Blue Stars 2014 "Where the Heart Is"

I predict they will build a home on the field, using prefab struts and plastic planks. The drill will then adapt their shapes and forms to the house, wherever it is. At the end a loving couple will move in, or perhaps someone will return home after a long journey. And we will be drawing comparisons to BD's 2011 The Beat My Heart Skipped.

And it will be wonderful. Good luck, Blue Stars!

The band I work with played "To Build a Home" this past season as our ballad and did just that...we built a house out of PVC piping throughout the tune.

Not a great look, but here is an early season show...moving/setting the pipes....

tumblr_mtwzyyZz3Q1sjohbbo3_500.jpg

A field-level view of part of the house...

tumblr_mtwzyyZz3Q1sjohbbo8_500.jpg

It worked quite well for us.

Good luck to the Blue Stars. It is a beautiful tune.

The band I work with played "To Build a Home" this past season as our ballad and did just that...we built a house out of PVC piping throughout the tune.

Not a great look, but here is an early season show...moving/setting the pipes....

tumblr_mtwzyyZz3Q1sjohbbo3_500.jpg

A field-level view of part of the house...

tumblr_mtwzyyZz3Q1sjohbbo8_500.jpg

It worked quite well for us.

Good luck to the Blue Stars. It is a beautiful tune.

Nice uniforms for both ensemble and guard, from a distance at least.

Totally off topic: Racine Scouts forwarded a Blue Stars Facebook post about the Blue Stars on a Gatorade label. I think this was a limited run, but I love the connection between athletes, drum corps, and Gatorade.

This is so cool!

• Like 1

Jesus H., Stu, Adagio for Strings wasn't about Vietnam, but it still worked in Platoon. By your logic, almost zero film music that isn't purely instrumental makes any sense. Hell, soooooo many drum corps shows wouldn't work either. Maybe we turn this thread back to the Blue Stars and away from your fun little musical quirks.

After post #35 (about Hitler vs Pol Pot), which he posted knowing nobody could argue against it because of the no-politics rule, anything he says about the taste of musical selections seems like genius.

After post #35 (about Hitler vs Pol Pot), which he posted knowing nobody could argue against it because of the no-politics rule, anything he says about the taste of musical selections seems like genius.

:tongue:

Edited by Stu

Jesus H., Stu, Adagio for Strings wasn't about Vietnam, but it still worked in Platoon. By your logic, almost zero film music that isn't purely instrumental makes any sense. Hell, soooooo many drum corps shows wouldn't work either. Maybe we turn this thread back to the Blue Stars and away from your fun little musical quirks.

Adagio for Strings is a Non-Programmatic piece of Absolute Music written by Barber which has no attached story-line in the original form. Thus it can be used as incidental background music for, well, anything. And where did I say that music which is not purely instrumental cannot be used? All I said was that musical choices, whether in movies or DCI, need to be placed in a context which is not disjunctive to the story-line (unless, of course, the story-line is supposed to be disjunctive like in the movies “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ and ‘Trainspotting”, or in DCI shows like "Cabaret Voltaire' and ‘The Zone’.

I think that for most of the audience, "The Chairman Dances" will just be a catchy tune that they've never heard before or at best remember SCV playing six years ago: for those people, it is absolute rather than programmatic music.

Imagine reading about the following show concept/design with the one odd musical injection, and you may see the disjunctive nature I found when I read about the current Blue Stars show concept/design:

'The Depths of Romance: From Tragedy and Longing to Bliss and Joy'

Excerpts from Romeo and Juliet – Tchaikovsky

I Will Always Love You- Olivia Newton John

Doctor Zhivago Ovature - Maurice Jarre

I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton and/or Whitney Houston

Just Kiss Me - Harry Connick Jr.

Powaqqatsi - Philip Glass