We Need To Talk About [CENSORED]...

Ok, understanding that this may be drum corps' version of questioning the Voice of [ahem], could we maybe start talking about how DCI may want to think about replacing Brandt Crocker?

There, I said it. Feel free to lock this thread now. Can't say as I would blame you.

That said, I once again sat through '13 Nats, and just could not help but think that were it not for Mr. Crocker's God-given talent for introducing and welcoming a corps to the field "IN COMPETITION" (sorry, I'm old school), his knack for completley butchering the last half of his job would've had us talking about this years ago.

My God, I love Brandt, and not just for what he means to those of us who had the privilege of hearing him from field level. I love the guy because of exactly who he is when he ISN'T in the booth, either. And if he thinks about it, he himself will acknowledge that.

If this thread survives the hour, I'll start off by suggesting that if DCI were truly interested in expanding it's base, they might wanna take a page out of the Chicago Cubs' playbook and open up auditions online, or some such thing.

Just my worthless two cents.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon

I don't think DCI needs to replace him at all.

I do think that the whole corps introduction portion of the competition should be reworked. I'm tired of all of these introductions rolling into the beginning of the show. Some of them are a bit awkward.

How about a return to "Is the corps ready? > Drum Major Salute > "Such and Such you may enter the field for competition" > turn on audio/video recording, begin show.

Edited by LincolnV

That's fair enough, Lincoln, but I think it's a different discussion altogether.

Look, aside from the that I'm an unopprobrious Phantom Regiment Phan Homer (the corps with which Brandt is most associated with), and a DCI alum who heard that man's voice ofer the loudpseakers for so many years it makes my heart ache, I can't be the only guy who's noticed this, can I?

I imagine Dan Potter will also do a great job, once he gets the call.

I'm not sure Dan Potter is the default answer.

Again, that's an entirely different subject, but wouldn't opening it to more than just the few people who happen to occupy the DCI's current orbit might be a better idea?

Ok, understanding that this may be drum corps' version of questioning the Voice of [ahem], could we maybe start talking about how DCI may want to think about replacing Brandt Crocker?

There, I said it. Feel free to lock this thread now. Can't say as I would blame you.

That said, I once again sat through '13 Nats, and just could not help but think that were it not for Mr. Crocker's God-given talent for introducing and welcoming a corps to the field "IN COMPETITION" (sorry, I'm old school), his knack for completley butchering the last half of his job would've had us talking about this years ago.

My God, I love Brandt, and not just for what he means to those of us who had the privilege of hearing him from field level. I love the guy because of exactly who he is when he ISN'T in the booth, either. And if he thinks about it, he himself will acknowledge that.

If this thread survives the hour, I'll start off by suggesting that if DCI were truly interested in expanding it's base, they might wanna take a page out of the Chicago Cubs' playbook and open up auditions online, or some such thing.

Just my worthless two cents.

I'm a little curious about your rationale for claiming that having auditions to replace Brandt Crocker will expand DCI's base.

My personal viewpoint is that DCI should not take any action until the moment Mr. Crocker flops over dead while announcing "...and in first place, with a score of...".

My hope is that that moment doesn't arrive for another 40 years or so.

• Like 2

Since HNC included replacing Brandt (someday) in his initial post, and with Dan a loyal DCI soldier, I imagine Dan would be the leading candidate. If Dan wasn't the chosen one, we can only surmise how DCP would handle that decision.

My personal viewpoint is that DCI should not take any action until the moment Mr. Crocker flops over dead while announcing "...and in first place, with a score of...".

My hope is that that moment doesn't arrive for another 40 years or so.

What Garfield said.

I hope it's the same scenario for the DCA guy, too. :ninja::whistle:

• Like 2