Where is DCI headed?

For all those wondering, here is where DCI is heading: http://www.dci.org/schedule/

You can search by corps, city, etc. Just so we don't have to get onto 10 pages, and we all know where DCI is heading.

That joke was only mildly witty when perc2100 posted it four pages ago.

• Like 1

That joke was only mildly witty when perc2100 posted it four pages ago.

Ok.

• Like 1

I believe that Drum Corps will become a summer presentation of an umbrella corporation, such as Music and Color International! It will be merged with WGI, Sound Sport, Drumline and other music programs, ie: Concert Bands, Wind Ensembles, etc.. I think that was an original intent when DCI moved from Lombard to Indy! The first step of the master plan was to kiss up to BOA!! Well, here is the next step.. Trombones, French Horns, etc. It doesn't matter whether they are in the pit, Mic'd, or a full section on the field. The rule is in place now, and probably will never be rescinded! GOOD LUCK!! You won't be seeing me in the stands anymore~~ I'll support the corps that voted against this rule.. ALL THREE OF THEM!!!!

There are important structural reasons that BOA/MFA and DCI would have one hell of time merging. I'm going to copy/paste a reply I posted in another thread which outlines some of the reasons, as well as explains what BOA actually IS (a lot of you don't seem to know) - but the primary reason they won't ever merge is in bold:

Some of you appear not to even know what BOA is, which might inform your opinion of the likelihood these wild-eyed conspiracy theories have of being true. Bands of America has such a different structure and mission that I seriously doubt if they would want to absorb DCI, and vice versa. Bands Of America is an operating division of a parent non-profit. That parent organization, Music For All, is not focused on marching music, but on the advocacy of music education in public schools. They aren't YEA!/USBANDS, which basically is a fundraiser for an existing drum corps. Music For All is an organization that happens to run some really well-produced high school band invitationals in addition to massive concert music festivals, camps, and other advocacy activities. When you really get down to it, they're a professional event management company that also does some lobbying and grassroots political organizing.

DCI and WGI have been "strategic partners" (NOT sponsors) of Music For All for a long time. That means the three work together to promote common goals. It doesn't mean they have any intent of merging. Frankly, I think MFA is too well run to want to take on a huge liability like drum corps in its current state. More to the point, from the corps' perspectives, the way the organizations are structured at the board of directors level is so different as to make them 100% incompatible. If DCI wanted to merge with BOA, the corps would have to give up all claim to their seats within the leadership of the organization. That's the bottom line, and it's not gonna happen - no matter how much it might actually help them to have the competitive circuit business offices decouple from the corps business offices.

• Like 1

That's an excellent point.

What do you guys think the activity will be like in 2020?

I've been saying for awhile now that eventually DCI and DCA will merge as a last ditch effort to try and save whats left. Both DCI and DCA have been much more simpatico in their thinking the last few years than ever before.. Cadets2 foray into DCA might have been Hops seeing the same thing in his crystal ball too, and he got his organization in before the others eventually will down the road too. Thats what my admittedly foggy crystal ball these days is seeing up ahead anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

There are important structural reasons that BOA/MFA and DCI would have one hell of time merging. I'm going to copy/paste a reply I posted in another thread which outlines some of the reasons, as well as explains what BOA actually IS (a lot of you don't seem to know) - but the primary reason they won't ever merge is in bold:

Some of you appear not to even know what BOA is, which might inform your opinion of the likelihood these wild-eyed conspiracy theories have of being true. Bands of America has such a different structure and mission that I seriously doubt if they would want to absorb DCI, and vice versa. Bands Of America is an operating division of a parent non-profit. That parent organization, Music For All, is not focused on marching music, but on the advocacy of music education in public schools. They aren't YEA!/USBANDS, which basically is a fundraiser for an existing drum corps. Music For All is an organization that happens to run some really well-produced high school band invitationals in addition to massive concert music festivals, camps, and other advocacy activities. When you really get down to it, they're a professional event management company that also does some lobbying and grassroots political organizing.

DCI and WGI have been "strategic partners" (NOT sponsors) of Music For All for a long time. That means the three work together to promote common goals. It doesn't mean they have any intent of merging. Frankly, I think MFA is too well run to want to take on a huge liability like drum corps in its current state. More to the point, from the corps' perspectives, the way the organizations are structured at the board of directors level is so different as to make them 100% incompatible. If DCI wanted to merge with BOA, the corps would have to give up all claim to their seats within the leadership of the organization. That's the bottom line, and it's not gonna happen - no matter how much it might actually help them to have the competitive circuit business offices decouple from the corps business offices.

I haven't studied the structure of MFA or how BOA lines up in it, or how the revenues of BOA flow to or through MFA (although I suspect I'm about to study up on it), but I can tell you for certain that the red-highlighted sentence above is exactly how some DCI Board members view DCI's role. It fact, it was a cornerstone to the claims of the G7 several years ago. Based on the presumption that the viewpoint is true, it would suggest duplication of efforts and inefficiencies that might be eliminated by the two organizations pooling their efforts and cost/revenue structures in promoting the fall marching band and summer DCI tour efforts of "Music for All".

I fail to see how DCI's becoming an operating unit of BOA would prevent the corps directors from exercising control over their "division" of MFA, particularly when the two major operating units (BOA and DCI) operate during different seasons of the year. Gaining efficiencies by merging would not, necessarily, require drum corps directors give up control of their tour schedule or promotion. In fact, a merger could enhance the efforts of both.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

I've been saying for awhile now that eventually DCI and DCA will merge as a last ditch effort to save whats left. Both DCI and DCA have been much more simpatico in their thinking the last few years than ever before.. Cadets2 foray into DCA might have been Hops seeing the same thing in his crystal ball too, and he got his organization in before the others eventually will down the road too. Thats what my admittedly foggy crystal ball is seeing up ahead anyway.

DCA has been 5-10 years behind DCI on major changes, and in any merger, someone is going to lose power. There's this misconception on DCP that HOP is all powerful now in DCA, and he isn't. If anything, some of his actions over the last year has done more to damage his relations with DCA then help consolidate power.