DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

If Madison had a trombone line I bet it would be a show stopper! I wish Bluecoats could have had an opportunity in 2011 to play Harvest with that trombone solo! It would have been killer!!!!

People (young and old) hating on trombones and French horns in DCI is literally insane. How can anyone's taste in brass sound suddenly end with non bell front brass? Because of Nostalgia? Fear of change? Pretentiousness even?! Because that's not how it used to be? Those are silly reasons no matter how you slice it.

Looking forward to see what the corps do with this!

• Like 3

No, no one currently in this activity wants this. The move to Bb horns over G bugles was accommodating enough to get kids into Drum and Bugle Corps, we don't need to be adding instruments that deviate from our roots.

Obviously someone currently involved in the activity does, or else the proposal wouldn't have passed.

"Beware the Camel's Nose for once he has his nose in the tent the rest of him will follow."

Edited by Bsader
  • Like 2

Pandora's Box revisited! This just opened up the door wide open for woodwinds.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 2

DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen any official announcements yet. That said ...

Good.

Drum corps has "survived" amplification and electronic instruments. Expanded brass voicing will be much easier to implement with far less growing pains.

We've opened the flood-gates electronically. Allowing a slight expansion on the acoustic end doesn't seem like a big detail at this point.

Dry your tears, DCP. Things'll be fine.

• Like 3

People (young and old) hating on trombones and French horns in DCI is literally insane.

Literally? Like we need to do a psych hold on them? Like medication is required? Like they're a danger to threat or other?

I like trombones in orchestras, marching bands and movie musicals starring Shirley Jones and Robert Preston. I like the sad trombone sound in comedy bits. I would not like hearing them in a string quartet. I would not like them in a taiko drum ensemble. I would not like them in an a cappella choir. I must be insane.

BTW, please show me how amplification or electronics have helped expand interest in marching in a drum corps. This was part of the argument when they were adopted.

My stomach hurts.

• Like 4

Madison proposed. take the dagger out of Hop

I didn't say Hop proposed this did I? But his previous pushes to change the activity have led to this. It's called a domino effect dude. You open Pandora's box and it changes everything forever. Other than the Bb change I can't agree with any other rule change. Amps, other instruments, vocals... it's ruined the activity for me.

• Like 2

Mark my words... woodwinds will be in next year. Well done to the so called "leadership" of this activity... You've just killed drum and bugle corps. Just hurry up and merge with BoA and get it over with.

Game over.

I am done.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 5

Mark my words... woodwinds will be in next year. Well done to the socalled "leadership" of this activity... You've just killed drum and bugle corps. Just hurry up and merge with BoA and get it over with.

Game over.

I am done.

I don't know about next year but after this change, I'm sure they'll be added within the next 3-5 years. I will also be done if that happens

• Like 1

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

I know several people in the activity and I assure you that they don't want this. I myself am a trombonist and even I don't want this! I LOVE my trombone and I will continue to play it once I officially switch to bari or euph but I don't plan on auditioning for a drum corps trombone section. Our sound just isnt fit for a drum corps section and you'd have to have a hell of a great section for them to blend well and not sound like poop. Besides I think that the slide would not do well in a drum corps. I wouldn't mind hearing a sexy trombone or french horn solo on the sidelines but I would rather not hear a trombone section in drum corps and mellos are doing just fine in the place of french horns. I could eventually warm up to the idea of trombones and french horns but I know that I will NEVER want to hear a crappy sousaphone played on a drum corps field. EVER.

Edited by TboneBtonegirl
  • Like 3