star/crown similarities?

I remember criticism of them from fans, and there was talk of them having to put up with obscenities. On the 93 Fan Network I seem to hear a "G. D. You" near the start and other unintelligible things from those same voices. I've always wondered if anyone knows if those people are complaining because of the material or because of the history. Assuming that's what they're really saying.

My sense in similarities and in comparisons is that we have witnessed far more vitriol created with the current last few years edition of the Blue Devils than to the Star of Indiana. Keep in mind that both had considerable resources that made some jealous,... both rose up quickly from their start up to make the Finals, both faster than any other 2 Corps in DCI history.... both had early edition shows that were fan friendly... both had later shows that were not as fan friendly... both had shows in their early going that, despite being fan friendly, were not judge friendly... both Corps, later in their years, had shows that were not as fan friendly, but were very judge friendly... both Corps were booed....but ( imo ) the booing was not because of the money they had available to themselves, as the jealousy in the early going gave way later to other reasons as to why they were not as well received with national fans, ie it was their shows, imo.... it is also my belief that Star of Indiana had a shorter stint of criticism as they had a shorter stint with controversial shows ( 1, or 2 at most ). BD, by contrast has received much longer criticisms for their shows, imo ( longer than Star's 1 or 2 years )... Carolina Crown , on the whole, has not received anywhere near the level of criticism that both BD and the Star of Indiana have among national, coast to coast fans. As such, the similarities between the Star of Indiana and Crown is nowhere near as compelling to me as the that of between Star and BD. All this said, I really believe that the differences between all 3 of these Corps is much more striking and more distinquishable than the smaller number and degree of similarities between any 2 combination of the 3 of them. Thats my take on all this anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

My sense in similarities and in comparisons is that we have witnessed far more vitriol created with the current last few years edition of the Blue Devils than to the Star of Indiana.

A significant difference between Star and BD booing: BD booing only took place while scores were being announced. No one boo'd their performances.

As I said previously -- it might be interesting to hear what Star or Crown FMM have to say on the subject. Otherwise this thread is doomed to follow the course of all the rest of the Crown / Star threads.

New Kids on the Block? Crown has been a part of DCI for 24 years, 18 of those years were in the WC top 12, and 6 of those years in the WC top 5. Other than accomplishing their first Gold Medal this past year, how are they even remotely considered New Kids on the Block?

I8 years as WC Top 12? I'd go back and look again as that is incorrect.

Edited by Zeke

I8 years as WC Top 12? I'd go back and look again as that is incorrect.

1995 2000 2006 2011 =18

1996 2001 2007 2012

1997 2003 2008 2013

1998 2004 2009

1999 2005 2010

A significant difference between Star and BD booing: BD booing only took place while scores were being announced. No one boo'd their performances.

As I said previously -- it might be interesting to hear what Star or Crown FMM have to say on the subject. Otherwise this thread is doomed to follow the course of all the rest of the Crown / Star threads.

I've never been to a show and heard a Corps booed at the completion of their performance.... ever. Not Star, not any Corps. I guess I'm been fortunate in this regard. If its happened, for me, its like that question, if a tree falls in the forest and noone's there......

Edited by BRASSO

I've never been to a show and heard a Corps booed at the completion of their performance.... ever. Not Star, not any Corps. I guess I'm been fortunate in this regard. If its happened, for me, its like that question, if a tree falls in the forest and noone's there......

I heard Star boo'ed at shows in 93. I saw many shows that season (mostly in the midwest), and there were a few shows they were boo'ed: coming on the field/pre-show, directly after the show; when they were announced as winning the show. Perhaps I was around more boisterous, vocal minority-type fans than you, and I would never say the boo'ing was stadium-wide. But I heard Star boo'ed at multiple shows in 1993 (and once in 1992).

But I heard Star boo'ed at multiple shows in 1993 (and once in 1992).

If so, and I do believe you, then the booing for Star of Indiana can not be likely attibutable to any show they put out on the field. This is because their '92 show and '93 show could not have been any more different between the 2 of them. It is exremely rare for any Corps to be booed after their show performance. I would have to chalk this up to competitive jealousy in some regional areas among a few Corps fans of a rival midwest Corps or some such. It didn't happened to Star ever in New England.. any year.. here. The Star of Indiana in '92 was very well received in Beverly Ma for that year's show. They got a huge Standing O, I was there. But Star also had no viable regional competition in the early 90's with local Corps here as 27th were long gone by then, and Boston was way in the back of the pack at this stage of the early 90's. Crown has never had any booing after a performance that I'm aware of. I would estimate that probably 99% of Drum Corps that have ever existed have never received booing at the completion of their performance show. The Star of Indiana, and now regretably the current Blue Devils, are one of the " 1%'ers " that share this unfortunate similarity within their history.

Edited by BRASSO

I would estimate that probably 99% of Drum Corps that have ever existed have never received booing at the completion of their performance show. The Star of Indiana, and now regretably the current Blue Devils, are one of the " 1%'ers " that share this unfortunate similarity within their history.

When was BD boo'd during or at the end their performance? Boo's at scores yes...boo's during the performance -- never heard it.