What if DCI created a new category for "band" instruments

Drum Corps simply isn't big enough to support something like this.

I've said, back when I came in these rooms under another screen name, That these people who want "anything goes" should form MBI (Marching Band International). Just make up a whole new thing. Heck I would even go to some shows. Have it become just as awesome as DCI but leave DCI to DCI and MBI to MBI.

The 'MBI' acronym is already taken. By a drum corps.

On a serious note, something like this is really a non-starter. Drum Corps simply isn't big enough to support this kind of thing. Fracturing is the last thing it needs.

• Like 3

I realize topics like these are merely for the sake of simply throwing some ideas out there. Often just for the sheer enjoyment of ruminating on a subject. But in a day and time when many corps are struggling to field and fund tours year after year, fracturing the unique wonder of what is at the heart of drum corps is not the answer to bolstering butts in the seats. Let's face it, we're an obscure and weird-birded lot in life; we being the drum corps nuts. It's one of my three favorite things in this life, and yet I largely enjoy it by myself for the most part. Sure, I have dragged friends and girlfriends along to shows, many of them leaving completely impressed and thoroughly entertained. But so few people actually appreciate acoustic instruments, such as brass, that it’s just a tough sell if there is not already an established appreciation for such styles of music/art. Woodwinds and other acoustic instruments are not going to make new fans of drum corps; drum corps makes new fans of drum corps.

Drum Corps is the amazing and impactful art that it is largely in part to the unique timbre and voicing (and writing for said voice) that is the all brass choir of the hornline.

There are plenty of other outlets if you wish to hear woodwinds and strings and such.

• Like 1

I believe that you will see "Summer Band" via BOA or another organization before you see complete band instrumentation in DCI, especially with electronics. What you may see in some context is non traditional brass instrumentation ...trombone, French horns, Wagnerian tubas, whatever available for use.