Where is DCI headed?

What do you guys think the activity will be like in 2020?

Id say full blown theatre

Alot of the changes have given me second thoughts about marching

Still about the kids on the field, same way it's always been. Still about them working their butts off day in and day out to provide a breathtaking performance 20-30 times over the summer for the crowds in the stands.

• Like 7

I am thinking that summer marching bands soon will become a part of or a new division of DCI competitions including championships. As we get fewer and fewer corps - they will be needed to bring in additional revenue. After this happens and much of the original fan base leaves or is aged away - it will morph into a marching competition which will just be a total blending of bands and corps. After all even now any high school band could join the competition with sousaphones, trombones etc - they just have to use their woodwind players to enlarge the percussion and color guard sections. When DCI allows woodwinds there really is no reason whatsoever to make a distinction between bands and drum corps and likely the name drum corps will be totally eliminated so it is more descriptive to what the activity has become. DCI will become MBI (Marching Band International) or something similar. Perhaps not by 2020, but in the not too distant future. It will be characterized as a natural change, progress, and something "for the kids" so as to make any naysayers sound like they just don't get it. Sad, but I think inevitable.

• Like 1

I am thinking that summer marching bands soon will become a part of or a new division of DCI competitions including championships. As we get fewer and fewer corps - they will be needed to bring in additional revenue. After this happens and much of the original fan base leaves or is aged away - it will morph into a marching competition which will just be a total blending of bands and corps. After all even now any high school band could join the competition with sousaphones, trombones etc - they just have to use their woodwind players to enlarge the percussion and color guard sections. When DCI allows woodwinds there really is no reason whatsoever to make a distinction between bands and drum corps and likely the name drum corps will be totally eliminated so it is more descriptive to what the activity has become. DCI will become MBI (Marching Band International) or something similar. Perhaps not by 2020, but in the not too distant future. It will be characterized as a natural change, progress, and something "for the kids" so as to make any naysayers sound like they just don't get it. Sad, but I think inevitable.

I find it hard to believe that HS bands will ever be a part of the summer tour or competition. drum corps more like bands maybe BUT HS bands no , mainly because what HS kid wants to still be part of his HS band and the school scene all through the summer...What attracts kids to drum corps or whatever one wants to call it is...travel...different people....a more adult atmosphere ....not under the rules or thumb of a HS setting....JMO

• Like 1

Pro-BOA summer division...which is why DCI needs to seperate out classes with certain rules and instrumentation along with revamping the touring model with more regional shows to reduce cost

I'm fine with exploring more ideas, soundsport, drumline battle, indoor corps (during WGI season), even all instrumentation....BUT if they lump all the same rules in world class and open class....like with Bb and electronics most corps will follow the big boys whether they should, really want to (and some could argue even if they can afford to)

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 1