The Cadets - 2014

The Cadets are basically the Barden Bellas and BD/Crown are the Treblemakers (but not rude/nasty).

they just need Anna Kendrick to teach them to "remix this s***" in an abandoned pool, and everything will be fine.

and if you don't get this joke, go watch Pitch Perfect immediately. serious.

a8d23db3874b0196c00c3242a319bfb0.jpg

• Like 1

I look forward to the borg endlessly defending the indefensible

I look forward to multiple negative comments from negative posters the entire season.

Maybe Wadep66? It's great. We need all sides of a debate to grow....

Thanks for thinking of me :tounge2: .

I liked 11, 12 and 13. In fact, I really think without a sloppy guard and those annoying towers they could have won with last years show with the exact same drill. Did I think 12 was championship worthy? nope. I also didn't think BD 12 was championship worthy. In fact, I didn't even think it was top 3.

I feel like you are implying you don't ever want to hear something on the field more than one time. Ever. I don't feel the same. Do I want to hear West Side Story again?....not for a long time, but Regiment is doing Swan Lake and besides the fact I saw it live in 1986 I'm eagerly awaiting this version. To each his own.

Thanks for thinking of me :tounge2: .

I liked 11, 12 and 13. In fact, I really think without a sloppy guard and those annoying towers they could have won with last years show with the exact same drill. Did I think 12 was championship worthy? nope. I also didn't think BD 12 was championship worthy. In fact, I didn't even think it was top 3.

I feel like you are implying you don't ever want to hear something on the field more than one time. Ever. I don't feel the same. Do I want to hear West Side Story again?....not for a long time, but Regiment is doing Swan Lake and besides the fact I saw it live in 1986 I'm eagerly awaiting this version. To each his own.

Well, I thought you reacted more strongly than I would expect to a previous post of mine, but I welcome hearing about an opposing perspective when it is backed up with thought.

I LOVE hearing music that has been played before; I'm not the posted with that particular issue. I will applaud it when it is done wonderfully, and I will criticize it when I feel that it doesn't live up to other versions OR if it doesn't live up to the capabilities of those who construct it. Since this is a Cadet thread, I hold them to one of the highest standards; they have one of the most talented teams around.

Sorry if I come across as harsh or brash; I love The Cadets and want them to have the best vehicle possible.

The Cadets are basically the Barden Bellas and BD/Crown are the Treblemakers (but not rude/nasty).

they just need Anna Kendrick to teach them to "remix this s***" in an abandoned pool, and everything will be fine.

and if you don't get this joke, go watch Pitch Perfect immediately. serious.

a8d23db3874b0196c00c3242a319bfb0.jpg

Oh my gosh so much yes.

The Cadets are basically the Barden Bellas....

So is Hop the one projectile vomiting all over the place...?

• Like 1

I understand both sides and agree with some aspects of both.

So you know where I'm coming from -- Cadets of the 90s is my high-bar, it's what I compare everything to (esp. 1992, 1993, 1997-1998). In my opinion, what the design team produces has become more inconsistent as we've moved away from 2000 -- we have high-water marks like 2005 and 2011, disappointing years like 2004, 2008, 2010, and good-but-not-great like 2003, 2009, 2013.

I recognize that all corps shows have become more theme-driven in the last 10-15 years, so to some extent it's apples and oranges to compare what went on in the 90s to what goes on today. Still, marching and playing/spinning is still marching and playing/spinning. I do try to remember that 2005 and 2011 were brilliant shows, and that they indeed hit the home run only 3 years ago, and won music last year. I recognize that NO corps stays completely away from familiar music or familiar concepts, at least not for very long. And I do recognize that most corps would kill for the level of consistency that The Cadets achieves.

At the same time, I (and many here) hold The Cadets to higher standards than nearly any other corps. And that's what it comes down to. We expect the nearly impossible, because we've seen them do it and it's what many of us grew to love about them.

It is only May, and we've barely heard any hornline recordings, heard virtually nothing about the visual design or guard uniforms, etc. We'll all be able to make real judgments soon. And I do know that time can soften our opinions, so I keep in mind that my panties often become unbunched (or less bunched) as time goes on. :)

• Like 5

[...]

It is only May, and we've barely heard any hornline recordings, heard virtually nothing about the visual design or guard uniforms, etc. We'll all be able to make real judgments soon. And I do know that time can soften our opinions, so I keep in mind that my panties often become unbunched (or less bunched) as time goes on. :)

great post

2013 Symphony No. 1 - Previously performed well and made "famous" by SCV most recently in 1999 when they won the DCI championship. I'm sorry, I don't care for The Cadet arrangement.

2013 Adagio for Strings - Previously performed very well and made "famous" by SCV most recently in 2000. I'm sorry, I don't care for The Cadet treatment. Performed at a high level but just antiseptic.

2013 Medea - Previously performed by quite a few corps, but most famously as part of Star of Indiana's 1993 show. I'm sorry, I don't care for The Cadet treatment. Performed at a high level but just flat and cerebral.

I listen to Cadets 2013 a lot. I find their music and arrangements to be incredible. From a musical standpoint, they exceeded all expecations.

They are playing Barber. It's sad, it's conflicting and so often full of anger. From a musical standpoint, their portrayal is spot on. When have they done such a conflicting musical show before? Nothing like this and my ears are appreciative of the effort. It's just plain gorgeous.

However, the issue I find with the show is from a visual standpoint. What did they use from a visual standpoint to portray the above Barber characteristics?

While I appreciate the colors used in the towers and on the guard, they do little to convey what the music portrays. The guard sometimes comes across as a clown posse with cute little non-rifle equipment and copper bendy poles in one of the saddest pieces of music ever put on the field. Maybe some of what was shown was understood. IMO it didn't match.

I loved Vanguard's Barber shows - both 1999 and 2000. They weren't perfect (for example, to this day I still don't think Blue Shades matched anything else they played in 1999), but they captured what I would expect to see in a Barber show.

I think Cadets 2013 would have worked much better with different music. However, I"ll finish by saying that musically the show is spectacular.

Edited by Lincoln

So you know where I'm coming from -- Cadets of the 90s is my high-bar, it's what I compare everything to (esp. 1992, 1993, 1997-1998). In my opinion, what the design team produces has become more inconsistent as we've moved away from 2000 -- we have high-water marks like 2005 and 2011, disappointing years like 2004, 2008, 2010, and good-but-not-great like 2003, 2009, 2013.

I recognize that all corps shows have become more theme-driven in the last 10-15 years, so to some extent it's apples and oranges to compare what went on in the 90s to what goes on today. Still, marching and playing/spinning is still marching and playing/spinning. I do try to remember that 2005 and 2011 were brilliant shows, and that they indeed hit the home run only 3 years ago, and won music last year. I recognize that NO corps stays completely away from familiar music or familiar concepts, at least not for very long. And I do recognize that most corps would kill for the level of consistency that The Cadets achieves.

At the same time, I (and many here) hold The Cadets to higher standards than nearly any other corps. And that's what it comes down to. We expect the nearly impossible, because we've seen them do it and it's what many of us grew to love about them.

ya know...you're spot on. no offense to Crown, but they're new to the top...will that turn into a long running spot like Cavies had? We don't know. SCV and Phantom yo-yo around....so the two up there year in and year out are BD and Cadets.

But by following a certain volunteer on FB, I've seen all kinds of stuff as they move into Johnstown. I'm sure we'll see more