The Cadets - 2014

Symphony in Bb by Hindemith and Copland's Dance Symphony...come out dark and angry with something that no one has ever heard before. Probably for a good reason...but take the challenge and run with it!

For some reason when I read this post, I thought about Jay Bocook doing an arrangement of Hammersmith by Holst for the Cadets. I think that they could rock out with their........"talent" out with that one.

Watching this show, and I'm cringing at the design and much of the message, even though these kids are AMAZING. Too bad the design is choking their potential.

Patriotism, ultimately, ends up supporting militarism, and glorification of a military that doesn't know when to stop, in a patriotic show, ends up being as heavy handed and ham handed as the military of an imperial power.

So it's absolutely fitting that we have all this grotesque excess in this show.

The new flaggy thing on the stage reminds me of the "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier with Bush speaking in 2003.

I anxiously await 2015, and hope that this design staff never again, ever, goes this route.

America, when we're at our best, aren't celebrating ourselves and deluding ourselves about the glory of power and might. We're at our best when we're humble, hard at work, creative, and just.

Most patriotic shows make me cringe too, but I've got to take issue with what you've said. Patriotism and militarism are not intrinsically connected. Americans have been notably patriotic since the beginning, but the US can only be described as being "militarist" since WW2. Cadets 2014 is more of a classic, cornpone, civic type of patriotism. I don't really see any rah-rah-rah, bomb 'em into the stone age stuff going on in the show.

Watching this show, and I'm cringing at the design and much of the message, even though these kids are AMAZING. Too bad the design is choking their potential.

Patriotism, ultimately, ends up supporting militarism, and glorification of a military that doesn't know when to stop, in a patriotic show, ends up being as heavy handed and ham handed as the military of an imperial power.

So it's absolutely fitting that we have all this grotesque excess in this show.

The new flaggy thing on the stage reminds me of the "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier with Bush speaking in 2003.

I anxiously await 2015, and hope that this design staff never again, ever, goes this route.

America, when we're at our best, aren't celebrating ourselves and deluding ourselves about the glory of power and might. We're at our best when we're humble, hard at work, creative, and just.

Agree. The most unfortunate thing about the design is that it's so self-unaware. I truly believe that the designers didn't intend to link Copland to a set of presidential quotes delivered in the context of wartime and tremendously reflective of wartime politics and pandering, but "didn't intend" doesn't change the reality on the field.

That said-- TREMENDOUS quarterfinals showing. From what I saw, Cadets fully deserved to widen the gap with Bluecoats (who also did extremely well). And I don't fully agree that patriotism necessarily supports militarism-- there is such thing as nuanced patriotism.

Edited by longtimefan2014

We loved the superb talent and creativity on display last night. BD played at a level seldom if ever seen in DCI. Cadets were very strong...sweet brass, guard was superb and the battery run across the field was primo. I do think they will improve some more. They seem to be edging away from those below them, despite that final banner at the end, which actually had us laughing (not the hoped for reaction).

There is a purity in drill design and musical arrangement that is lovable with Cadets, I think.....it is our first time at Indy, and a very cool venue, except for the echo. Tonight will be epic!

• Like 1

For some reason when I read this post, I thought about Jay Bocook doing an arrangement of Hammersmith by Holst for the Cadets. I think that they could rock out with their........"talent" out with that one.

Fugal Overture by Holst would be interesting!

• Like 1

For as much as I have had design issues with Cadets the past two seasons I have to give Hoppy credit for sticking with his concepts and going all in and trying to maximize them. Never has there been a criticism against the performers, the talent and drive is clearly there.

Seriously though, if they pull out any more cheese in that ending will the officially move from Allentown to Wisconsin?

The cheese whiz at the end of the show is funny. Honestly, the corps is so proficient and magnificent that the unnecessary fluff at the end won't hurt them. Some of the GE guys are probably rolling their eyes I'm sure.

For as much as I have had design issues with Cadets the past two seasons I have to give Hoppy credit for sticking with his concepts and going all in and trying to maximize them. Never has there been a criticism against the performers, the talent and drive is clearly there.

Seriously though, if they pull out any more cheese in that ending will the officially move from Allentown to Wisconsin?

There just isn't anymore cheese. Anywhere. I agree with you. Design is developed in November, they're now in autopilot and it's purely performance level by the kids which will determine score/placement.

The cheese whiz at the end of the show is funny. Honestly, the corps is so proficient and magnificent that the unnecessary fluff at the end won't hurt them. Some of the GE guys are probably rolling their eyes I'm sure.

My question is, are the Cadets leaders pushing hard toward this direction because they think it will possibly push them past Blue Devils/keep them ahead of Bluecoats (IOW it's a strategic move for better numbers), or create a "better" show for the crowd?

It's hard to imagine the kids liking the constant ramp-up of the "cheese factor." They surely read this forum and hear what people are saying.

At this point, it is difficult to understand the motivation behind the weekly increases in whatever you want to call it, because it just seems that it isn't getting them any better numbers or fan reaction. Maybe when you get to this point, you grasp at almost anything you think might give you even an incrementally better chance to increase your numbers.

• Like 1