The Cadets - 2014

Has anyone seen these "stages" or does anyone know exactly how they will be used? All this conjecture and no one has seen the show yet. We don't know how useful anything will be in ANY show because it's March, and no one has competed on the field yet. And you don't need to necessarily be "innovative" to win a championship, although it does help.

True, that you don't need to be innovative to win, but I want them to be. I almost don't care if they win or not, so long as they're putting something on the field I've never seen before.

I feel like I'll need to go cleanse my soul after typing this, but part of me wonders if I haven't been enjoying BD more and more because they're doing stuff I haven't seen before or in ways that haven't been done before. I may not "get" their show per se, but I can't argue that it's not interesting to me.

Narration's been done. Stages have been done. I may end up digging the show come August, but right now I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be "This... They Believe: Presidential Quotes in 4 Parts With Some Stages"

• Like 1

True, that you don't need to be innovative to win, but I want them to be. I almost don't care if they win or not, so long as they're putting something on the field I've never seen before.

I feel like I'll need to go cleanse my soul after typing this, but part of me wonders if I haven't been enjoying BD more and more because they're doing stuff I haven't seen before or in ways that haven't been done before. I may not "get" their show per se, but I can't argue that it's not interesting to me.

Narration's been done. Stages have been done. I may end up digging the show come August, but right now I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be "This... They Believe: Presidential Quotes in 4 Parts With Some Stages"

Playing horns has been done. Throwing rifles in the air and catching them has been done. Using props, narration, counting out loud, dutting, judging, marching, drill moves, etc. has all been done. Countless pieces has been recycled by other corps and played over and over. Doesn't matter. There are people who still like it. To call a novel a piece of crap before you read it doesn't really give the author any indication that you want to read his book.

Playing horns has been done. Throwing rifles in the air and catching them has been done. Using props, narration, counting out loud, dutting, judging, marching, drill moves, etc. has all been done. Countless pieces has been recycled by other corps and played over and over. Doesn't matter. There are people who still like it. To call a novel a piece of crap before you read it doesn't really give the author any indication that you want to read his book.

YUP...................doesnt matter how often something has been done..............god knows there are corps out there that have done things over and over to death.......the key is , how different can it be done, how fresh and today can it be done, how can something re- cycled seem like it's never been done before......

YUP...................doesnt matter how often something has been done..............god knows there are corps out there that have done things over and over to death.......the key is , how different can it be done, how fresh and today can it be done, how can something re- cycled seem like it's never been done before......

You just made my point. We should wait to see what they do with what they're giving up this summer before we condemn it. Reminds me of the whole hooplah in 2011 with their uniforms. Everyone was all bent out of shape (mostly alum) before they even seen who the uniforms would work with the show.

• Like 1

You just made my point. We should wait to see what they do with what they're giving up this summer before we condemn it. Reminds me of the whole hooplah in 2011 with their uniforms. Everyone was all bent out of shape (mostly alum) before they even seen who the uniforms would work with the show.

that pre- judgement.( usually based on nothing ) has happend alot in this activity with many. some of the coolest things have come out of something out and completely spinning it and turning it up side down...unfortunately then it just spawns the ones who dont want to see the old change but willing to hear or see the same ole done the same ole way....thank goodness not with all

Edited by GUARDLING

that pre- judgement.( usually based on nothing ) has happend alot in this activity with many. some of the coolest things have come out of something out and completely spinning it and turning it up side down...unfortunately then it just spawns the ones who dont want to see the old change but willing to hear or see the same ole done the same ole way....thank goodness not with all

Exactomundo!

problem is... cadets haven't shown any ability to do anything innovative since, like 2005.

if you keep repeating the same action and expect a different result... you're gonna have a bad time. 2011 was cute, but was not a championship show without the uniforms and the drill. other than that show, most shows since 2005 have been milquetoast and derivative of each other... or maybe of whatever self-help book george is in the middle of reading in mid-january.

i am a big fan but not optimistic.

I'm not condemning it. I'm just not super hyped for it. The Cadets used to set the standard for out-of-the-box design and ideas. I just feel like they've been phoning it in recently.

problem is... cadets haven't shown any ability to do anything innovative since, like 2005.

if you keep repeating the same action and expect a different result... you're gonna have a bad time. 2011 was cute, but was not a championship show without the uniforms and the drill. other than that show, most shows since 2005 have been milquetoast and derivative of each other... or maybe of whatever self-help book george is in the middle of reading in mid-january.

How much more can they do without people disliking it? Hell, one could argue BD has been putting out innovative shows for the past few years, but half the people on here don't like it.

I agree with you sorta, but I don't agree with the way you expressed it.

Thing is, I don't really think that 2011's drill was "innovative" as Sky Ryders had that idea way back in 1987.

The Cadets did it better of course, and the drill was masterfully written, clever, cleaner, and more complex, but it wasn't an innovative idea because Sky Ryders did it first. The most innovative idea in Cadets' 2011 show for me was the way their arrangement of Doxology was done so that it sounded demonic and Amazing Grace.

The drill design was an evolutionary idea of '87 Sky Ryders; 160 BPM was an evolutionary reinterpretation of Bloo 2010. Many of those shows have been that way since about 2005 for sure.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1