The Cadets - 2014

2005 was scoffed, laughed at, booed and belittled. And then i rolled into finals week and steamrolled everyone. It's viewed a lot better now than it was at the time. And it was hated A LOT MORE than the mostly universally loved 2011 program

There was a guy who used to do a podcast who just had awful things to say about it. People were suggesting GH be fired for wasting money on the pants. People have short memories.

• Like 1

The Cadets and others have ben criticized for "teaching" rather than "entertaining" for over 30 years. I can tell you that, when designing a show, one always hopes to entertain. Sometimes if works better than others. This show was clearly meant to entertain and inspire. It worked for some and not for others. If was so clearly NOT a call to war, and don't understand why people keep alluding to that. If you were not inspired by what they were saying, OK. They made a choice, and it didn't resonate with everyone. But several people keep attempting to say that it's something that it's not. It kind of makes me wonder if those people even saw the show. I will say, that even though some people are saying it didn't touch the crowd, the people standing and cheering all around me on Friday and Saturday seemed to like it. And many of them were clearly Bluecoats people.

...read what I wrote, brother. I happened to be one of those clapping at the end of Cadets' show, albeit in a living room situation. The poster I quoted simply opened my marching-geek mind with his scripted P-38.

...read what I wrote, brother. I happened to be one of those clapping at the end of Cadets' show, albeit in a living room situation. The poster I quoted simply opened my marching-geek mind with his scripted P-38.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. I wasn't calling you out but rather several others who have said things about the show that are simply not this show.

There was a guy who used to do a podcast who just had awful things to say about it. People were suggesting GH be fired for wasting money on the pants. People have short memories.

Some people who hated narration and amplification of any kind jumped on criticizing 2005, and criticizing Hop as the narration lightning-rod. Some people were annoyed at the Bjork imitation, but it wasn't widely reviled. I first saw it live first mid-season in Des Moines, and the very apple-pie boy scout crowd loved it. They were on an entirely different level than anyone else, but with a lot to clean at that point. After the first 30 seconds of the show, heck, even after listening to the brass line warm up in the lot, I had a strong feeling it was a championship corps and a championship show.

Chalking up this year's failed design decisions to "haters will hate" is about the dumbest, delusional, and artless viewpoints I've read on this forum.

If the Cadets staff - and some fans - don't see reality for what it is, next year we'll get a show called LEADERSHIP, complete with motivational quotes from corporate CEOs, and a design package chock full of corporate logos and jingles and greenwash-marketing.

If the Cadets staff - and some fans - don't see reality for what it is, next year we'll get a show called LEADERSHIP, complete with motivational quotes from corporate CEOs, and a design package chock full of corporate logos and jingles and greenwash-marketing.

The Cadets proudly present their 2015 program, "Mission Statement"

So I got arrested last night and spent the night in Jail. Thank you Virginia Beach Police for making me miss finals.

Congrats Cadets on great season. You may have gotten leapfrogged by Bluecoats, but Bluecoats had a great show and you should be happy that your season was great regardless.

• Like 1

So I got arrested last night and spent the night in Jail. Thank you Virginia Beach Police for making me miss finals.

Congrats Cadets on great season. You may have gotten leapfrogged by Bluecoats, but Bluecoats had a great show and you should be happy that your season was great regardless.

Are you ok?

zigzigZAG, you're WAY underplaying some of the reaction to The Zone. The Twilight Zone voiceover. The door. The lack of a drum corps hit for the first couple minutes. The lack of integration of guard with corps proper in the drill. The digital printed silks that were hard to read. The Catholic school girls, seemingly wandering around the field aimlessly. The Bjork-speak. The "play it don't say it" reaction to the drumspeak. The uniform alterations. And the overall weirdness.

It wasn't universally hated, or probably even majority disliked. But it was not the fan favorite, in fact the reactions were often tepid in many spots. To compare it to Angels & Demons is ridiculous.

I didn't think I would post again in this thread, but after numerous comments I'm compelled.

The Cadets don't have to be a target for people's angst against GH. Before I continue, I like GH. Tlk about wearing your heart on a sleave.

So they did a patriotic show. So what. The excellence they displayed and the improvement in some captions are to be commended.

There are 150 participants +skilled caption heads and technicians that brought that show to the field.

Go back and watch their winning show from 1987 since there have been comments about Copland's Appalachian Spring along with the comparison. Watch the marching in that show and then rewatch this show. They are light years ahead of where they were and no matter what anyone says, the skill shown on the field is to be noted.

All the best to the 2014 members. As per prior Cadets years, you gave it everything you had.

I don't feel bad for you. How could someone feel that when they got to be part of that experience?

• Like 2