Carolina crown audition advice for 2015?

If you do end up at another corps this year, particularly a top 12-ish group, be a bit careful when talking about auditioning for Crown in 2015. Some staffs bristle at that kind of talk, but mostly other members in many corps tend to not want people using them as a stepping stone. If you do happen to make it somewhere, just forget how to speak the words "Carolina Crown until after the season."

It occurs to me that most of the actual value to members in terms of work ethic training is probably delivered by the corps at the bottom. That's because the first summer of drum corps for a given kid is the one that gives the lesson. The top corps are mostly benefiting from the work ethic instilled by those lower corps. Of course they are extending it by increasing the demand on students, but I suspect that's just gravy as far as the kids ability to accomplish their dreams in life. Most of the famous people I've heard of did not march with a top corps - there's your evidence, for what it's worth.

Still, if I were a director of a lower placing corps, I would count it as a point of pride that x number of kids went to the top corps after being in my corps. Because even if a kid chooses to be loyal to your corps, the promise of stepping over yours to get in BD or Crown is probably what got them in the door in the first place. So that's an important part of a lower corps' accomplishment. If you love something, set it free, and all that.

Edited by Pete Freedman

It occurs to me that most of the actual value to members in terms of work ethic training is probably delivered by the corps at the bottom. That's because the first summer of drum corps for a given kid is the one that gives the lesson. The top corps are mostly benefiting from the work ethic instilled by those lower corps. Of course they are extending it by increasing the demand on students, but I suspect that's just gravy as far as the kids ability to accomplish their dreams in life. Most of the famous people I've heard of did not march with a top corps - there's your evidence, for what it's worth.

Still, if I were a director of a lower placing corps, I would count it as a point of pride that x number of kids went to the top corps after being in my corps. Because even if a kid chooses to be loyal to your corps, the promise of stepping over yours to get in BD or Crown is probably what got them in the door in the first place. So that's an important part of a lower corps' accomplishment. If you love something, set it free, and all that.

I suspect you're right in that many LP* corps are quite proud of the kids they sent to the HP** corps.

The problem is that, apparently, some of those HP directors don't appreciate or recognize the contribution of the LP corps.

*Lower Placing

**Higher Placing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they sometimes reduce tour fees for people who are signed late in the process, because they need to fill the hole in the drill that's already been written. I'm not sure how much, though. There may also be fundraising kits to help raise the funds (at least, there should be - every other activity has them!)

My understanding is that the audition itself will be quite a learning experience. Not only will you have to show what you know, but they will teach you things to see how you respond, and to assess your attitude. The Spirit audition video on fan network shows some of this. It ain't easy.

Audition for multiple corps with a range of performance levels, just to make sure you get in somewhere. Drum corps is like pizza, even the lowest corps is way better than none. Good luck!

I joined Spirit at their last camp and then came to move ins as an alternate because they had already set their hornline. My tour fees were $600 (I think, and my grandparents paid for it as a graduation present) due to joining so late, spots were filled, and I was an extra. At the second or third week of move ins, a kid quit and I got his spot in the line.

I recommend doing something to be involved, especially since you have some marching experience. You can try emailing the caption heads and ask if there's a spot open for an alternate or give them your info in case someone quits and they need to call someone in. As an alternate you do everything except perform at shows. The plus is getting a music education, physical fitness, housing, food, seeing the US through your window.

I think it is a great idea to volunteer on tour. Maybe just week or two since you need to save for 2015. Be ready though, more than once a kid showed up to help or watch and got sucked into the drill for the summer. Helping for a week or so you would probably know where you stand, and you could talk to the staff about your desire. The bonus would be knowing some faces if you go back in November.