Question about copyright problems- Madison ESOM

I remember a few years back, there was a copyright issue with Empire State Of Mind, and several people were great about providing insight on what had happened there.

If I understood correctly, the song had been licensed to someone for marketing purposes, and for a period of several years, was unable to be performed, or sync rights were unavailable for that period.

Now it is several years later, and I was wondering, if those rights were lifted, would it be possible for either DCI, or Madison Scouts to release a DVD of their finals performance? It seems if it was only a short ban on the rights, that after that ban was lifted, the full performance should in theory be able to be released.

According to the BOA restricted composition list, the ban hasn't been lifted.

http://www.musicforall.org/resources/copyright/restricted-compositions#RestrictedVideo

That is interesting. I see it on the list. I had thought when it was explained a few years ago, that the ban was only temporary because of a large company using it in their ad campaign. And that is was only for a couple of years. Can anyone with a little more knowledge on this please chime in? It would be wonderful for Madison Scouts, DCI, and tens of thousands of fans, if this were to become available for sync rights in the future. I think overall this has been one of the most disappointing for fans not to be able to have the full finals recording of this show.