DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

While not very happy with the vote I will say French Horn bugles used to be in Drum Corps in the 70s think they phased out in early 80's but The Royal Crusaders had a french horn soloist and bluestars also in 78 or 79 bluecoats also had a couple french horn bugles in 74/75

Westshoremen had a mid voice of both French Horns and Mellophones in the mid to late 70s. Interesting mix and not that many of them.....

Nope, it was me. I couldn't help myself at 2 in the morning.

shame on you. You should know you save those for when Stu goes on his tangents

:tounge2:

I know that many people will probably hate me for this, but I actually don't care.

Remember the overwhelmingly negative reaction crown's uniform got? How did that turn out?

I may be remembering it wrong, but all I am saying is let's give it a chance. If it doesn't work, it can always be rescinded at the next rules congress

Remember the overwhelmingly negative reaction crown's uniform got? How did that turn out?

Well this is a uniform question, right ? Well in this uniform question case, on the uniform thread on here below, nobody offered up that this was one of the best new uniforms on the DCI field the last decade or so. My guess, just speculation here, is that more people disliked their 2013 uniform than liked it... and if compared to previous uniforms they have worn, it probably does not fare comparatively well with previous Crown unis editions with the public that pays attention to these things. So in a nutshell, how did their uniform go over with the public ? I'd have to conclude " not so well ". But others are certainly free to chime in that this observation of mine as inaccurate or whatever, and that Crown's 2013 uniform was a bit hit nationwide with the public or some such.

Edited by BRASSO

Well this is a uniform question, right ? Well it this case, on the uniform thread on here below, nobody offered up that this was one of the best new uniforms on the DCI field the last decade or so. My guess, just speculation here, is that more people disliked their 2013 uniform than liked it... and if compared to previous uniforms they have worn, it probably does not fare comparatively well with previous Crown unis editions with the public that pays attention to these things. So in a nutshell, how did their uniform go over with the public ? I'd have to say " not so well ". But others are certainly free to chime in that this observation of mine as inaccurate or whatever, and that Crown's 2013 uniform was a bit hit nationwide or some such.

Wow. I really don't see how you can come to such a conclusion. In fact, I don't see how there can be any conclusion drawn based on real data, in either direction.

Personally, I loved their uniform last year, but I am not extrapolating it to anyone else beyond MHO.

• Like 1

Wow. I really don't see how you can come to such a conclusion. In fact, I don't see how there can be any conclusion drawn based on real data, in either direction.

Personally, I loved their uniform last year, but I am not extrapolating it to anyone else beyond MHO.

This was my own conclusion. I do agree with you that my personal observation may or may not be reflective of the drum corps fanbase nationwide. But in my travels, I heard more negative reactions than positive reactions, but perhaps in your travels, you heard more positive reactions than negatives reactions too. That might skew both our observations on this a bit, and thats entirely possible, MikeD

Did you like Crown's 2013 uniforms over previous editions they have worn since their inception ? How would you compare it to the others they have worn ? At the top, in the middle, or below ? Personally, I liked several other previous editions that Crown has worn in previous years. But of course, thats just my personal likes too being expresse here re. their uniform choices.

Edited by BRASSO

Marching French Horns were around through the early 2000s, SCV even had a few of them in 2001-2002. Now 12 years later, they're bringing that specific voice back into the fold.

Speaking from professional experience (I work at an agency with a market research arm), it's disgustingly expensive to get something truly accurate and worthwhile, especially in the "niche" zone.

Here's a question for the class:

How do you lower the cost of the activity - tuition, operating costs, or ticket prices - in any discernible way without taking away from the quality?

You buy into the notion that the inclusion of things like electronics doesn't = an increase in quality. Imagine the initial cost for a corps to purchase everything needed to compete with your standard top 12 electronics package, and the annual cost of maintaining it. All for a few rare moments of "oh that was actually kind of cool" that are far overshadowed by the "that was dumb", "narration sucks", "turn down the bass before I have an involuntary bowel movement" comments.

sad that apathy has hit many people. I'm that way, and quite honestly, i'm just telling people to stop ########...if you hate it that much, show em how you hate it and don't spend.

I don't know: I marched in the late 90's, have a family, lots of friends in the activity, a job, etc. I think it's perfectly reasonable to not get upset, or even care, at the idea of slightly different instruments being used in drum corps. I think it's more goofy to make a big fuss about it: it is, and always has been, just summer marching band.

I agree: stop complaining & instead stop spending money/time on the activity if you have no interest in it anymore.

• Like 1