DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

I'm confused. I spent 10 years in the drumcorps activity. To me, drumcorps is about working your butt off (in extreme conditions) to achieve perfection. You can give my local high school all bell front brass instruments and take away the woodwinds, but that does not make them a drumcorps. Likewise, you can give the Santa Clara Vanguard trombones and that does not make them a marching band.

If drumcorps start rehearsing 3 days a week for 3 hours at a time and only do shows on Saturdays I will be upset. Until then, I don't see how this changes the activity. I will wait until I see how this is implemented and then make a final decision on how I feel. For now though, all I can say is....meh.

Z

• Like 5

I'm confused. I spent 10 years in the drumcorps activity. To me, drumcorps is about working your butt off (in extreme conditions) to achieve perfection. You can give my local high school all bell front brass instruments and take away the woodwinds, but that does not make them a drumcorps. Likewise, you can give the Santa Clara Vanguard trombones and that does not make them a marching band.

If drumcorps start rehearsing 3 days a week for 3 hours at a time and only do shows on Saturdays I will be upset. Until then, I don't see how this changes the activity. I will wait until I see how this is implemented and then make a final decision on how I feel. For now though, all I can say is....meh.

Z

Yes, and considering that I had to re-up my Friends membership and buy tickets before Dec 31st, I'm already on the hook for this season. A big incentive in my giving it a year to see how I like it but you can be da_n sure that next year, they better be willing to accept my membership, without losing any benefits, after the rules congress in Feb, 2015.

My bigger issue is the _kid. After 13 seasons of following me around doing drum corps, he's 10 months from his first try out. He didn't really respond much to the all-brass news, but he then said "One more nail and I'm out. Just summer marching band then. It may then be bands on steroids, but it's still bands. I do that in the fall."

He's been involved long enough to know his opinions don't have to match mine. I can drop my membership and still support him financially to march. But I might spend more time at home or getting a hotdog at the stadium.

• Like 1

No surprise.... Grew up to love what could be done with the sound of horn/perc only with the "less than perfect" horns. To me part of what made DC great was facing a challenge with the handicap of less instruments and overcoming the odds. OK, horns are better (no problem) and we are up to 3 valves (took a while to get used to the look) and Bb (can't tell the difference). And also the electronics (IMO - gag).....

Only thing missing is WW and the playing field between MB and DC is level. And the sound is the same (again.... IMO gag).

Edited by JimF-LowBari