DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

French horns don't project outside and trombones are slow for fast moving notes and are visually awkward on the field. Neither provide anything positive.

• Like 2

Once again, Hopkins and his progressive changes through the years have led to this becoming a reality. Say goodbye to corps folks! If my corps uses trombones or french horns ever I will cry. I am ashamed at the board of directors and leadership in DCI to let this happen.

* James Mason

I'm not too enthusiastic about this new ordinance, but perhaps it will sound really good and will surprise everyone.

• Like 1

French horns don't project outside and trombones are slow for fast moving notes and are visually awkward on the field. Neither provide anything positive.

I feel Horns would be wonderful for maybe a miked solo (see James Bowie HS 2012 - Pavane for a Dead Princess) or a large section (see Marion Catholic 2013 Ballad). No sousas though. Only show that would benefit from that is a NOLA Jazz show. Bones would really only be good for Jazz solos too IMO. I don't want to imagine them at 220, with some of that wonderful drill we have today.

• Like 2

I think this is another unfortunate step in the homoginization of what used to be a very distinctive brand.......what actually makes drum corps Drum Corps. There is nothing new or interesting or exciting that a french horn, trombone or Sousaphone can bring to the activity (and I am a concert French Hornist by trade). And as a horn player, there is no draw for me in adding them to the activity. I was never bothered by having to play a mello to march or felt like I was missing anything not seeing horns on the field. All we are going to see is the race to see which of the self-proclaimed design "geniuses" can force-feed us some over-the-top use of the new instrumentation and being told we just aren't bright enough to appreciate the greatness. Sad.

Edited by wonker
  • Like 9

You're not going to see full lines of trombones

So if I understand you correctly, you're predicting that they'll be no 76 trombones in the future ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I feel Horns would be wonderful for maybe a miked solo (see James Bowie HS 2012 - Pavane for a Dead Princess) or a large section (see Marion Catholic 2013 Ballad). No sousas though. Only show that would benefit from that is a NOLA Jazz show. Bones would really only be good for Jazz solos too IMO. I don't want to imagine them at 220, with some of that wonderful drill we have today.

So the kind of show OC had last year? Or ECJ in 2005?