SDCA vs Soundsport

Well I just moved these guys up and wondering if it was part of the military out there. Nope some self defense/MMA place(s).

Was there for work and was on the wrong side of the building to see the real kick azz guyz. Guy who was with me asked if I saw the morning show. Turned out Navy Seals were doing a run thru of attacking the beach. Paddled the rafts from who know where, ran out with the weapons and "took" the beach. Nothing like working for the Navy (me) to get some offbeat travel stories.

Yeah one of the nicest beaches/resorts in San Diego shares a beach with the Navy SEALs base (Coronado Island). The Hotel Del Coronado was a site for the Marilyn Monroe film SOME LIKE IT HOT, and it wouldn't bee too uncommon to wander around the beach at the hotel and see the SEALs running by.

Yeah one of the nicest beaches/resorts in San Diego shares a beach with the Navy SEALs base (Coronado Island). The Hotel Del Coronado was a site for the Marilyn Monroe film SOME LIKE IT HOT, and it wouldn't bee too uncommon to wander around the beach at the hotel and see the SEALs running by.

Yep, forgot I was on Coronado Island when this happened but was in the Navy BOQ which (this one anyway) looks like a high rise. Drove by the Hotel Coronado a few times but bigger memory was the truck on fire at the end of the bridge our last day there (Someone is telling us to go home....). LOL - not to mention flying out of the airport 3 minutes before the noise curfew kicks in and all... flights.... stop....

So people knock SDCA because of the google results. But laud DCI for a format that has been dead for 30 years (A-60). What does the open class format do for small corps? Has DCI ever presented a small corps simulcast? Are they marketed as equally as the larger corps? Someone mentioned that Soundpsort does not pay corps but SDCA does. So who does more for small corps. At least they are spreading the wealth around no matter how little it is.

SDCA does not have the financial resources of DCI and is very grass roots. Yes they need to market more. We preach that more needs to be done to help the activity but as soon as someone does something people sit in their lounge chairs on the internet and do everything they can to knock them.

Sadly the more I read things on DCP the more I dislike this activity and the people in involves.

So people knock SDCA because of the google results. But laud DCI for a format that has been dead for 30 years (A-60). What does the open class format do for small corps? Has DCI ever presented a small corps simulcast? Are they marketed as equally as the larger corps? Someone mentioned that Soundpsort does not pay corps but SDCA does. So who does more for small corps. At least they are spreading the wealth around no matter how little it is.

SDCA does not have the financial resources of DCI and is very grass roots. Yes they need to market more. We preach that more needs to be done to help the activity but as soon as someone does something people sit in their lounge chairs on the internet and do everything they can to knock them.

Sadly the more I read things on DCP the more I dislike this activity and the people in involves.

I don't think it's "knocking SDCA," more like a declaration of "I have zero idea SDCA existed until your first post, and even when I googled 'SDCA' it took extra time to figure out exactly what you were talking about."

I don't think you'll get many arguments that DCI is looking out primarily for its smaller, developing corps. However, when you make claims such as

While Soundsport is the first thing DCI has ever done for smal corps

You WILL get arguments. Yes, Soundsport is new ground for DCI, and I don't think they've simulcast any of their performances yet. I do know that I've actually heard of Soundsport though, so my definition for me personally DCI is doing more for that arena of performance than SDCA since I never heard of them before you referred to their acronym and I googled searched.

It seems like most posts on your topic were either "I never heard of this before your reference," or "hopefully BOTH Soundsport & SDCA can thrive together." Why can't they? Why can SDCA groups compete in Soundsport (and vice versa)?

Obviously you're very passionate for Soundsport, which might be why you seem to be taking this stuff personally or something. I haven't read ANYONE "knocking" SDCA: at worst I've heard people say, "they have little/no presence from a branding standpoint" which you mention above in reference to SDCA needing to market more.

We preach that more needs to be done to help the activity but as soon as someone does something people sit in their lounge chairs on the internet and do everything they can to knock them.

This particular sentence of yours is very interesting, and here is why: You claim to want to support small drum corps; that means you should actually celebrate any organization attempting to do that very thing. Not only SDCA, but celebrate Drum Corps North America, DCNA, for what they are attempting to accomplish; celebrate DCA for what they did in an attempt to help mini-corps and other small corps;celebrate DCI for what they are trying to do with SoundSport to help small corps. Instead, in your first post which stared this thread, you actually preached that less needs to be done by other organizations apart from SDCA to help the small drum corps, and you did this while you were the one sitting in your lounge chair on the internet doing everything you could to knock DCI attempting to help small corps with SoundSport.

• Like 1

I suppose you could always look at it as "DCI took our grass roots idea and thought it was so great they copied it and added the force of their marketing department." Might make the glass more half-full for him.

(Known of SDCA for a while, but only because I read their posts on here.)

Mike

I suppose you could always look at it as "DCI took our grass roots idea and thought it was so great they copied it and added the force of their marketing department." Might make the glass more half-full for him.

Oh boo hoo. a) DCI did no such thing; the idea for SoundSport and DrumBattle was spawned across the ocean in countries like Malaysia and Indonesia; and b) Cross copying of ideas happen all the time in the, um, free market. And if a company like Samuel Adams Beer can start the way they did, which was very, very small, and grow to the level they are currently at while going up against companies like Budweiser and Coors, so can SDCA grow along with Soundsport.

And if a company like Samuel Adams Beer can start the way they did, which was very, very small, and grow to the level they are currently at while going up against companies like Budweiser and Coors, so can SDCA grow along with Soundsport.

My lunch was much better just now with a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Have to drive 40 miles to Mesquite, NV, since you won't find the high test stuff of any brand here in UT.

This particular sentence of yours is very interesting, and here is why: You claim to want to support small drum corps; that means you should actually celebrate any organization attempting to do that very thing. Not only SDCA, but celebrate Drum Corps North America, DCNA, for what they are attempting to accomplish; celebrate DCA for what they did in an attempt to help mini-corps and other small corps;celebrate DCI for what they are trying to do with SoundSport to help small corps. Instead, in your first post which stared this thread, you actually preached that less needs to be done by other organizations apart from SDCA to help the small drum corps, and you did this while you were the one sitting in your lounge chair on the internet doing everything you could to knock DCI attempting to help small corps with SoundSport.

Hate to say it, but Stu nailed the logic on this one.

Maybe stop whining and update SDCA's website so it doesn't look like it's from 1995? SoundSport isn't just "small corps," it's a number of different kinds of performing ensembles with musical roots in the marching arts. It's good for kids, and dirt-cheap to put together, so corps pay-outs aren't really an issue. It's as grassroots as it gets.

Perhaps it feels like you're getting attacked because you're spewing things that are attack-worthy. lol

Whatever circuit helps more kids get more opportunities is always ok in my book. It's about them first, not us first.