DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

I watched the vintage footage posted on dci.org yesterday of the 1955 Madison Scouts. I think it's obvious that drum corps has, overall, gone in the right direction - in spite of navigating in ever-chaning times. I know you can't compare 1955 to the present. But, if you consider the evolution of the activity to the product that's on today's field, I don't think you can lay a strong argument otherwise.

I don't think you're going to see wholesale changes to on-field instrumentation. However, if we do, I think we can expect it to improve the sound and sight of the show.

I agree, you easily can defend any changes when comparing the 55 footage to the current product. I think that was DCI's intent by posting it. It's like they were saying, "If there is any change you don't like, you must want to go back to this". That was my original point.

Funny how they make a excuse to make a ruling "fit" its needs "today" then change how its used years later.

Sort of like amplification was only going to be used in the pit only. See how long that lasted.

Kind of like how any-key brass was going to be just "brass bell-front valve instruments in any key with the exception of sousaphones and trombones".

• Like 1

Deal-with-it-trombone-gif.gif

Complaining is in fact one way to deal with this change. For those who feel strongly enough, withholding their dollars from DCI is another way to deal with it.

• Like 1

I agree, you easily can defend any changes when comparing the 55 footage to the current product. I think that was DCI's intent by posting it. It's like they were saying, "If there is any change you don't like, you must want to go back to this". That was my original point.

Kinda extreme if that was the point.... haven't seen 1955 show yet and can't wait to get the time to watch as I have 50s audio but haven't seen any video. Yeah we have to go back to no contras, start-end lines and drum line elevators drills..... suuuuuure

This was my own conclusion. I do agree with you that my personal observation may or may not be reflective of the drum corps fanbase nationwide. But in my travels, I heard more negative reactions than positive reactions, but perhaps in your travels, you heard more positive reactions than negatives reactions too. That might skew both our observations on this a bit, and thats entirely possible, MikeD

Did you like Crown's 2013 uniforms over previous editions they have worn since their inception ? How would you compare it to the others they have worn ? At the top, in the middle, or below ? Personally, I liked several other previous editions that Crown has worn in previous years. But of course, thats just my personal likes too being expresse here re. their uniform choices.

I've tended NOT to like some of their uniforms, actually. Cream on cream seemed a bit bland in look for such a dynamic-sounding corps. I loved last year's the most of any.

I never really heard much in the way of negative at the two live shows I attended, but it is just anecdotal evidence from a small sample.

We've been through this before, haven't we? Electronics is not a major expense: the major expense is the actual touring part - gas, housing & rehearsal facilities, food, etc. In fact, it is MUCH easier to clean one synth player playing a low brass-type of line than it is to clean an entire contra section (i.e. it might actually be CHEAPER to have more electronics implementation).

It would cheaper still to replace all (or most) of the horns with a handful of synths. That would reduce transportation costs too. But it wouldn't still be drum corps.

It's going around Facebook now that the only trombones allowed are the plastic ones. Who makes up this stuff?

DCI, by not getting ahead of the rumors.

• Like 1

For some reason I remembered that the pit was created so one person could play tymp and free up 3 others to play other perc on the field..... And the 4 bell players could keep that person company......

LOT of company in the pit now a days....

One person was allowed to play timpani prior to the pit, but they still had to be on the actual performing field, not the area in front of the pit.

A few memories about the evolution of the pit:

At first, only two mallet keyboards were allowed, worn around the neck of members who, with the exception of the concert standstill, were required to keep their feet moving. Those were allowed for the 1974 season, with the restriction that the instruments were bells and xylophone. For 1977, (my last year as a mallet player in Cavaliers), vibes and marimba were allowed, but still, only two players were permitted. For 1978, up to four players were permitted, but still wearing the instruments.
For 1981, the pit was allowed, but only between the 45-yard lines, in front of the field. Many corps did not take advantage of it. Then the pit was expanded to between the 35-yard lines, then the entire front of the field, then later behind the back of the field if someone wanted to treat it that way. (Think Carolina Crown's timpani and bass drums.) Then membership limits was increased from 128 to 135 to allow for more pit players, then to 150. (Either way, corps could employ the increase any way they wished.) Soon, the sound board person was permitted to be someone other than a corps member; so that person now could be in the pit.
Then, with electronics, synthesizers were added to the pit. What's next? Perhaps a judge just for the pit, seeing that the current on-field percussion judge often has to be clear across the field to sample the battery percussion, who anymore, aren't much (if any) larger than the number of pit performers.
  • Like 1

DCI, by not getting ahead of the rumors.

How does one get ahead of something not yet made up? Besides, the weekly e-mailing is when things are addressed in depth. Until then, we'll likely see lots more active imaginations at work.