SDCA vs Soundsport

******* WARNING THIS IS AN ANTI-DCI THREAD********************

Once again DCI has jumped into someone else's footsteps. SDCA started as a way for small corps to be featured and get exposure that they didn't receive in DCI. Now DCI has started Soundsport "as a way for new corps to form and perform without the cost of touring"

We need SDCA. Having a monopoly in anything is a bad thing. Having DCI control outdoor and indoor drum corps will spell the end of both. While Soundsport is the first thing DCI has ever done for smal corps its only a matter of time before it becomes the same thing DCI has. A way for larger corps to bully smaller corps into inactivity. I know I know, I have no proof if this so I'm not going to bother explaining why I believe this to be so.

With the loss of DCM/DCE and others circuits, even the small ones such as GSC, there is no place where a small corps could perform every weekend with 100/200 miles of their home base. SDCA has been around for several years and has offered a solution and now once again DCI is climbing on the backs of others to take over another sector of the activity.

We need to support SDCA in their efforts

Unless you have solid proof of DCI being the neighborhood bully, you may want to see how everything plays out first. Competing fast food restaurants, box stores, super markets, gas stations, etc. seem to co-exist ok. Granted, there are millions of more customers for the aforementioned industures, but I'd be willing to speculate that DCI and smaller organizations will be able to survive. Seems like they are geared for different audiences and some musicians might be able to do both.

Ehhhhhh... it appears to me that what you really want is for SDCA to have the monopoly. Anyway, if SDCA has a better product, secures better venues, and provides better services for smaller corps than DCI SoundSport does this 'fear' of yours will be a non-issue for SDCA.

Edited by Stu

exactly. and Soundsport is built to be global in nature. SDCA isn't even national

If SDCA cared to be remotely important, it would have marketed better. lol What fraction of DCPers have even heard of it?

I keed, I keed...

But seriously, the point is more kids are getting more opportunities. Remember them? The kids? DCI is working its ### off for SoundSport. Looks good so far. Had fun hearing the few teams in Indy last year. Can't wait for more.

With all due respect, the SDCA isn't even a drop in the drum corps pond compared to DCI and DCA.

Despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of drum corps fans have absolutely no idea what SDCA is proves that. As has been stated above, the SDCA has done a very poor job of marketing itself. Look no further than the poorly written "press releases" posted here on DCP, or the web site that looks like something out of 1995 if you don't believe me.

DCI has been pretty clear who SoundSport is for, and what it's about. If the SDCA wants to get involved, that's great. They should, as should every indoor circuit. But to claim that DCI stolen something from SDCA is ridiculous. Especially when you consider that mini-corps and other small ensembles predate the SDCA by *decades*. Heck, even DCA has been involved with this sort of thing for over twenty years.

• Like 2