DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

DCI scoring is based on how the corps directors themselves want to be judged, so they will amend the sheets to accommodate any "poopy" sound of any instruments they allow.

I think that it's even possible that "simultaneous demand" scores will increase. "Look how well you move your feet and those slides! Wonderful!"

Other than the glis, is there anything unique about a trombone sound?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I think it's a bad rule change, but to your last question, yes, the trombone sound is brighter than a baritone. I'd hope that if anyone wants to use them, that they're kept to solo use in the pit. On the field, as marching instruments, they'll look like absolute ---t.

• Like 1

I think it's a bad rule change, but to your last question, yes, the trombone sound is brighter than a baritone. I'd hope that if anyone wants to use them, that they're kept to solo use in the pit. On the field, as marching instruments, they'll look like absolute ---t.

So a bone is between a bari and a Euph - brighter - but is it unique to the other voices now available for use in drum corps?

Edited by garfield

Trombone tubing is mostly cylindrical, whereas baritone tubing is @ 50/50 cylindrical/conical. Euphonium tubing is mostly conical. VERY unique tone qualities to the trained ear.

Harvest concerto by Mackey performed by Bloo would have been truer to it's original, but I appreciate the activity for it's pre-2014 instrumentation and the ability of arrangers to create books that are unique. IOW, I can love both the original composition as much as the drum corps arrangement.

Edited by JAZZER
  • Like 1

Maybe it will sound good maybe they can get real creative but this dosent change that I want REAL DRUM CORPS. I was ###### when they added amps and speakers and the key change don't get me going. I'm surprised also this was perpetrated by Madison's administration just a bad idea. Yuck

So a bone is between a bari and a Euph - brighter - but is it unique to the other voices now available for use in drum corps?

I would say that it is, yes. The sound is more piercing (or at least, in can be) than anything that's in the brass choir now.

I'm actually less concerned with Trombones than I am with Sousaphones. No one thought to take that instrument out of the mix?

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

This will keep me away. Guess I'm not a fan. But it's about the kids. Hope the kids have fun with summer band.

This smacks of just another desperate move by the directors to maintain the activity. And they were willing to give up the identity along the way. Since this is now summer band I see no reason to go. Have fun!

• Like 3

I'm also not a fan of the idea, unless they are limited to ensembles. Which I am thinking won't happen, honestly. But as always, before I ##### about it, I'll give it a chance. I'll go on record, tho, that I think I'm a pretty open-minded guy when it comes to drum corps, but just because I tolerate a change doesn't mean I think it was a good idea. If it were up to me, everything would still be in G.

THAT SAID, has it occurred to anyone yet that, with rule change, TBDBITL is 100% qualified to compete for the title of TBDDCITL?

• Like 3