Cadets2 show announcement...

MikeD

Because they're not Madison.

Ok...I dare you to go watch the 2003 Cadets "MY Favorite Things" Show. The crowd for the most part except for "impact points" in the show and towards the end of the show where there is high energy are almost stoic during the entire show.

When they get to Malaguena you can clearly hear the crowd during the entire portion of the Malaguena woo hoo ing and cheering. It was clearly the Fan Favorite portion of the show. At 9:51 at the end of Malaguena you see a camera pan to the Audience and the Audience is climbing to the feet for a standing O. It don't get much better than that.

Malaguena sets the tone for the energy for the ending of the show and the crowd reaction at the end of the show. Without it "My Favorite Things" might have been just another 3rd place show. Instead its a show for the record books.

Cadets 2 would be wise to go back and review the 2003 crowd reaction on the Video and take heed.

The Cadets2 have released their 2014 show...and of note Tom Aungst is working with the corps.

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=22784&news_iv_ctrl=2261

Not to sound like a dinosaur or anything but but it was refreshing watching the 2003 Cadets show. No narration. No Singing. No Electronics or Synthesizers on the sidelines. Just good solid Brass and drums marching and playing for the entire length of the show.

I realize watching several videos this afternoon that 2004 was sort of the big turning point where things really started to decline in DCI. This is where the ARTSY FARTSY stuff really started to take hold in our activity and IMHO ruined it forever.

Sigh!!

Ok...I dare you to go watch the 2003 Cadets "MY Favorite Things" Show. The crowd for the most part except for "impact points" in the show and towards the end of the show where there is high energy are almost stoic during the entire show.

When they get to Malaguena you can clearly hear the crowd during the entire portion of the Malaguena woo hoo ing and cheering. It was clearly the Fan Favorite portion of the show. At 9:51 at the end of Malaguena you see a camera pan to the Audience and the Audience is climbing to the feet for a standing O. It don't get much better than that.

Malaguena sets the tone for the energy for the ending of the show and the crowd reaction at the end of the show. Without it "My Favorite Things" might have been just another 3rd place show. Instead its a show for the record books.

Cadets 2 would be wise to go back and review the 2003 crowd reaction on the Video and take heed.

But thats DCI. Doesnt really matter what you do in DCA, crowd reaction is going to be minimal either way.

But thats DCI. Doesnt really matter what you do in DCA, crowd reaction is going to be minimal either way.

You obviously weren't in Annapolis for DCA Championships last summer. If you had been, you wouldn't have made such a blatantly absurd statement.

• Like 2

You obviously weren't in Annapolis for DCA Championships last summer. If you had been, you wouldn't have made such a blatantly absurd statement.

Or at any DCA show where Cadets2 performed, apparently.

The corps got great crowd response every time I saw them.

• Like 1

Cadets2 certainly have a formula that is working within the DCA model. I would say for DCA to survive and expand its going to take some more Cadets2 type of corps to come on board. Otherwise we are going to continue to see shows Lewisburg and many others dropping off the map till there is no DCA left.

I really loved last years show.

That being said, the designers really need to get away from doing rehashed Cadets shows. All it will do is eventually draw tireless comparisons to the original.

How many people have said all Bucs do is repeat Phantom or SCV? Or now MBI repeating Bucs.

Let them carry the uniform, but do music the Cadets haven't done and put their own spin on things.

I like that C2 is playing stuff out of the "greatest hits" bucket. Heck, we have whole alumni corps appearing at DCA shows that do nothing but old stuff, so why can't a competitive corps play some updated arrangements of the parent corps' classics?

C2 has done more to bring new and younger fans to DCA in the last two years than every other corps, the over all association, and it's legacy fans have...combined. Doubled. Times by 10. It seems to me they should do whatever they want...

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

How in the world can you do "MY Favorite Things" and not in include Malaguena is a mystery to me!

Despite the fact that it is my favorite song in drum corps, I have it on good authority that DCA has stated the next corps to play it is out. :tounge2:

• Like 5

"Out The Door":

"Fave Things" is bad BUT WAY BACK in 1964 "Hello Dolly" was far worse. At the 1964 Barnum 4 of the 5 competing corps used it.

The only one of the five that DIDN'T use it, NY Skyliners, went on to win the show.

Elphaba

• Like 1