Where is DCI headed?

2. Drum corps will become even more of a rich kids' activity. For all the talk about making membership more appealing and accessible to a more diverse group of youth, there's been very little, if any, movement in that direction. With gas prices rising and the financial stressors that innovations like trombones, woodwinds, electronics and now technologies bring, participating in drum corps is going to continue to get more and more expensive. Who's going to be able to afford to participate? A pretty narrow bandwidth of kids.

Do any corps offer need-based scholarships?

Junior drum corps will still be a mobile music summer camp for middle and upper class band kids. I love the activity, but that's what it is.

As far as rule changes go I think this will be one of the last major ones affecting on field content for a while, and honestly I don't think this one is that major. Next year every corps will feel obligated to use their new toys, but use will drop over the next few years. Doubt we'll see full blown marching trombone and sousa lines, just the occasional solo/soli. I know everyone sees this as a precursor to woodwinds but there are some pretty solid reasons as to why that's not happening any time soon.

Anyone predicting some sort of DCI/BOA merger doesn't know much about BOA.

• Like 2

Do any corps offer need-based scholarships?

Yes. And sponsorships for kids that need help covering fees. Pretty sure almost all do that

Drum corps and marching band will basically be the same thing- already pretty much is. Drum corps will still put on a much higher level of product, but the coolness and exotic appeal of it will continue to diminish as it turns into simply "really good band". I know there are some that contest the new rules changes are good, and making DCI and BOA basically the same product are good, but I strongly object. What drum corps used to have over bands was swagger, balls, and a high degree of cool because of the unique instrumentation. Marching band isn't cool- trombones/sousaphones/chessy keys gimicks/etc... these are exactly what drove me to join a drum corps- it was pure and it was really cool because of the ABSENCE of that stuff! Seeing the pit (prior to keys/amps) actually doing live Foley sound effects accoustically in front of me was awesome, the sound of G horns pinned wide open was awesome, it was awesome because it wasn't band. I am a professional saxophone and guitarist, and love those instruments to the bone (they are my liveilhood), but they are not DRUM & BUGLE CORPS! It seems simple to me... drum and bugle corps is DRUMS and BUGLES, hence the name. So, that is where I think DCI is heading in 2020... bands/un-cool/loss of brand identity- it seems likely they won't call it drum and bugle corps anymore. My question is why? Are kids and fans clamoring for this? I didn't march that long ago and can't think of one person in my corps that wouldn't want to punch someone in the face for even calling it a "band", let alone having trombones/keyboards/etc as a part of it. None of the folks I know (many) who follow drum corps like any of the changes, and we are certainly not "dinosaurs"- some of us had to march with the new changes and philosophy and play along, but certainly didn't like it.

• Like 5

What makes drum corps exotic in this current era isn't its differentness of instrumentation. What makes it exotic and desirable to those who audition is its excellence and, unfortunately, its exclusivity. It's where the really good band kids go to prove they can do it - if they have the funds to even try out. It's where those kids who are frustrated by carrying lunks through endless fall rehearsals go to rehearse with a group that cares, and that no kidding puts out THE BEST PRODUCT they can.

The instrumentation means precisely jack squat to most people below the age of like 30, though if anything it's the fact that it's brass vs the fact that it's bugles that is really important.

That said... Brass voices work well on a football field, whether they're bugles or not. Most woodwinds kinda don't in my opinion - and this is coming from a guy who's been a huge supporter in the band world for a long time. Saxophones and piccolos may be an exception to that, but clarinets and flutes? Sheesh. May as well march violas for all the projection they offer when played by an average musician on the move. And they're totally impractical, like trombones (my primary instrument is trombone, by the way). The only reason to have most woodwind voices on a football field is because the woodwinds in your winter and spring concert program at a public school should be allowed to participate in the fall program, something DCI doesn't have to consider.

• Like 1

What makes drum corps exotic in this current era isn't its differentness of instrumentation. What makes it exotic and desirable to those who audition is its excellence and, unfortunately, its exclusivity. It's where the really good band kids go to prove they can do it - if they have the funds to even try out. It's where those kids who are frustrated by carrying lunks through endless fall rehearsals go to rehearse with a group that cares, and that no kidding puts out THE BEST PRODUCT they can.

The instrumentation means precisely jack squat to most people below the age of like 30, though if anything it's the fact that it's brass vs the fact that it's bugles that is really important.

That said... Brass voices work well on a football field, whether they're bugles or not. Most woodwinds kinda don't in my opinion - and this is coming from a guy who's been a huge supporter in the band world for a long time. Saxophones and piccolos may be an exception to that, but clarinets and flutes? Sheesh. May as well march violas for all the projection they offer when played by an average musician on the move. And they're totally impractical, like trombones (my primary instrument is trombone, by the way). The only reason to have most woodwind voices on a football field is because the woodwinds in your winter and spring concert program at a public school should be allowed to participate in the fall program, something DCI doesn't have to consider.

Yea that is so true. I have found that schools that have huge woodwind sections project but still not that much. I have also seen that the woodwind players have less of a drive to compete as do the brass and percussion do. (at least at our school)

By 2020, DCI will likely have merged with BOA. Any-key brass, synths, amps - at this point, whatever still separates drum corps from marching band are distinctions of no particular importance.

I predict that the restrictive "brass" and "percussion" captions will be eliminated in favor of a more general "music" caption, so that designers will not be hindered by an oppressive judging system that seems to require them to use brass and percussion instruments. I also think that woodwinds and strings will have become common, and that the bands will be using auto-tune, drum machines, stage lighting, pyrotechnics, animals and water fountains.

I also predict that the performers and educators will work insanely hard all winter, spring and summer to put on the shows of their lives.

Long live drum corps.

• Like 1

I predict that the restrictive "brass" and "percussion" captions will be eliminated in favor of a more general "music" caption, so that designers will not be hindered by an oppressive judging system that seems to require them to use brass and percussion instruments. I also think that woodwinds and strings will have become common, and that the bands will be using auto-tune, drum machines, stage lighting, pyrotechnics, animals and water fountains.

I also predict that the performers and educators will work insanely hard all winter, spring and summer to put on the shows of their lives.

Long live drum corps.

"No animals were harmed in the production of this summer band show."