The Cadets - 2014

But leadership, vision etc. are essentially political virtues. It is not truly possible to do full honor to the various presidents without taking into account their politics, decisions, debates and so on. This is why patriotic shows tend to rankle people, as such a show tries to present a bright shiny view of our history while ignoring the difficult realities of really running a country.

it's really not a political show at all, but I guess some folks can't get past "oh god that's a Obama saying" etc... which in my view is extremely myopic

• Like 1

But leadership, vision etc. are essentially political virtues. It is not truly possible to do full honor to the various presidents without taking into account their politics, decisions, debates and so on. This is why patriotic shows tend to rankle people, as such a show tries to present a bright shiny view of our history while ignoring the difficult realities of really running a country.

But a drum corps show that included those difficulties wouldn't be nearly as effective and wouldn't tie into the overall vision and direction this show is portraying, so... it's not political.

Except this show is in NO WAY political

It's purposefully not political

It's about leadership, vision, promise & America. Not politics.

Yes, I see what you mean, but I think it opens the door to 'sound' political when you quote a sitting President, especially his major campaign theme. I wish they would have stuck with dead Presidents.

Some people will be thrilled, some will not. I still think it's a very good show, but not as much as I did earlier in the year.

Yes, I see what you mean, but I think it opens the door to 'sound' political when you quote a sitting President, especially his major campaign theme. I wish they would have stuck with dead Presidents.

Some people will be thrilled, some will not. I still think it's a very good show, but not as much as I did earlier in the year.

I don't disagree with the "dead president" rule of thumb. lol

George just popped up in the YouTube comments and asked for the video to be removed.

'RC ... I am usually a pretty nice guy but ... please take this down.'

Don't disagree. They have the right to launch it before a live audience

It is extremely effective in person!!

Staying away from politics......

I love the new flag work during Simple Gifts. The double flag tosses are great, very EFFECTIVE, and very rarely seen performed.

• Like 1

All the new changes (increased tempos, brass impact points and the new ending) will not win over fans who don't like the show but it will add effect to the show which is what Cadets require competitively. A run and gun ending would have been too much of a "tagged on" ending. I also feel the show is uber controlled as it is and needed a more loose, energetic and emotional ending, not more "drill". Artistically, I think its consistent with the design. If you don't like the design, then no changes were going to pull you in. I think the Cadets have been very good with their changes this season.

• Like 1

Except this show is in NO WAY political

It's purposefully not political

It's about leadership, vision, promise & America. Not politics.

If you choose to use recordings of politicians making political speeches as the centerpiece of your marching band show, people are going to rightly feel your show is about politics (or at least politicians).

If they wanted it to be about "vision, promise & America", they'd just let Copland's music speak for itself. It's far more eloquent than any elected official.

• Like 3

All the new changes (increased tempos, brass impact points and the new ending) will not win over fans who don't like the show but it will add effect to the show which is what Cadets require competitively. A run and gun ending would have been too much of a "tagged on" ending. I also feel the show is uber controlled as it is and needed a more loose, energetic and emotional ending, not more "drill". Artistically, I think its consistent with the design. If you don't like the design, then no changes were going to pull you in. I think the Cadets have been very good with their changes this season.

correct!!! haters will hate lol

If you choose to use recordings of politicians making political speeches as the centerpiece of your marching band show, people are going to rightly feel your show is about politics (or at least politicians).

If they wanted it to be about "vision, promise & America", they'd just let Copland's music speak for itself. It's far more eloquent than any elected official.

I'm not sure where the point is lost on you. It doesn't take a "political stance" of any sort. Therefore it's not about "politics" - it is about leadership, vision and all the things this country has been through. PERIOD.

• Like 1