Cadets2 show announcement...

MikeD

*sigh* try being the very first corps on (as SoCal Dream typically was) in California in June. Even when you pull off a good run, there weren't enough people in the stands in the early years for it to be anything BUT a golf clap...a crap ton of people were out in the lot watching the WC corps warm up, or only showed for the last couple of headliners.

There was one show where we, literally, outnumbered the crowd.

I judged a band show at J Birney Crum stadium in Allentown PA where there were so few people in attendance that looking down from the box it was like looking at a beach and seeing the odd piece of detritus (that was in this case a spectator).

I think the reward of applause from an appreciative audience is fuel that keeps us (okay it's been a while since "us" included "me" but I'll still use "us") going, there's more to it as well - just the drive to bring the show up a notch, to bang that one amazing run of the show, whether you do it before 20,000 or 20 in a parking lot in North Jersey.

But yeah, a large crowd is nice. And appreciative? Even nicer.

Makes one miss those Southern tours back a few decades ago, when folks were just getting on board and couldn't get enough!

*sigh* try being the very first corps on (as SoCal Dream typically was) in California in June. Even when you pull off a good run, there weren't enough people in the stands in the early years for it to be anything BUT a golf clap...a crap ton of people were out in the lot watching the WC corps warm up, or only showed for the last couple of headliners.

There was one show where we, literally, outnumbered the crowd.

All corps drawing for performance positions would solve that problem (mix it up), and in turn maybe make some more bucks for the stadium food and beverage (as example) concessionaires (who are mostly operated by show sponsors themselves or non-profits)---and also increasing the various corps' souvie booth sales by getting the fans into the stadium---thus their cheeks in the seats sooner.

All corps drawing for performance positions would solve that problem (mix it up), and in turn maybe make some more bucks for the stadium food and beverage (as example) concessionaires (who are mostly operated by show sponsors themselves or non-profits)---and also increasing the various corps' souvie booth sales by getting the fans into the stadium---thus their cheeks in the seats sooner.

I would really love to see prelims go this way,..............sure, a corps (or hopefully a few) would shake up the placements from prelims to finals,.................I think it would make the weekend more exciting for the performers and fans,............

Really?,...............which top 5 corps, and what year(s)?

I love how people are always trying to undermined me or insinuate I do not know the facts.

One corps that sticks out that I recorded the video of because I knew someone would be calling me on the carpet on something as juvenile as this was the 2011 Bucs. In the video where I pan the audience for the majority of the show you can see that people are almost stoic for the majority of the show

This is one example I can prove but there are many others. But I feel certain that even video evidence won't hold up around here.

As to the "golf clap" statement, all I can say was we ended up 6th and I for one was thrilled with the reaction we got from the crowd all season. I thought they were very receptive...at least to us. Can't speak for anyone else.

Dan

best reaction CV has gotten in many years......fans were not expecting the direction you guys took ( unless they watched you on the DCI Fan Network) and were overwhelmed.

I love how people are always trying to undermined me or insinuate I do not know the facts.

One corps that sticks out that I recorded the video of because I knew someone would be calling me on the carpet on something as juvenile as this was the 2011 Bucs. In the video where I pan the audience for the majority of the show you can see that people are almost stoic for the majority of the show

This is one example I can prove but there are many others. But I feel certain that even video evidence won't hold up around here.

personally I was speaking only of finals night myself.

Sure, some shows do get some polite applause early season. Some shows just don't connect. But at a DCA show, by and large, the reaction is more outgoing than your usual DCI show. I know in 2011 at Lewisburg, the crowd was so overwhelmed by MBI, that yeah, Bucs reaction wasn't as boisterous as it could have been.

best reaction CV has gotten in many years......fans were not expecting the direction you guys took ( unless they watched you on the DCI Fan Network) and were overwhelmed.

I hope people saw that direction as a good thing, because this year will move us even further down the path I think.

Dan

2011 Bucs finals run in Rochester?,...................please do share the video

You don't know facts. You say you know facts. You say you have them in your back pocket and we should believe you, but you don't ever show the facts. Your "facts" are based on other people, and histories from previous years. Because we all know previous years scores have 100% impact on this current shows.

Also, please tell me where the audience gave us a golf clap.

I guess it's funny that since you base everything on previous years "facts," that you recorded something in 2011 knowing full well you'd need to prove something down the line in 2 years.

The question has been asked and you've ignored it. What corps and years have people not received applause. To date, your only response has been "I wasn't in Wildwood."

:EDIT: I already know that IF you ever choose to respond, it will have to be a Rochester year where the hometown crowd is EXTREMELY biased.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight, you say people calling you on the carpet over something so juvenile, and they wouldn't believe you, yet you claim (see below), then admit you've never been to Wildwood. So what shows have YOU seen, first hand, early on to back up your words below? Go ahead, I'll wait.

Signed,

Someone who actually marched in a corps that played Malaguena

Even corps like Empire, Cabs and Bucs have a hard time getting peeps off their duffs for anything more than the golf clap or maybe some woo hoos during impact points of the show.