DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

You buy into the notion that the inclusion of things like electronics doesn't = an increase in quality. Imagine the initial cost for a corps to purchase everything needed to compete with your standard top 12 electronics package, and the annual cost of maintaining it. All for a few rare moments of "oh that was actually kind of cool" that are far overshadowed by the "that was dumb", "narration sucks", "turn down the bass before I have an involuntary bowel movement" comments.

We've been through this before, haven't we? Electronics is not a major expense: the major expense is the actual touring part - gas, housing & rehearsal facilities, food, etc. In fact, it is MUCH easier to clean one synth player playing a low brass-type of line than it is to clean an entire contra section (i.e. it might actually be CHEAPER to have more electronics implementation).

• Like 2

If you took someone to an American football game, how would you explain that its called football with very little involvement between the foot and the ball? Looks more like run and tackle ball. Doesn't stop it from being identified as football.

Or stand around for a long time before moving for a few seconds ball

We've been through this before, haven't we? Electronics is not a major expense: the major expense is the actual touring part - gas, housing & rehearsal facilities, food, etc. In fact, it is MUCH easier to clean one synth player playing a low brass-type of line than it is to clean an entire contra section (i.e. it might actually be CHEAPER to have more electronics implementation).

How much has the size of contra lines shrunk since the inception of synths? That's what would make it cheaper, if I understand.

You buy into the notion that the inclusion of things like electronics doesn't = an increase in quality. Imagine the initial cost for a corps to purchase everything needed to compete with your standard top 12 electronics package, and the annual cost of maintaining it. All for a few rare moments of "oh that was actually kind of cool" that are far overshadowed by the "that was dumb", "narration sucks", "turn down the bass before I have an involuntary bowel movement" comments.

I hereby declare you the winner of this thread. I don't know how your "involuntary bowel movement" comment can ever be topped.

• Like 2

How much has the size of contra lines shrunk since the inception of synths? That's what would make it cheaper, if I understand.

For some reason I remembered that the pit was created so one person could play tymp and free up 3 others to play other perc on the field..... And the 4 bell players could keep that person company......

LOT of company in the pit now a days....

• Like 1

For some reason I remembered that the pit was created so one person could play tymp and free up 3 others to play other perc on the field..... And the 4 bell players could keep that person company......

LOT of company in the pit now a days....

Funny how they make a excuse to make a ruling "fit" its needs "today" then change how its used years later.

Sort of like amplification was only going to be used in the pit only. See how long that lasted. Im taking bets on how long it will take for DCA to go to full blown electronics now that they have got the pits amped. Probably not long since a lot of the people designing shows are also band designers as well.

Edited by camel lips

DCI reality lesson #1; if they think it will help them get a better score, they will vote to add it in

DCI reality lesson #2....people will #####, but still go.

until the people in #2 stop going, #1 won't change.

• Like 2

Speaking from professional experience (I work at an agency with a market research arm), it's disgustingly expensive to get something truly accurate and worthwhile, especially in the "niche" zone.

Here's a question for the class:

How do you lower the cost of the activity - tuition, operating costs, or ticket prices - in any discernible way without taking away from the quality?

Possible ways to reduce costs:

- less staff. seriously people, some of the corps have 75 people teaching/planning/designing. while the salaries for individual positions are meager, cut several and save more. in addition it'll be a reduction in mouths to feed (food cost), bus weight (fuel), flights in and out of camps/rehearsal locations.

- is there a way to negotiate housing costs? how much is being charged here?

- i agree with what was stated earlier about bringing the number of participants down from 150 to something less than that. yet again, less food cost, fuel, etc.

"It's great to see some older stuff historic Drum Corps. I wonder if those that scream about changes really want it to stay like this though because quite honestly, I wouldn't watch it if it was like this"

I watched the vintage footage posted on dci.org yesterday of the 1955 Madison Scouts. I think it's obvious that drum corps has, overall, gone in the right direction - in spite of navigating in ever-chaning times. I know you can't compare 1955 to the present. But, if you consider the evolution of the activity to the product that's on today's field, I don't think you can lay a strong argument otherwise.

I don't think you're going to see wholesale changes to on-field instrumentation. However, if we do, I think we can expect it to improve the sound and sight of the show.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1