Blue Stars 2014 "Where the Heart Is"

So then presumably you would object to the original opera for the same reason? According to Wikipedia they were trying to go beyond the stereotypes and present both Nixon and Mao as real people. To humanize them, in fact. That was the purpose of the opera.

I never claimed Mao and his wife were not real people with real human qualities. I mean heck, even a person as wicked as Hitler, he was still at least ‘publically’ nice to children. So we should never go so far as to dehumanize people to the point of calling them completely and utterly 100% non-human evil demons without any smidgen of human qualities; that is what Adams was referring to when he created both Nixon in China and the Chairman Dances. But for the Blue Stars to utilize the Chairman Dances as a way to portray a loving family, a home is where the heart is at, filled with special people and special memories, a place in which you can always turn to for love, is well, a non-sequitur connection. Why? Because while it is true that Chairman Mao and his wife were human, and in the programmatic musical chart of the Chairman Dances she is showing some semblance of affection toward the Chairman by dancing with his portrait image, they were also, along with Hitler, Lenin, Pol Pot, etc..., two of the most atrocious, brutal, wicked humans to ever live.

Edited by Stu

I can see what you are saying, but it's not going to change my view of the show. I really like the the piece, don't really care about the original inttention of it as I am sure pretty much everyone else but a select few won't either. I'm sure it'll be an awesome show. If that keeps you from enjoying it, your loss. Don't have to convince us to think the same. Respect your view, though I don't share it. ANYWAYS.

So.............how bout the rest of the music?

• Like 1

In other words they (Blue Stars) shouldn't be taking the Mao-humanizing element out of context of the original work?

I generally agree, although the other factor (as DrumManTx just pointed out while I'm writing this) is that the opera is not well known, and I sense that the value of the music exceeds the value of the opera itself, which was not well reviewed apparently. I think there can be a "cultural reassignment surgery" for great music that appeared in not-so-great works. If it really is a wonderful work of music, should it really have to be confined to the original weird context?

I sense you're going to say it's fine to play it as straight music without any context, but to trivialize the context by incorporating it into this show is the problem. Would that be correct?

In other words they (Blue Stars) shouldn't be taking the Mao-humanizing element out of context of the original work?

I do not think the Blue Stars will reference Chairman Mao at all in their show concept/design use of the Chairman Dances.

I sense you're going to say it's fine to play it as straight music without any context, but to trivialize the context by incorporating it into this show is the problem. Would that be correct?

Mostly correct. It is more of a non-sequitur issue for me than a trivializing issue. I know the background musical artistic story of the Chairman Dances, and I also know the reality background history of Chairman Mao. And therefore to me it is a rather apparent non-sequitur to place the Chairman Dances in the context of the Blue Stars show concept/design where Heart, Love, and Family shape and form that special place we call Home. However… My guess is that whoever picked that particular chart for the Blue Stars is similar to DrumManTx in that they probably just liked the upbeat foxtrot feel of the music and could not care less about the original backstory of the programmatic piece or the historical aspects of Chaiman Mao.

Then you have seen/heard that music in a context in which John Williams absolutely does not want to occur. Williams, and his publishers, will not give permission to arrange, nor will they give permission to perform, record, or sync any music from Schilnder's List unless it strictly deals with the specific historical subject matter. They feel it so powerful to the original historical account that they do not want the music to be used in any other manner.

hmmm thats interesting Ive seen it done and not have anything to do with the original intent of the movie.......williams music was able to be done until recently.....and I believe its more about money but thats it im done with the hijacked thread and political overtones.......its great music and love that BS are doing it.

Most fans only see a show once a summer. Why shouldn't they just be able to sit down and enjoy the music? There have been lots of complaints about the "navel gazing" show designs recently, not Blue Stars come out with one of the simplest concepts out there, and we're still trying to find issues with it? Can't people just sit down, watch a show, and enjoy great music and great drill? A drum corps competition should be a place where you can check any political feelings at the door and just watch some good shows. If you have a problem with what the Stars are playing, there are a lot of other shows out there.

Sometimes and cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a rep selection is just a piece of music that sounds good.

• Like 4

Most fans only see a show once a summer. Why shouldn't they just be able to sit down and enjoy the music? There have been lots of complaints about the "navel gazing" show designs recently, not Blue Stars come out with one of the simplest concepts out there, and we're still trying to find issues with it? Can't people just sit down, watch a show, and enjoy great music and great drill? A drum corps competition should be a place where you can check any political feelings at the door and just watch some good shows. If you have a problem with what the Stars are playing, there are a lot of other shows out there.

Sometimes and cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a rep selection is just a piece of music that sounds good.

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I can't enjoy "White Christmas" because it was written in a New York City studio in the middle of a July heat spell. I'm so intellectual.

Edited by HockeyDad