SDCA vs Soundsport

Maybe; I Googled it again just now and here, in order, are the links from Google's first page:

1) San Diego Combat Academy (admittedly pretty badarse sounding)

2) San Diego Combat Academy, Mission Valley (yes, a SECOND webpage/organization than the first)

3) Schedule, San Diego Combat Academy Mission Valley (apparently San Diego is an arse-kicking town)

4) San Diego Cricket Academy (for the more-civilized/less fighting San Diegan)

5) San Diego Chinese Academy

6) San Diego Concierge Association

7) South Dakota Chiropractor's Association (maybe San Diego would be better after all the Combat Academy injuries)

8) Small Drum Corps Association (there it is)

9) Student Development and Campus Activities (from pace.edu)

10) Scottish Deerhound Club of America

11) South Dakota Counseling Association

So I guess based on my search yesterday it moved up a spot on my google search

do you live in California?

There really is no SDCA vs DCI SS. SDCA is just doing it’s own thing. We work with community festivals to get these smaller groups into a paid parades and then entertain the community with a drum corps show either indoor or outdoor the same day, what ever the community will support. With this method we have given the performing groups from $800 to $2500 for each performance in 2013. Our staff are volunteers so it is difficult to get all this together and do a good publicity job. We are trying our best. Since 2007 we have grown to seven regions: Southern Cal, Texas, Gulf Coast, Central, Northern and Eastern Midwest with Florida moving along slowly. We have had 40 groups perform at our shows. Additionally we have assisted Canada in forming their own circuit and provided our theme music to South Africa groups.

I have been in contact with John DeNovi, the DCI Sound Sport director, and we are working together to get smaller community based corps formed. John will be inviting SDCA groups to perform in DCI SS shows and he will be and has been giving me the names of the new DCI SS team so that I can invite them to SDCA shows. I hope this has answered the thread.

• Like 5

Maybe stop whining and update SDCA's website so it doesn't look like it's from 1995? SoundSport isn't just "small corps," it's a number of different kinds of performing ensembles with musical roots in the marching arts. It's good for kids, and dirt-cheap to put together, so corps pay-outs aren't really an issue. It's as grassroots as it gets.

Perhaps it feels like you're getting attacked because you're spewing things that are attack-worthy. lol

Whatever circuit helps more kids get more opportunities is always ok in my book. It's about them first, not us first.

Is someone volunteering to be the web master? We could use more help.

Thanks to both look what new and returning corps may be competing this summer:

DCI Corps

Coastal Surge, Columbians, Spirit of Newark, Tampa Bay Thunder, The Watchmen, Incognito, Guardians, Golden Empire, Eruption,

Louisiana Stars and maybe next year (Southwind & The Railmen). Loss ( VK, Revolution, Forte, Glassmen and Teal Sound).

DCA Corps

Chops, Skyliners, Alliance, Thunder Brigade, Centurions or maybe Lakeshoremen. Loss Empire (retired) and Renegades who may return in 2015. For the first time since I can remember, DCI and DCA are gaining more corps than their losing. Keep up the good work SDCA and Soundsports, the competing numbers are finally beginning to turn around.

So people knock SDCA because of the google results. But laud DCI for a format that has been dead for 30 years (A-60). What does the open class format do for small corps? Has DCI ever presented a small corps simulcast? Are they marketed as equally as the larger corps? Someone mentioned that Soundpsort does not pay corps but SDCA does. So who does more for small corps. At least they are spreading the wealth around no matter how little it is.

SDCA does not have the financial resources of DCI and is very grass roots. Yes they need to market more. We preach that more needs to be done to help the activity but as soon as someone does something people sit in their lounge chairs on the internet and do everything they can to knock them.

Sadly the more I read things on DCP the more I dislike this activity and the people in involves.

you do realize Soundsport is being set up to be so much more about performing for a score right?

SDCA has a great idea that has been, IMO, marketed poorly. Soundsport is an idea that is similar in some respects, with a whole lot more going for it and ways for it to branch out.

• Like 1

This particular sentence of yours is very interesting, and here is why: You claim to want to support small drum corps; that means you should actually celebrate any organization attempting to do that very thing. Not only SDCA, but celebrate Drum Corps North America, DCNA, for what they are attempting to accomplish; celebrate DCA for what they did in an attempt to help mini-corps and other small corps;celebrate DCI for what they are trying to do with SoundSport to help small corps. Instead, in your first post which stared this thread, you actually preached that less needs to be done by other organizations apart from SDCA to help the small drum corps, and you did this while you were the one sitting in your lounge chair on the internet doing everything you could to knock DCI attempting to help small corps with SoundSport.

:babies::worthy:

There really is no SDCA vs DCI SS. SDCA is just doing it’s own thing. We work with community festivals to get these smaller groups into a paid parades and then entertain the community with a drum corps show either indoor or outdoor the same day, what ever the community will support. With this method we have given the performing groups from $800 to $2500 for each performance in 2013. Our staff are volunteers so it is difficult to get all this together and do a good publicity job. We are trying our best. Since 2007 we have grown to seven regions: Southern Cal, Texas, Gulf Coast, Central, Northern and Eastern Midwest with Florida moving along slowly. We have had 40 groups perform at our shows. Additionally we have assisted Canada in forming their own circuit and provided our theme music to South Africa groups.

I have been in contact with John DeNovi, the DCI Sound Sport director, and we are working together to get smaller community based corps formed. John will be inviting SDCA groups to perform in DCI SS shows and he will be and has been giving me the names of the new DCI SS team so that I can invite them to SDCA shows. I hope this has answered the thread.

great news!

Thanks for this posting!!!! Best wishes to SDCA, and I hope Blackstar will join your cause in 'helping all drum corps organizations work with each other' in benefiting small corps!!!

you do realize Soundsport is being set up to be so much more about performing for a score right?

SDCA has a great idea that has been, IMO, marketed poorly. Soundsport is an idea that is similar in some respects, with a whole lot more going for it and ways for it to branch out.

I agree it's generally a good idea, but they've also set themselves up for problems with some of the rules and guidelines, at least as displayed on the SDCA web site.

No provisions for pit instruments? Everything must be on wheels? No mention of power sources at all? No mention of props or floors should a group with to use them? Requiring performing groups to participate in playing a mass-piece at the end of every show? Urging (though not required) color presentations? SDCA needs to join the 21st century with some of their ideas, or they'll chase potential groups away before they even get them.

Edited by Kamarag