How to play a GG Contra

PhanCademy

Hey, soooo sorry for being a noob but I have zero idea how to do this.

So I'm marching with one of the new Sound Sport teams, and we are marching on G Bugles. I'm a euphonium player by heart but I've always wanted to march contra/tuba so how does the fingering chart go? And I also am curious if you have a concert B flat on a B flat horn like a euphonium, then the G pitch on a G bugle on the staff, is it the G below or above the B flat . . . The Bb I am speaking of, is if you're reading in Bass Cleff and its on the 2nd to last staffline down (I am so sorry if that made no sense . . . Which it probably did XP)

So I'm not sure if they're going to be 2 or 3 valves so if anyone has a finger chart for both that'd be awesome.

Thanks much!

Argh.... can't find the site right now but either Getzen or Kanstul had a fingering chart on their website. Used it for my cheat sheet when I started again after 15 years. And then when I went from 2v to 3v.

Fingering for 2 or 3v would be the same. If you are on 2v there just will not be some notes that you could play.

Edit: OK Mr Memory had the wrong manufacturer as it was Dynasty here is the chart.

http://dynastyband.com/graphics/buglefingerchart.pdf

Again any notes that have a 3... well you're SOL (stuff outta luck)....

Below is a thread that might help....

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/130353-help-needed-123valved-g-bugle-fingering-for-scales/

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Our arranger would just put the music in what we called Texas Clef...the notes were correct for the ensemble, but on the page they were written so we just read the notes with Bb fingerings. (not exactly clear... the written notes on the page would be, for example, Bb, F, Bb and were all played open, but the notes coming out the bell were C, G, C)

Most arrangers will probably be using Finale or some similar program and should be able to give you a copy of music in whatever way makes your brain happy.

For a G hornline, the music isn't written in concert pitch (normally). You should be able to read it like a normal tuba part. If it's bass clef, you read it as written, if it's treble clef, you read it like you would as a trumpet.

I staff and play in a Sound Sport group which uses three generations of G contra: piston/rotor, 2 valve, and 3 valve. I am the only contra player who reads treble clef. I would like my section to learn treble clef because myself and the caption head prefer to reference notes by their treble clef names. Maybe next season...

This Texas Clef thing is nothing new. It's supposed to make transition for Bb tuba players easier. I play Bb and C tubas, so the switch to G was easiest by switching clefs for contra only. I read my other tubas in standard bass clef. I can read contra in standard bass clef, but in this transposed Texas clef I have a miserable time. I'm a very aural person, so when I see Bb in bass clef I expect to hear a Bb not a G.

Anyway, I have made charts for everything from G/D/F# bugles to 4 valve GG contras. Let me know what you want.

Just don't do what I tried to at my first corps rehearsal and read in concert pitch, I tried the 2v trick of reading like a BBb horn with third valve stuck down and it was miserable.

Edited by Ric R.
  • Like 1

I think just printing the music I felt bad for you Ric!