DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

post 309.....asked about Royer and what would he might have done today etc etc.....who said they were selfish and dictatorial ( not me ) but they did do what they felt was necessary at the time...was it all good? probably not..was it necessary...well they sure thought so and IMO even maybe with some bad decisions...we wouldnt even have an activity today if it stayed the way it was PRE... DCI...HELL the legions and vfw's and CYOs couldnt even sustain themselves

I have yet to meet a person on DCP that has supported that we go back to Drum Corps pre DCI though Guardling. Those people left around 1965 and are either deceased or havn't been to show since around the time the new Beatles band replaced their drummer, so thats not the point. It seems like whenever someone says they might not like a particular proposal of 2013 or 2014 someone brings out the canard that we all all wish that Drum Corps stood still in 1965 or whatever and had it done so, that sytle would have made it to 2014 if NO CHANGES were ever made. Well sure there might be a few folks think that might've worked, but that crowd in numbers nationwide could probably fit into a single DCI tour bus. Lets not go overboard here and state that the majority of people unhappy with the current unstable state of the activity here in 2014 never support anything that DCI has done, nor that they have all been opposed to ALL the changes the last few decades, years, etc. It more a case of a discussion of the changes that were adopted and implemented and whether the ones implemented have been good for the activity or not.

Edited by BRASSO

I have yet to meet a person on DCP that has supported that we go back to Drum Corps pre DCI though Guardling. Those people left around 1965 and are either deceased or havn;t been to show since the Beatles replaced their drummer, so thats not the point. It seems like whenever someone says they might not like a particular proposal of 2013 or 2014 someone brings out the canard that we all all wish that Drum Corps stood still in 1965 or whatever and had it done so, that sytle would have made it to 2014 if NO CHANGES were ever made. Well sure there might be a few folks think that might work, but that crowd could probably fit into a DCI tour bus. Lets not gom overboard here and state that the majority of people unhappy with the current unstable state of the activity here in 2014 never support anything that DCI has done, nor have been opposed to ALL the changes the last few decades, years, etc. It more a case of a discussion of the changes and whether the ones implemented were good for the activity or not.

the person asked what royer would do today.....i made a statement...noone said we need to go back to the stone age.........with all its wonderful memories BUT also with all it's flaws.............................just like today

and I was just making a statement as to when many speak of the past its all good....where's the bad...but when the same speak of any progressive drum corps decades....man nothing good and all bad...and if something is good for the activity or not isnt a good point I think...1st....who's deciding this.....ahhhh the corps need to.....although anyone is entitled to an opinion BUT it's more about who likes something and who doesn't want a darn thing to change..Why not let the corps figure it out what works for them.

Edited by GUARDLING

Unfortunately, you cared enough to dignify a post of mine with a pretty crass and disgusting post. Take me out back? Older, therefore better? Little twit? Not the dialogue drum corps wants or needs right now, and I think most would probably agree with me at least on that point.

It was your initial post to me that I found insulting. You have not earned my respect to establish my interest in what your thoughts are. So once again, run along you little twit.

To my ears, both on the recordings and live (particularly when I'm seated between the 40 and 35 yard lines, where most corps put their speakers), nearly every show in 2009, 2010, and 2011 has moments ruined by goo. (Now, I know other people like the phony bass: here's Stu, for instance, praising the synthesized bass in "Ballet for Martha"--even though you say there was none!)

If you sit right in front of the speakers in any venue, for anything, the balance will be wrecked. Sitting anywhere else will lead to different experiences. Sadly, between the 40 and 35 line is where the mics are for most of the recordings, so you get the added synth at the bottom.

It was your initial post to me that I found insulting. You have not earned my respect to establish my interest in what your thoughts are. So once again, run along you little twit.

Truthfully, your first response effectively validated the very line that so insulted you.

Unfortunately, DCP has a poor reputation among many of those currently or recently involved in the activity. People avoid posting with their real names, or avoid making any connection back to the drum corps they were involved in or even avoid posting entirely. There's a strong "stay away from that place" sentiment, and I think that's really unfortunate. DCP is one of the very few drum corps-specific sites that the activity has to foster open, public conversation about shows, themes, performances, instruments, staff changes, scores, or, in this case, rules changes and the annual meetings. Your posts have keenly reminded me why I and so many others of the "younger generations" avoid coming here. I'm sure it has something to do with things like "being taken out back behind the barn."

Don't you think that's unfortunate? I mean, really?

Edited by CrownLeadSop
  • Like 1

Truthfully, your first response effectively validated the very line that so insulted you.

Unfortunately, DCP has a poor reputation among many of those currently or recently involved in the activity. People avoid posting with their real names, or avoid making any connection back to the drum corps they were involved in or even avoid posting entirely. There's a strong "stay away from that place" sentiment, and I think that's really unfortunate. DCP is one of the very few drum corps-specific sites that the activity has to foster open, public conversation about shows, themes, performances, instruments, staff changes, scores, or, in this case, rules changes and the annual meetings. Your posts have keenly reminded me why I and so many others of the "younger generations" avoid coming here. I'm sure it has something to do with things like "being taken out back behind the barn."

Don't you think that's unfortunate? I mean, really?

I will certainly vouch for the reality and very common sentiment of many directors,staff and not just of the younger generation...BUT as I said before DCP night on the bus is loads of fun and full of material unfortunately supplied by very frequent posters...NO..im not saying who....people could figure that out ...it wouldnt be hard.......lol

I hate when members dont respect who came before them BUT sometimes people have no one to blame for that but themselves.......and yes that does go both ways

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Perhaps some strange confusion by the judge involving poorly played sousaphones and trombones?

Contras and Baris. We're one of those schools

If you sit right in front of the speakers in any venue, for anything, the balance will be wrecked. Sitting anywhere else will lead to different experiences. Sadly, between the 40 and 35 line is where the mics are for most of the recordings, so you get the added synth at the bottom.

Well, I've attended precious few pop/rock concerts, and may thus have lucked out. The (usual) lack of amplification means it's not a problem at most orchestral concerts, and of course it was never a problem in drum corps before 2004, and not really a significant problem before 2009. Ignoring the experience of ten yards' width of audience (that's 500 people in a stadium with 30 rows) doesn't seem like a good approach to take to customer service--and while the problem is worst in that area of the stadiums, it's not negligible elsewhere. The 2013 goo was almost tolerable when I was on the 50-yard line near the top in Massillon (yet even my first-time-at-corps friends noticed it at times, though only the one who works as a professional sound engineer grimaced), but the number of people in that sweet spot was only a small percentage of the overall attendance.

• Like 1

Oh pleeeeze... don't tell me I'm on a high horse, or I'll take you behind the barn. I have supported " Drum Corps " before you even knew what a horse looked like, so spare me the long and bombastic lecture on what I need to do you little twit.

The arrogance and entitlement of the current generation has risen to a sickening level. When I marched, I never would have considered talking to my instructors and elders in this manner. I idolized these guys. The lack of respect among the current marching membership is partially to blame for why I will no longer support the "drum corps" activity. At this point I will enjoy watching its destruction.

That's why I made up the name "Michael Boo" and created the scenario about me marching with The Cavaliers.

...Unfortunately, DCP has a poor reputation among many of those currently or recently involved in the activity. People avoid posting with their real names, or avoid making any connection back to the drum corps they were involved in or even avoid posting entirely...

• Like 2