DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

' Not saying they should, but since they are of voting age, did they have a vote on the proposals, or simply invited there for their " involvement " ? If its mostly " about the kids " ( who foot the bill for this ) why not have a REAL change and let them vote on things, even if its not binding with the elected adult DCI officials ? Or is DCI not quite ready for that level of " change " yet ?

never mind :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

Ah, the typical configuration would have been 4 mellos, 8 frenches -> then it was 6 mellos, 6 frenchies -> to what you describe above. Interesting... They pulled off that sound with 4 french horns...

What I'd like to hear is a mix of:

1st Trumpet

2nd Cornet

3rd Flugel

1st Mello

1st/2nd Alto horn

2nd/ 3rd Frenchie

1st Trombonium

1st /2nd Bari

2nd/ 3rd Euph

Tuba

I'd have to think about the exact numbers breakdown in each voice to fill out an 80+ hornline...

I think it would be a very nice sound that would be different than what is heard on the field today, but not super "out there". Now with this rules change,

I guess you'd plug in trombone and french horn, but I doubt any corps would add the cornet or alto horns into the mix.

It would look kinda bizarre too...

Very much would like to see your number breakdown for this voicing :)

I think we've been over this, but most drum corps don't really lose money on the horns they are buying at wholesale and turning around at the end of the season for slightly under. You'd have to look at their books to verify, but this was my understanding when I was working at Yamaha.

I was referring to ALL equipment not just instruments.

Just a guy that sits in the stands and buys t-shirts here. Never marched a corps. I used to tell people about drum corps and inevitably they would say, "You mean marching band?" Then I'd explain how it's unique with a wall of brass and drums. Now it's just no woodwinds, except for the nonjudged intro. Now I guess I tell them that it's kinda like marching band but you don't really get what the show is about and if you really don't understand it, it probably scores higher. (Just a little bit of sarcasm.)

Basically, I'm less interested in going to shows with this change, maybe even more so than amplified instruments. If woodwinds ever are introduced, or when they're introduced, I'm completely done.

Keep your identity!!!

• Like 1

Are you referring to the late William Revelli, former director of the Michigan Marching Band?

That's the one. Had us all on the run. He kicked a kid out of the band at Interlochen Summer Music Camp - they didn't invite him back after that.

DCI getting sassy on twitter.....lol

1920123_508318985956128_299678912_n.jpg

funny, but sarcasm can bite you in the ###

• Like 1