2014 Rules Proposals

I don't see either of these passing either, for the exact same reasons as actucker. I'd also really not like to see the proposal on using any brass instruments pass. One of the most distinctive things about this activity is our use of bugle-like instruments. If I wanted to see trombones and sousas, I can watch BoA.

Yes. So are trombones. Both are explicitly forbidden by the current rules. This restriction is fine by me, but the proposed change would make it easier for corps to use serpents.

• Like 1

One of the reasons given for going to Bb was cheaper costs for startup corps as some members could bring their own horns. Sigh... didn't quite work as well as hoped.

As for trombones... *cue evil laugh* First week of band camp at college cost the band about half a dozen trombones out of 12-14 (forget which). Director was Charles Casavant whose father A.R. (literally) wrote the book on MB drill. One of the students set us up for a crazy tailed practice drill of moving on his commands while horns at playing position. Started out with half the band on opposing end zones. We march towards each other and he calls "about face". Problem was most of the trombones were on the same yard line but every other T-bone was facing opposite directions.

Had a fraction of a second to think "No Way Jose", bent my knees and dropped butt to asphalt as someones slide went over my head. Heard the various crunching sounds of slides getting bent and then saw someone else sitting the same way as me. He was in the Finleyville Royal Crusaders Jr corps. He just looked, smiled, and said "you can tell the corps people... we ###### think".

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

As open minded as I am, I dislike both ideas. There's already a large selection of different voices in bell front brass instruments and judging based on "entertainment" is way too subjective. In the end of the day the crowd knows who they like no matter the scores, we don't need a judge to tell us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

But seriously. I may dislike the second one more than the first. Entertainment can be defined/displayed in so many ways, it's practically unfair to let select people decide what is "entertaining" and allow that to affect placement, especially if the "less-entertaining" corps is much cleaner.

The entertainment caption idea seems like it would lead to getting the same ******* Madison rotating company front and Troopers sunburst every year indefinitely. No thank you. Pull that stuff out maybe once a decade, if that. It would be pandering at its worst. "Hey, look! We're doing the same #### from the 70s! Don't you love us? It's entertainment if you recognize it!"

It's like how they "entertained" my great grandma. Show her anything she recognizes and she's happy the rest of the day. Creative progress will screech to a halt as design staffs look to please everyone.

This mini-rant is totally hyperbolic, and I'm fully aware. :tounge2:

edit: I didn't know DCP's filters autocorrect "s***" to "stuff." Neat.

Edited by RContra
  • Like 4

The fact is, what is entertaining to one, is not entertaining to another. Do we want one person making that call for everyone?

Sure, why not ? Start from the beginning point that all judging is subjective... along with the acknowledgement that we already witness judges oftentimes disagreeing on the current scores and placements within the same current caption at the same show among the performances before them. So judges already see and hear things differently among their judging peers in their captions under the current judging system. So enhancing the entertainment component as a new change offered up seems like a reasonable recommendation for consideration from the Madison Scouts, in my view.

Edited by BRASSO

Trombones, French Horns and Sousaphones.......why?

What broke? What would they bring that isn't already there? Why can't the activity leave well enough alone without having to constantly tamper with something?

To be honest I'm really kind of surprised that it's the Madison Scouts proposing this.

Sure, why not ? Start from the beginning point that all judging is subjective... along with the acknowledgement that we already witness judges oftentimes disagreeing on the current scores and placements within the same current caption at the same show among the performances before them. Enhancing the entertainment component seems like a terrific recommendation from the Madison Scouts, imo.

Yeah, the difference is, the judges are experts in their captions. How do you propose we come up with an expert in what the audience in the stands is feeling. Do we really want what entertains one portion of the fans to outweigh what entertains others? Again, alienation is almost inevitable. Not a good idea.