We Need To Talk About [CENSORED]...

2. FAAAAANNNNMMRRREGGGIMENNN

Hey I like that! But it should be the same level of enthusiasm for all the corps. I think he feeds the audience by playing to their preferences, so Madison and Phantom get a little extra oomph. He's trying to max out the audience's potential for cheering, basically.

• Like 1

Cough Joe Buck cough cough..

And no corps from New York for him to constantly bag on.

Ok, understanding that this may be drum corps' version of questioning the Voice of [ahem], could we maybe start talking about how DCI may want to think about replacing Brandt Crocker?

There, I said it. Feel free to lock this thread now. Can't say as I would blame you.

That said, I once again sat through '13 Nats, and just could not help but think that were it not for Mr. Crocker's God-given talent for introducing and welcoming a corps to the field "IN COMPETITION" (sorry, I'm old school), his knack for completley butchering the last half of his job would've had us talking about this years ago.

My God, I love Brandt, and not just for what he means to those of us who had the privilege of hearing him from field level. I love the guy because of exactly who he is when he ISN'T in the booth, either. And if he thinks about it, he himself will acknowledge that.

If this thread survives the hour, I'll start off by suggesting that if DCI were truly interested in expanding it's base, they might wanna take a page out of the Chicago Cubs' playbook and open up auditions online, or some such thing.

Just my worthless two cents.

Brandt Crocker has been terrible for many years & I have said so on this board for a few years now. I'm not sure if DCI told him to go with the over the top gravely voice & over dramtic style or if it was his own idea...but its terrible. His "PHAAAAAAAAAAAAANTOM REGIMENT" call is brutal & you cant even understand it. It's time for a new voice of DCI.

• Like 1

Brandt Crocker has been terrible for many years & I have said so on this board for a few years now. I'm not sure if DCI told him to go with the over the top gravely voice & over dramtic style or if it was his own idea...but its terrible. His "PHAAAAAAAAAAAAANTOM REGIMENT" call is brutal & you cant even understand it. It's time for a new voice of DCI.

Yea, yea. I'm sure if some big advertiser came along ready to take drum corps to the big time, and said "But you gotta get rid of Brandt Crocker first", Brandt would happily step down. It must be murder on those old vocal chords to give the crowd what they want.

And they do want it, so don't fool yourself. I don't hear any groans in the stands when he announces, I hear screams and applause. Most fans take it for its enduring intent, chuckle at its quaintness. You should face the fact that you're standing mostly alone in this opinion, even though I give you credit for sticking to your point so long. But really, what's the point (although you're entitled to it)?

Yes, I'm sure DCI is watching your opinion and have duly noted it ("That's, um, one."), but it's reasonable to assume that, until that big sponsor comes along, or the fans start complaining in droves, Mr. Crocker will stay in position for just as long as he wants to and DCI wants him. His timetable won't be moved by your strong, lone voice from afar. When he leaves, or dies announcing Phantom, you'll have your chance to yell "Boo!" and "Good riddance!" with that strong and lone voice from afar, as they roll him away .

And what's the point anyway? At this time, when the future direction of DCI is being decided (argued?) by a group of intense and passionate people who are divided into two (or more!) camps, isn't that reconciliation and resolution more important than worrying about Brandt Crocker?

Your opinion is yours, but why harbor such strong negative emotions for something so trivial as how Phantom Regiment is announced?

With so much to enjoy about drum corps, I sure don't get it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

Here are some ideas...

Male:

Christopher Walken

James Earl Jones

George Takaei

Pee Wee Herman

Tim Curry

Bob Dylan

Ozzy Osbourne

Barney Frank

Laurance Fishburn

John Lithgow

Liam Neeson

Mike Tyson

Crispin Glover

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Seth MacFarlane

Gilbert Gottfied

Patrick Stewart

William Shatner

Jeff Goldblum

Paul Giamatti

Woody Allen

Gene Hackman

Robert De Niro

Sean Connery

Samuel L. Jackson

Anthony Hopkins

Al Pacino

Jack Nicholson

Morgan Freeman

Jeremy Irons

Sam Elliot

Female:

Diane Keaton

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Annette Benning

Jennifer Tilly

Salma Hayek

Joan Rivers

Elizabeth Hurley

Blythe Danner

Fran Drescher

Rosanne Barr

Sofia Vergara

:cool:

• Like 1

I truly do respect what Dan Potter has done with the Field Pass podcasts and such, and though it certainly seems like the most natural path forward to follow Brandt considering the work he has done with the TOC series, I really hope he is not his successor. There is almost a 'trying too hard' campiness that comes across with Potter that always makes me cringe a bit.

But we all have our preferences and in the end our preferences are just opinions.

• Like 1

here's the thing...does DCI see this as a problem?

Does DCI see this as a problem?

The hit or miss timing of the announcements synchronized with the opening notes of each show; ehhh... possibly.

The fact that Brandt Crocker is doing the announcing; Nada, Nope, No, Not at all.

• Like 1

Yea, yea. I'm sure if some big advertiser came along ready to take drum corps to the big time, and said "But you gotta get rid of Brandt Crocker first", Brandt would happily step down. It must be murder on those old vocal chords to give the crowd what they want.

And they do want it, so don't fool yourself. I don't hear any groans in the stands when he announces, I hear screams and applause. Most fans take it for its enduring intent, chuckle at its quaintness. You should face the fact that you're standing mostly alone in this opinion, even though I give you credit for sticking to your point so long. But really, what's the point (although you're entitled to it)?

Yes, I'm sure DCI is watching your opinion and have duly noted it ("That's, um, one."), but it's reasonable to assume that, until that big sponsor comes along, or the fans start complaining in droves, Mr. Crocker will stay in position for just as long as he wants to and DCI wants him. His timetable won't be moved by your strong, lone voice from afar. When he leaves, or dies announcing Phantom, you'll have your chance to yell "Boo!" and "Good riddance!" with that strong and lone voice from afar, as they roll him away .

And what's the point anyway? At this time, when the future direction of DCI is being decided (argued?) by a group of intense and passionate people who are divided into two (or more!) camps, isn't that reconciliation and resolution more important than worrying about Brandt Crocker?

Your opinion is yours, but why harbor such strong negative emotions for something so trivial as how Phantom Regiment is announced?

With so much to enjoy about drum corps, I sure don't get it.

You are more concerned about this than I am.

Does DCI see this as a problem?

The hit or miss timing of the announcements synchronized with the opening notes of each show; ehhh... possibly.

The fact that Brandt Crocker is doing the announcing; Nada, Nope, No, Not at all.

ok, so since the corps are the ones with the power, and it's their shows that are "being ruined".....if it's such an issue, why haven't they pulled rank and created change?

• Like 1