Edting DCI recordings

To those engaging in this thread please answer this: To you, is DCI a Competition which happens to also be a series of artistic performances, or is DCI mainly Artistic Performances which happen to also be a competition? The way you answer will be important because if you value the Competition above the art you would likely want to hear the clams and all other warts from the various Finals night performances; but if you value the Artistic side more than the competition you would likely want the best amalgamation of the various shows as possible.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks.........as long as there are placements and scores awarded; it's a competitive format.

To those engaging in this thread please answer this: To you, is DCI a Competition which happens to also be a series of artistic performances, or is DCI mainly Artistic Performances which happen to also be a competition? The way you answer will be important because if you value the Competition above the art you would likely want to hear the clams and all other warts from the various Finals night performances; but if you value the Artistic side more than the competition you would likely want the best amalgamation of the various shows as possible.

I agree... your values dictate how you are going to feel about the editing...

Personally, as an educator, I prefer the doctored version... it's hard to inspire a middle school kid to do marching band when he/she notices a mistake. On the other hand, I'd still purchase the DVD if they were Finals only, and then talk to the students about what it's like to perform over the long summer, and the adrenaline, the nature of performing idioms, etc.... Either way, my students and I win!

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks.........as long as there are placements and scores awarded; it's a competitive format.

I agree that it's a competition as long as placements and scores are given; I just value the product more than the score.

We’ve done this topic before

I think it’s about the marketing; it’s sold as the Finals DVD so it should be a document of that show. They could easily change it to Finalist Corps DVD and edit away

I’d like both, a clean version and a document of the night so I’d suggest maybe as an incentive to buy the DVD at it’s full price or as a Pre-Sale even (and then pulled when the DVD is released), you get the downloads of the live finals and then a DVD /Blueray of the Finalist Corps (clean version). Might also allow a work around of some of the copy write edits by delivering it in a different medium or getting it out before it’s an issue.

I like the DVD as a document of Finals some times the edits confuse me. This year, I do recall the Blue Devils solo being blown, twice if I recall and Crown blew a solo last year….when it comes down to .01 and it’s several years later and people are judging the scores and placements off the DVDs only (impossible imo but they do) it’s a disservice and adds to the confusion.

The only edit I recall being glad about is Crown 2010 as I didn’t want to see that again and it would have ruined watching the show later but at the same time it would explain why the show ended flat and the crowds reactions at the end

I think it’s about the marketing; it’s sold as the Finals DVD so it should be a document of that show. They could easily change it to Finalist Corps DVD and edit away

They don't market it as a Finals DVD...

2013 World Championship Blu-Ray

Order the 2013 World Championship Blu-ray today featuring the top 12 placing corps.

This Blu-ray Disc is only available to customers who live within the United States due to music licensing and permissions that are unavailable for international distribution.

This blu-ray disc contains performance edits due to music licensing and permissions that are not available for distribution:

The World Champpionships of DCI is the entire weekend. The event titles: DCI World Championship Prelims, DCI World Championship Semifinals, DCI World Championships World Class Finals. Hence, "2013 World Championship Blu-Ray" does not specify a single event, but rather a collection of events. Thus the marketing is for exactly what the disc already are.

You are correct; I went and looked at their site it says ‘Order 2013 World Championship DVD today featuring the 2013 top 12 placing corps’. If I were to nit-pick, it’s a bit ambiguous as Championship is in the singular form which would imply Finals

I’d still like a ‘as is’ copy and a clean copy

They don't market it as a Finals DVD...

That is true. On the other hand, they say "This blu-ray disc contains performance edits due to music licensing and permissions that are not available for distribution:" - yet, they do not mention that there are also "performance edits" made to correct performance errors.

"Was Ms. Moreno in competition that night?"

Well, actually, yes, and every professional performer is, every time. But that's not really my point.

There is, (and never has been) a perfect performance of anything, but the job of the performer is to create the illusion thereof. Drum Corps is the art of illusion. Those forms are not symmetrical or evenly spaced, they just look that way. The music is neither balanced nor in tune, but you perceive it as such. Blemishes and warts are cleverly disguised by skillful players, designers and technicians.

As for edited field versions invalidating the standstill recordings, the results speak for themselves. That is where no competition exists. They are completely different entities and both are valid in their own right.

This is a very interesting discussion and admits of strong logic on many sides of the issue. If you think of field recordings as "documentaries" or a kind of archival audio journalism, you must opt for the unvarnished truth.

If you want a great sounding recording, you will "condone" post-production. Apples and oranges come to mind, both of them tasty in context, I think.

Can't you guys just sit back and -- I don't know -- just enjoy the recording?? Yeesh.

When one person wants to hear the best performance possible from each corps, and the other wants to hear all the clams and other 'competitive' mistakes made on Finals night, then no, both cannot enjoy the same recording.

"Was Ms. Moreno in competition that night?"

Well, actually, yes, and every professional performer is, every time. But that's not really my point.

There is, (and never has been) a perfect performance of anything, but the job of the performer is to create the illusion thereof. Drum Corps is the art of illusion. Those forms are not symmetrical or evenly spaced, they just look that way. The music is neither balanced nor in tune, but you perceive it as such. Blemishes and warts are cleverly disguised by skillful players, designers and technicians.

As for edited field versions invalidating the standstill recordings, the results speak for themselves. That is where no competition exists. They are completely different entities and both are valid in their own right.

This is a very interesting discussion and admits of strong logic on many sides of the issue. If you think of field recordings as "documentaries" or a kind of archival audio journalism, you must opt for the unvarnished truth.

If you want a great sounding recording, you will "condone" post-production. Apples and oranges come to mind, both of them tasty in context, I think.

Again this gets back to a person's priority order: Is DCI a Competition which just happens to also be artistic; or is DCI Artistic which just happens to also be competitive?