DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Actually does any band actually get soft anymore? The amps are constantly pumping stuff out.

• Like 2

I can think of an even earlier example than Spirit of Ott's early genius: go listen to "My Way" from '73 Commodores. IIRC, Ott arranged for that show. Anyway, "My Way" starts soft, then builds and builds... but very unlike similar era corps, when you might expect it to build to blastissimo thru to the end, it softens again. Specifically, right at "the record shows, I took the blows, and did it My Way" they play it with a decrescendo. Very cool..

I am confused by how the Commodores' 1973 Prelims score (for the alarming "thunderstorm" performance--it's stunning that the show wasn't halted [listen particularly at 0:30, 4:26, 8:26 and 9:45]) is reported at corpsreps: 10th place with 72.25, but the 11th-16th place corps all have higher scores. How is that possible?

I am confused by how the Commodores' 1973 Prelims score (for the alarming "thunderstorm" performance--it's stunning that the show wasn't halted [listen particularly at 0:30, 4:26, 8:26 and 9:45]) is reported at corpsreps: 10th place with 72.25, but the 11th-16th place corps all have higher scores. How is that possible?

Commodores scored 77.4 in the 1973 prelims. 72.25 is their finals score.

Commodores scored 77.4 in the 1973 prelims. 72.25 is their finals score.

Thanks. A typo at CorpsReps, then.

• 2 weeks later...

Very much would like to see your number breakdown for this voicing :)

1st Trumpet - 8

2nd Cornet - 8

3rd Flugel - 10

1st Mellophones - 4

1st/2nd Alto horn - 6

2nd/ 3rd Frenchie - 8

1st Trombonium - 6

1st /2nd Bari - 10

2nd/ 3rd Euph - 10

Tuba - 16