The Cadets - 2014

That's it? Almost like the old one better. I hate playing voice overs over the actual corps playing, especially over the musical climax of the show. No thanks. Too much shoved on top of a beautiful musical climax in my eyes. There's a stage with a narrator, guard members, voice over, tarps, flags, boards surrounding the whole field and a huge impact moment. Kind of a cheesey explosion overload if you ask me. The again I never liked the show in the first place.

Edited by DrumManTx

Long, long ago, I studied the Serial Position Effect (primacy and recency). Cadets have now 'locked down' the recency piece. Lots of positive talk now added before their Indy appearance. This change will advance them, no question.

I know, I know . . . . there's TOO MUCH TALK already! This is something else. :wink:

That's it? Almost like the old one better. I hate playing voice overs over the actual corps playing, especially over the musical climax of the show. No thanks. Too much shoved on top of a beautiful musical climax in my eyes. There's a stage with a narrator, guard members, voice over, tarps, flags, boards surrounding the whole field and a huge impact moment. Kind of a cheesey explosion overload if you ask me. The again I never liked the show in the first place.

More is supposedly on the way. :ninja:

Edited by charlie1223

Politics are incredibly annoying. INCREDIBLY.

Patriotic shows are even worse. I do like the majority of this show, but I hate the new ending just as much as I hated the old one.

I'd rather see Drill drill DRILL.

I'm sure that new ending will get people out their seats...just not something I was hoping for.

I totally agree! I was hoping for some insane running and playing, not more of what I already don't like :) Ah well, there is room in drumcorps for all tastes. Seems like Cadets are on an every other year I like their show kind of run the past decade or so.

I am not a fan of the new ending, for the following reasons:

1. The narrator is trying to cram too much into the time before the big hit. That needs to be rewritten.

2. Too preachy. I understand the intent, 'Believe in the PROMISE of America,' etc. but it is so manipulative.

3. It's very tricky to try and balance Obama and Reagan at the end to achieve political neutrality. I am inclined to think that the huge 'Yes We Can' is going to be chanted by half the crowd and hated by the other half. (Well, maybe 52 percent/48 percent.) To quote a sitting President is too dangerous and divisive. I just don't think it's nearly as neutral as the designers think it is.

I guess my opinion would not be admissable on the GE sheets.

• Like 1

New ending has a faint whiff of artistic desperation. Everything but the kitchen sink, plus NEW extra cheesy patriotism. Oh, and giant portraits and saluting and posing and...stuff.

Cadets backed themselves into a design corner here. The whole show is meant to be regal, reflective, solemn and laudatory. So how can you end a show like this? You could write a classic run and gun, 200 bpm Cadet finale, but that would be out of keeping with the rest of the show (and probably too difficult to implement so late in the season). So instead, we get this portentous, puffed-up pageantry.

I for one am looking forward to Cadets 2015.

• Like 3