The Cadets - 2014

Narration and politics on top is probably a bad combination for a lot of people on here.

Me, I don't mind narration. And I'm not extreme enough (nor do I care enough) in my political views to find offense in the small things that people are getting upset over.

Basically, electronics + politics = unhappy DCP populace.

I just don't like narration in general, and this is ALOT of it. I also don't like pandering with patriotic stuff. I'm actually very political but in shows (DCI or otherwise) it just seems like such a cheap way to try and score points with the crowd. 'MURICA!

Just watched the video. Now, THAT'S a strong ending, sure to generate twice the applause. This is 'gonna help in so many ways.

I agree. Not sure if it will have a huge impact numbers-wise, but I can definitely see the audience responding far more favorably at the end.

Meh.

Playing political speeches over Simple Gifts, the musical climax of the show, is a huge turn off for me. Perhaps the new staging and the North Korea-esque propaganda posters will change some judges opinions, but I actually think I liked the old version better.

Oh, terrific. Now my brain is producing images of them integrating North Korea's mass games. :-)

I just don't like narration in general, and this is ALOT of it. I also don't like pandering with patriotic stuff. I'm actually very political but in shows (DCI or otherwise) it just seems like such a cheap way to try and score points with the crowd. 'MURICA!

So basically you're the exact crowd I was referring to in my post.

I agree. Not sure if it will have a huge impact numbers-wise, but I can definitely see the audience responding far more favorably at the end.

don't underestimate the crowd reaction in this case - Cadets were paying the price point wise the past week or so with their pancake ending

I'd say a 1-2 point bump once clean - and half the gap with BD

I'd also say they have securely locked up second - all just a hunch obviously

• Like 1

Narration and politics on top is probably a bad combination for a lot of people on here.

Me, I don't mind narration. And I'm not extreme enough (nor do I care enough) in my political views to find offense in the small things that people are getting upset over.

Basically, electronics + politics = unhappy DCP populace.

I'm just fine with narration and electronics - it's all about whether the design team decides to use their powers for good or evil.

I do think that politics in drum corps shows often comes off as heavy-handed and propaganda-esque rather than emotional or powerful.

• Like 1

I'm just fine with narration and electronics - it's all about whether the design team decides to use their powers for good or evil.

I do think that politics in drum corps shows often comes off as heavy-handed and propaganda-esque rather than emotional or powerful.

I can understand that. I personally don't feel that way whatsoever since I don't care enough about politics so I can enjoy these type of things without getting all caught up.

Politics are incredibly annoying. INCREDIBLY.

Patriotic shows are even worse. I do like the majority of this show, but I hate the new ending just as much as I hated the old one.

I'd rather see Drill drill DRILL.

I'm sure that new ending will get people out their seats...just not something I was hoping for.

Does anyone remember the video presentation DCI made at finals in 1991? It was a pretty patriotic event that summer due to the first Iraq war (Desert Shield). In the video presentation they played as the finalists were entering the field for retreat, they interviewed many members of various DCI corps and overlayed patriotic music on top (or maybe the US Marines drum corps was playing live at the time?). Anyway, towards the end, as the music built, the last DCI member to be interviewed was the drum major of the Troopers. The last thing he said was, "I am an American. I am a Trooper." And the crowd went CRAZY BANANAS.