open class super expensive?

Derek, I am talking about the corps you're thinking of. Based on what we're looking at this year I've heard estimates that we'll be pushing 100 members if things continue the way they are. I have faith things will work out.

Derek, I am talking about the corps you're thinking of. Based on what we're looking at this year I've heard estimates that we'll be pushing 100 members if things continue the way they are. I have faith things will work out.

Thats awesome! Only 50 people short!! I hope that they continue to grow!

Pay up now or else sounds kind of scary. It sucks that they have to threaten to kick people out to try to stay on their feet

It has been a little bit more of the administration getting in touch with other corps after the "pay tomorrow" needs to turn into "or else". After last summer, a large number of members went to march elsewhere while still paying off tour. With only a few hundred dollars left, the corps started giving the ultimatum of "you owe us all of your payment plan by tomorrow or we'll contact other corps and get you removed."

Thats awesome! Only 50 people short!! I hope that they continue to grow!

I like to think they will. Without a color guard staff, it's TBD how those auditions will look come April. They've started paying some of the staff that resigned between last season and this and they've made a move to have more local staff in some departments to limit travel costs.

In all, the takeaway should be that the corps is expensive, yes. The corps travels a lot (especially compared to most Open Class corps) and naturally has expenses to pay. Those who choose payment plans have to commit to paying the corps and those who have outstanding debts to pay but leave for another corps must first pay their "home team" their balance or risk being removed from their new corps. The staff will still be top notch because while some staff members have left, there are still quite a few familiar faces teaching a dedicated group of students.

• Like 1

In all, the takeaway should be that the corps is expensive, yes. The corps travels a lot (especially compared to most Open Class corps) and naturally has expenses to pay. Those who choose payment plans have to commit to paying the corps and those who have outstanding debts to pay but leave for another corps must first pay their "home team" their balance or risk being removed from their new corps. The staff will still be top notch because while some staff members have left, there are still quite a few familiar faces teaching a dedicated group of students.

So if you're a little far behind on your payments, they won't kick you out? They'll just make you keep paying after the season is over??

How about we let any corps charge what they want to charge to run their operation.

If they have a marching band circuit, bingo, has a benefactor, or a music store that supports the bottom line to keep fees reasonable or just wants to charge more. Let them do it.

The market will react and act to groups that don't provide value for what they charge for tuition.

We have seen so many drum corps go away because of finances, now we are going to complain when they try to correct the poor behavior of the past? It's silly to me.

I would love to drive a Mercedes Benz, but I don't because I cannot afford it. I don't ##### to MB to lower their prices. And if Joe Schmoe car company wants to charge the same as MB for their "balsa wood and rubber band car" well, let's see how many people buy it.

Edited by njthundrrd

So if you're a little far behind on your payments, they won't kick you out? They'll just make you keep paying after the season is over??

Truth be told, I can't say.

All individual payment plans are done with express permission of the corps director. I'm not in charge of finances and can't say anything specific (especially on topics such as tuition payment) but the best source is always the administrative team. Sending an email with a couple questions is the smartest route for that answer.

• Like 1

Well I was just doing some research on open class v.s. world class tour fees and I found it REALLY strange that one of the "lower" open class corps (whos name will not be mentioned) tour fee for 2014 was $3,000!! Thats about $1,000-1,$1,300 more than all of the other open class corps and even most world class corps! Its also about $500-$600 less than the cadets tour fee. I'm not sure why it is so expensive but I just found that really odd. As I said before they're a "lower" open class corps. Not even top 6. Is there a reason for this?? Its really blowing my mind!

Low profit margins and HIGH operating costs...

Thanks, Gary. Do you mean that each member is required to, e.g., sell 500 fruitcakes?

Or that the corps as a whole raises money through fundraising? The latter would encompass what I meant by "sponsor or benefactor", although I admit that I was thinking that some company or individual must have already committed the funds.

I don't claim to know deep details,.............I know they have a very dedicated BOD, they run bingo and do other fundraising, but I really don't know how they spread it around,..................I think their dedicated sponsor is the community from which they hail