SDCA vs Soundsport

At this bpoint not seeing much difference between the two other than SDCA does pay thier corps for appearence and Soundsport does not

I have read your entire post many, many, many times, and I must say that I have yet to find the respect which you promised is due; just sayin'. :whistle:

I admit that was a bit of an inside joke for the folks in the DCA forums that have read posts about the SDCA over the last year or two. Probably a bit too 'inside baseball' for this forum, and easily misread. Not a huge deal...the gist of my reply stands.

******* WARNING THIS IS AN ANTI-DCI THREAD********************

Once again DCI has jumped into someone else's footsteps. SDCA started as a way for small corps to be featured and get exposure that they didn't receive in DCI. Now DCI has started Soundsport "as a way for new corps to form and perform without the cost of touring"

We need SDCA. Having a monopoly in anything is a bad thing. Having DCI control outdoor and indoor drum corps will spell the end of both. While Soundsport is the first thing DCI has ever done for smal corps its only a matter of time before it becomes the same thing DCI has. A way for larger corps to bully smaller corps into inactivity. I know I know, I have no proof if this so I'm not going to bother explaining why I believe this to be so.

With the loss of DCM/DCE and others circuits, even the small ones such as GSC, there is no place where a small corps could perform every weekend with 100/200 miles of their home base. SDCA has been around for several years and has offered a solution and now once again DCI is climbing on the backs of others to take over another sector of the activity.

We need to support SDCA in their efforts

1) I've been a drum corps fan since 1990, and I've NEVER heard of SDCA until this post. I googled "SDCA," and its the second to last hit on the first page (i.e. you have to scroll down a bit to see it). I think that could potentially say something about the organization, perhaps about its viability, definitely about its ability to penetrate the marketplace and advertise to its consumers.

2) as pointed out, DCI HAS done things for smaller corps (see previous A60, Div. III, and current Open Class corps - such as BDC, who perform at DCI shows). Do they do "enough?" That's an argument for sure, but they do stuff

3) also pointed out before, DCA has been doing things with smaller corps for a long time. I think it's more likely DCI saw DCA's "mini-corps" model and decided to do something similar to meet their goals of outreach to smaller, start-up, or community-driven performance ensembles.

I can understand frustration of feeling like DCI has established something that is already going on with SDCA. Again, I would say at the very least SDCA has branding issues, has not been able to make itself known to drum corps fans (and heck, their website looks woefully outdated). Perhaps SDCA can find a way to collaborate with DCI's similar venture in ways that BOTH can grow and thrive.

• Like 1

is there something stopping an ensemble from competing in both?

i don't think so

I googled SDCA and it's the first result.

1) I've been a drum corps fan since 1990, and I've NEVER heard of SDCA until this post. I googled "SDCA," and its the second to last hit on the first page (i.e. you have to scroll down a bit to see it). I think that could potentially say something about the organization, perhaps about its viability, definitely about its ability to penetrate the marketplace and advertise to its consumers.

Likely the result of people Googling it over the last few days...

Maybe; I Googled it again just now and here, in order, are the links from Google's first page:

1) San Diego Combat Academy (admittedly pretty badarse sounding)

2) San Diego Combat Academy, Mission Valley (yes, a SECOND webpage/organization than the first)

3) Schedule, San Diego Combat Academy Mission Valley (apparently San Diego is an arse-kicking town)

4) San Diego Cricket Academy (for the more-civilized/less fighting San Diegan)

5) San Diego Chinese Academy

6) San Diego Concierge Association

7) South Dakota Chiropractor's Association (maybe San Diego would be better after all the Combat Academy injuries)

8) Small Drum Corps Association (there it is)

9) Student Development and Campus Activities (from pace.edu)

10) Scottish Deerhound Club of America

11) South Dakota Counseling Association

So I guess based on my search yesterday it moved up a spot on my google search

Maybe; I Googled it again just now and here, in order, are the links from Google's first page:

1) San Diego Combat Academy (admittedly pretty badarse sounding)

2) San Diego Combat Academy, Mission Valley (yes, a SECOND webpage/organization than the first)

3) Schedule, San Diego Combat Academy Mission Valley (apparently San Diego is an arse-kicking town)

So I guess based on my search yesterday it moved up a spot on my google search

Well I just moved these guys up and wondering if it was part of the military out there. Nope some self defense/MMA place(s).

Was there for work and was on the wrong side of the building to see the real kick azz guyz. Guy who was with me asked if I saw the morning show. Turned out Navy Seals were doing a run thru of attacking the beach. Paddled the rafts from who know where, ran out with the weapons and "took" the beach. Nothing like working for the Navy (me) to get some offbeat travel stories.

Edited by JimF-LowBari