The Cadets - 2014

I have no card to play in this stupid argument over props. I don't care much about the visual aspect of drum corps shows (I usually only watch a show over the season, after that, I just listen to the audio), especially ones that I won't listen to or watch in the future like this one. As such, I decided not to get involved in that argument.

Yet you chose only to go after him for responding to someone else about what they said about the show.

Honestly they were both being dramatic about it. But I tend to respect Granny's opinions a lot more because she is usually constructive about it. Either way, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Like 1

Yet you chose only to go after him for responding to someone else about what they said about the show.

Honestly they were both being dramatic about it. But I tend to respect Granny's opinions a lot more because she is usually constructive about it. Either way, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Actually I responded to him about him dramaticizing the public response to this show, but, logistics. And agreed, I give more weight to Granny's opinions as well.

Can I also say that the transition between the last two sets before the big first hit in the opener, about 60 seconds into the show - abstract curved form to solid triangle - lasts about three nanoseconds, and is the fastest transition between two sets I've EVER seen, so fast, in fact, that it's actually dangerous.

That's the kind of Cadets I've always loved - right on the edge of possible/impossible. Telling stories with dance and drill. Allowing individual members to express character individually.

I don't want anything spelled out for me. I don't want narration. Big pictures. Nothing obvious.

Ambiguity, a certain elusiveness of fixed meaning, effusiveness of multiple meanings that leads only to further interpretations. That's classic Cadets.

Imagine if they had a narrator for 1998 Stonehenge, and tried to make it DEEP and MEANINGFUL, with lots of props, tarps, and a stage?

"In ancient times, hundreds of years before duh dawn of history, lived a strange race of people…The Druids. Nobody knows…who dey were…or…what dey were doing. But their legacy remains, hewn into the livin' rock, uh Stonehenge!"

- Nigel Tufnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3n7YKjsjA

For quoting Spinal Tap, you sir... get all the internet points for today.

• Like 1

Dear zigzigZAG,

We get it. You hate the message in the Cadets' show. Please move on.

Love,

Wallace

• Like 1

Dear zigzigZAG,

Love,

Wallace

No.

Not until the Cadets become the leaders in design again.

Not until they stop using crutches, groveling for GE instead of creating it. Until they stop pantingly trying to SPELL IT OUT for everyone, as if we're WGI and not DCI, as if we're in ninth grade and have ADD and no nothing about music, dance, or art.

I take it you didn't watch the stonehenge clip I included in my last message. A tragic mistake. Watch it, savor it, chug it like syrup at Denny's at 3:45 am, bathe in it as if it were a vat of warm cheesecake, and Granny Smith were with you to massage the meaning into your quivering loins.

I take it you didn't learn that the excesses of SPELLING IT OUT for everyone, dramatized in the documentary of the legendary mega-group Spinal Tap, should be a lesson for us all.

And as a special present for you, in return for your love, I'll leave you with the last stanza of my favorite poem, which just might be included in the 2018 anniversary/revival/tribute of Cadets 1998 Stonehenge, complete with narration, props, tarps, pods, the color guard tossing stones and spinning henges, and the drumline dressed as Druids, with the word "DRUIDS" embossed down their sleeves, so we….understand.

"And where are they now?

The little children of Stonehenge

And what would they say to us?

If we were here… tonight"

• Like 2

Dear zigzigZAG,

Geez Louise! I take it you use "I take it" far too much. Talk about pretension! Ha! I've watched the Cadets since '82. I've seen 'em good and bad. This show is gouda except for a little lindenberger at the end. We get it. You dislike having the occasional omelette du fromage in your drum corps line-up. Well, over the years, I've found that the ordinary person not only enjoys but has a hanker for a hunk o' cheese from time to time, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Don't ruin it for those that enjoy Cadets 2014. If you don't like 'merica hit the bricks, baby! USA! USA! USA! Cadets all the way!

BTW, everybody knows that Cadets '87 is the best show ever to grace the field.

Love,

Wallace

PS Spinal Tap? Really?

PSS Love you Cadets! You were great tonight!

Dear zigzigZAG,

Love,

Wallace

I really agree with zigzigzag. The Cadets have been that corps that were just different and didn't not give a rats behind about anything in DCI. Both high scoring and low scoring shows had the same amount of bravado.

They're showing signs of becoming more concerned about trying to fight for numbers and they are serious losing character and becoming more and more robotic.

They used to be more "WHOA" and now they're more "Oh."

• Like 2

Watched the new ending for the first time on DVR. Not sure what everyone is complaining about. The tarps with the faces might be unnecessary but everything else worked really well and really made me feel some pride for a moment. That's a really nice, feel-good ending they have. Good for them!

• Like 3

Honestly, does anybody think the type of show ZZZ's decrials lament for would beat BD this year?

Not a chance...

That show is a juggernaut. Nothing was going to beat it. Knew it from the first viewing.

Enjoy the show, and in Cesario-like fashion, bathe in that scrumptuous fondue pot of cheesy goodness the guard, the brass, the percussion, and that wonderful narrator have brought us this year!

Edited by wallace