We Need To Talk About [CENSORED]...

Currently the judges wait for a signal from the T&P judge, not the announcer. He/she will hold his/her arm up with their hand parallel to the ground to show that the pre show has begun, as I believe GE judges are allowed to start judging then. Once the show official starts, the T&P person points to the sky, and spins their hand in a circle (same signal umpires use in baseball for a home run) to let all judges know that judging has started.

Thank you for the explanation.

I hope that at some point the activity goes back to a "you have this amount of time to do your show" and leaves it at that. Don't include the announcer. Don't do any sort of complicated pre-show that isn't correctly judged but is done for "artistic" purposes.

Maybe bring back the starting gun to signal start of judging?

Makes sense, but two things come to mind.

1. Echo in a dome.

2. People saying "Oh My God It's A Gun And This Is Horrible!"

How about a starting sparkler? Or a starting popped balloon? Or a laser beam?........ :silly:

Edited by LincolnV

exactly. and while the staff may cue him in real time, til it comes through the PA, there's a lag.

Absolutely. Therein lies a problem. Have had to deal with it myself at the DCI gigs I've worked.

That whole "jam the intro up against a music cue" thing can backfire, big-time.

Absolutely. Therein lies a problem. Have had to deal with it myself at the DCI gigs I've worked.

That whole "jam the intro up against a music cue" thing can backfire, big-time.

the long awkward read, plus trying to line it up with the pre-shows is the problem. if you could cut down that long ### statement, it'd be better

I'm gonna go ahead and show a little intellectual honesty here by admitting that no, opening up auditions to every Tom Dick and Harriet will most assuredly NOT expand DCI's base.

That was a stupid, ill-thought argument, and I am ashamed at having written it.

That said, in the era of the "pre-show," perhaps it might be a good idea to talk about doing a pre-recorded intro, thereby killing multiple birds with one stone...

1. The clumsy, more-often-than-not intro that walks on the corps' opener,

2. FAAAAANNNNMMRRREGGGIMENNN

3. Allows the respective corps to tailor their shows more thoroughly (without having to worry about coordinating with the PA guy, etc)

But again, as much as I worship the ground Brandt walks on ("On the starting line....you may enter the field for competition"), maybe it's time we take away the bookie's influence on whether or not the PA guy nails the timing of the corps' intro.

Maybe going back to the starter pistol ain't such a bad idea, after all...

The only complaint I have regarding him is the fact you can tell by his voice who he likes the most before they take the field. I wish he had a more controlled tone for every corps.

I hear what you're saying. I've thought the same thing myself. I think the reality is he probably enjoys barking out some names more than others - or some names just roll off the announcers tongue better than other. I don't think it has anything to do with favoritism.

Check out this one about Mr. Crocker:

http://www.dci.org/about/fame/view_member.cfm?member_id=6d0c3655-1c9e-4d73-bee9-29da5a11d01c