A NEW CORPS

Best of luck to you. But as to being the only active corps in IN......

http://www.starunited.org/

ok i have heard of star united but recently there have been a few rumors of them(and BLAST!) shuting down, and i have tried to email them and have recieved no responses. it does look like thier website has been recently updated though. if star united is still going then i will gladly change my site and i would like to get in touch with them to see if they can/will help me out. personaly i love listening/watching star's shows and i wish they were still around, they're part of what gave me this idea in the first place.

as far as scouts goes i have never heard of them being an indiana corps, they are the Madison Scouts from Madison Wisconson, but they might hold a camp or two in the state.

Star United, to my knowledge, doesn't have any kind of a direct relationship with Blast! Their website and twitter feed is indeed active. Keep trying to contact them, I guess.

Madison Scouts are indeed "based" in Madison, but they are - for all intents and purposes - an Indiana corps. All of their camps are held in Indy, If you look on the auditions page, you can click on "camps" and then "Dates and locations" to see this. http://www.madisonscouts.org/auditions/

The Blue Stars are also in Indy for most of their major events, despite being based in LaCrosse. http://www.bluestars.org/membership/schedule.php

Indiana is a hot-bed of drum corps activity right now, especially since DCI is based there and all.

Good luck.

At WCU we had the student Field Operations Council, I believe it was dismantled later. It worked well, BUT-- the members of the FOC, including myself, all had several seasons of experience in DCA and DCI units, being taught by incredible educators. We were ready to go, we had been trained to teach. You want names, I can provide them as to who was on that FOC with me. Great people. The point was that we had experience as performers.

The FOC does still exist here at WCU, but has gone back and forth between being mostly run by the current band director, or being operated by the students in the council.

I can personally tell you that the most succesful groupings of FOC are comprised of those who have had more than one or two years of marching experience, as well as a multitude of us marching in DCI (for there still is a large pool of members in DCI from west chester.) These groups tend to work by themselves with very little help by the band director. However, there still is some input by him, whether it be a great amount, or just popping his head in every once and a while.

This is coming from someone who started a small parade drum & bugle corps (5 brass, 8 percussion, 4 guard, 2 pit for standstills) when I was in high school. We were student run, with parent and volunteer support and it was a lot of fun but literally killed my mother and I with stress, time and energy. We marched in a televised parade in Cleveland and had donations from local businesses, bought drums and bugles off an old Sr Corps (Royal Lancers i think) in Michigan and spent the next 2 years playing around our county and sometimes in Cleveland and Erie. It was a lot of fun but you have to be aggressive, very organized, with a teachable attitude, and you need to have some e experience performing or touring.

The big thing for our organization was never turning anyone away, sharing our overall knowledge and giving our members a chance to try new things, perform locally and more. We knew we would never be DCI, DCM, or any of the other circuits and were just happy to have a chance to play and collectively learn more about music through our partnerships with local schools. In my opinion it was a success as we had one family that were impoverished, lived 8 to a single room home with dirt floors that went on to become professional touring gospel musicians, enlisting in the Marine Corps Drum & Bugle Corps and Army Bands and some getting degrees in music related fields. They couldn't afford to be in band in school but because we were all volunteer, and sought to help each other no matter what, it was successful.

With all that being said, it's possible you'll be able to make this work but you'll need to reduce your scope. Without support of adults you just won't be able to do a lot of things that are needed. The language in your webpage is also hostile towards anyone that potentially would even volunteer, donate funds, or even schedule a performance for you which is a BIG communication problem. Though you may have had a bad or negative experience from other organizations, I'd change the language so it's not hostile towards potential fans or supporters and set a realistic goal of what you want to do with the organization like Soundsport. If it doesn't work out, I'd suggest you sign up with a Soundsport Team, DCI Open Class (Legends), or DCA Class A (Cincinnati Tradition) that are nearby and not only learn the skills you need to be a performer, but also build your network to aid in developing a corps. Good Luck.

sorry I have not posted on this again I haven't had much time lately. as far as the grammar errors go I made the version of the website you have been discussing at about 3 am and I didn't do a very good job of checking it. the whole "grown ups" thing was very poor wording on my part. what I meant by it was some big suit from a corporation or non-for-profit that would just want to take over, or someone who no one knows anything about.

the problem is I was a member of a corps last year that was just starting up we didn't have very many members and we didn't know exactly what we were doing as members. almost all of the corps activities were handled by somebody who just moved to a nearby town, no one knew anything about him but we trusted him because he was supposedly working with the local high schools to get members and figured that the ymca he was running the corps from had surely done a background check on him. well then a perspective member paid for a background check. well it turned out he was wanted for statutory rape in Tennessee. I feel like this problem can be avoided by making sure the corps is run by its members.

for the record I will admit that I am a high school kid, that happened to get cut from phantom this year, but I have wanted to start up a corps around here for quite some time not just because I was cut. I do remember some posts on indianamarching.com about a high school kid starting a corps and it being a huge scam, but it was not me. if I remember the posts right I wasn't even in high school when that happened.

I posted the link to the corps website so that I can try to get some members to join. this whole corps idea is my senior project and people at my school love the idea behind it but many of them are not free this summer to march. I talked to the guy from sdca and he said he has seen groups as little as 5 people perform at these shows, if that's all this corps ends up being is 5 people I can be fine with that but I am going to try my best to get more than that.

please forgive my probably horrible grammar in this post but I am not that great at using proper English especially in forum posts

If you still don't like the idea behind this then I would prefer if you don't keep posting on here to try to change my mind. if you don't like it just ignore it. its that simple.

FYI

The 27th Lancers alumni corps was called

The Light Brigade

You may want to rethink the name

It's not like anyone has a trade mark on that name, let alone 27th Alumni. "The Light Brigade" is also the name used by a WGI World Class color guard for the last 40 years or so. if you really believe only one group should use a name, maybe the 27th folks should rethink it as well...

Frankly, if the new corps in question wants to use Light Brigade as a name, they are free to until someone else comes up with a trademark (and even then it would still be arguable).

Edited by Kamarag

It's not like anyone has a trade mark on that name, let alone 27th Alumni. "The Light Brigade" is also the name used by a WGI World Class color guard for the last 40 years or so. if you really believe only one group should use a name, maybe the 27th folks should rethink it as well...

Frankly, if the new corps in question wants to use Light Brigade as a name, they are free to until someone else comes up with a trademark (and even then it would still be arguable).

totally agree,.................and one of the things that crawls around in my head,...........Like nobody else can be named cadets or cavaliers because now we have "The Cadets" and "The Cavaliers", etc..............