind of flat (IMO) stage setting sound.... less difference in volume because not facing backfield....

think we have enough concert recordings between us Jeff......

Exactly, and to add to this sentiment often visual design = staging for certain musical effects: putting certain sections 'up front/center' in order for their sound to be more dominant while putting other musical voices further away. Or staging the brass in such a way to compose a "stereo" type effect from one side of the field to the next.

no crowd reaction.... that kind of flat (IMO) stage setting sound.... less difference in volume because not facing backfield....

All of this (simulating horns facing backfield, stereo and depth separations of sections, inserting ‘real’ crowd reaction to a specific performance moment, et al) can all be reproduced in a studio setting; but the engineering and production costs would not be feasible for DCI.

Recall the 1986 Garfield Cadets. Rumor has it, the soloist was stung by a bee that day, and the Finals solo was very, very off. (She was the only one playing.)

Ouch. I just received the definitive email: the soloist was indeed stung on the lip---in the frickin' TUNNEL coming out to perform her very last DCI show. I hope Karma gets that bee and someday it's squooshed to little bits on Christine's windshield. :tounge2: