DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

A lot of you seem to be forgetting, ww's already are allowed. Granted it's pre-show only, but passing this proposal puts them one step closer to the main show. Anyone laughing now and saying "Just get over it. It won't happen" (you know, like you did when you said a&e, and mic'd voice will never pass?) are having their day, but I give it another 5 years or so. Then those of us who said "told you so" will welcome you in with open arms. And once the ww's hit the field, I'm hitting the exit stands.

It was closer than I expected. Assuming that, at championships, the Div. II and III corps in 1999 averaged the same percentage of the maximum allowed members as the Open Class corps did in 2013 (58%), and likewise for the 1999 Div. I corps and 2013 World Class corps (92%), we find:

1999 Div. I -- 22 corps x (128 x 92%) = 2,591 members

1999 Div. II -- 12 corps x (120 x 58%) = 835 members

1999 Div. III -- 31 corps x (60 x 58%) = 1,079 members

TOTAL 1999 = 4,505 members

2013 World -- 22 corps x (150 x 92%) = 3,036 members

2013 Open -- 14 corps x (150 x 58%) = 1,218 members

TOTAL 2013 = 4,254 members

The only number that could be considered factual is 29 fewer corps.

Membership numbers are only speculative in nature and thus akin to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Well, I'm confident that my 2013 membership numbers are pretty close, since I actually counted (using Fan Network video) to determine those percentages. And it's quite possible that someone knows the actual numbers for 1999 and can refine my calculations. Earlier in this thread, cixelsyd was able to provide the membership size for the 1999 Joliet Kingsmen, for instance.

A lot of you seem to be forgetting, ww's already are allowed. Granted it's pre-show only, but passing this proposal puts them one step closer to the main show. Anyone laughing now and saying "Just get over it. It won't happen" (you know, like you did when you said a&e, and mic'd voice will never pass?) are having their day, but I give it another 5 years or so. Then those of us who said "told you so" will welcome you in with open arms. And once the ww's hit the field, I'm hitting the exit stands.

Actually, Crown has already included a flute sample in their field show.

Excellent advice, but not sure if you really understood the point of the movie. What War Games was really saying is that the so called "visionaries" have a responsibility to consider the ramifications of their "vision". That is, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. Perhaps the rules congress would do well by viewing this movie.

Would you like to play a flute?

Well, I'm confident that my 2013 membership numbers are pretty close, since I actually counted (using Fan Network video) to determine those percentages. And it's quite possible that someone knows the actual numbers for 1999 and can refine my calculations. Earlier in this thread, cixelsyd was able to provide the membership size for the 1999 Joliet Kingsmen, for instance.

spockfascinating.jpg

You're right, "pit only" would make sense as the next step and be a much easier sell than on field. I don't know why I even feel so strongly about it. I play electric bass for the Baltimore Ravens Marching Band. Talk about a hypocrite.

How the Hades do they hear you with all the sousaphones????

So what do you do during all the 4th of July parades I've seen the band at. Usually at Havre de Grace and Towson for some reason.....

How the Hades do they hear you with all the sousaphones????

So what do you do during all the 4th of July parades I've seen the band at. Usually at Havre de Grace and Towson for some reason.....

I hand out water at the parades or play trumpet/mellophone - no way I'm trying to do the silly cart / PA thing. At the games I have a big speaker and PA support. I try to play the low sub notes underneath the sousas to make them sound bigger rather than trying to play over them.

• Like 1

Actually, Crown has already included a flute sample in their field show.

I've always wondered how they would police samplers, modern synths, etc. You can sample just about anything, assign it to a key and the judge probably never knows what you are doing.

The irony of all of this is I started playing drums to get away from woodwinds (especially the clairnet which I played with very little enthusiasm) and to be in a drum and bugle corps because of the 'pure' brass sound.

Now those darned woodwinds are sneaking back and bugles are dead. Who woulda thunk? :music:

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

Don't know. If so, that could work against my argument!

Edit: but thanks to fsubone's numbers below, it probably doesn't--although it was closer than I expected. Assuming that, at championships, the Div. II and III corps in 1999 averaged the same percentage of the maximum allowed members as the Open Class corps did in 2013 (58%), and likewise for the 1999 Div. I corps and 2013 World Class corps (92%), we find:

this is assuming everyone was full

this is assuming everyone was full

no -- it's assuming everyone was a certain percentage of full (which was listed right there in the table).

and i suspect the % in 1999 for div 2,3 corps was probably lower than it is currently.

kind of interesting that this metric (number of MM served at finals) has never surfaced before.

Don't know. If so, that could work against my argument!

Edit: but thanks to fsubone's numbers below, it probably doesn't--although it was closer than I expected. Assuming that, at championships, the Div. II and III corps in 1999 averaged the same percentage of the maximum allowed members as the Open Class corps did in 2013 (58%), and likewise for the 1999 Div. I corps and 2013 World Class corps (92%), we find: