Where is DCI headed?

By constantly pushing yourself to be creative and innovative within the parameters of the rules. If you have to change the rules to push the envelope, then you aren't very creative.

That's not what creativity is by the way... being creative has nothing to do restrictions or playing within the rules. Creativity is literally the exact opposite of that and using one's imagination to create something that has never been seen or heard before. It's all about imagination and original ideas.

The rules are 100% arbitrary. Changing the rules allows for NEW creative ideas. Expanding the rules increases the amount of creativity that's actually able to be performed.

Edited by charlie1223

yeah i remember a few corps young but today its very young in most corps.......I remember a conversation with Jim costello ( cabs director ) before Cabs alumni was started and lets just say he was less than enthusiastic about it at that time for many reasons

Which is kind of funny, because a good chunk of Garfield's drumline moved over to Hawthorne after the 71 season when George Tuthill was let go from Garfield. He was also the Cabs drum instructor at the time. Most of those who moved were 18 or 19. I don't think any had reached 20 yet.

youre right...not the time and place here BUT yeah all age is much younger Ive taught a long time and when you were in your 40s you were still kinda young in many SR. corps and Im not talking back in the day I mean the 90s and early 2000s now if youre 40 youre ancient in most corps......i think All age is the same drum corps changes. You see the few hang ons from decades ago BUT wont see that in the future..way to many choices in todays world and way more pressure

The pit instructor for the band I am with marched Buccs...she said she was the oldest pit member by a couple of years...I think she may be 24. :cool:

How does one change the game if the rules always remain the same?

What's the point of the change? Will it make drum corps more popular by making it more widely practiced?

Probably not. If there was a situation where 3,000 kids were out there saying "heck, we'd join drum corps if ONLY trombones and sousaphones were allowed," that'd be one thing, but there aren't. Next fall, the same top 9 or 10 corps will have 200+ kids going out for 70-80 brass spots in each corps, and when they're cut, they'll go home.

If the activity wants to "change" something, fixing that issue is where you start.

Edited by Slingerland

The pit instructor for the band I am with marched Buccs...she said she was the oldest pit member by a couple of years...I think she may be 24. :cool:

About 2-3 years back Buccs performed at DCI East. Someone posted that people were watching the drumline rehearsal wondering which corps it was. When told Reading it was "Oh crap I thought it was a Jr corps!"

• Like 1

That's generally the rule for Twittter's 140 character limit, but even they've relaxed their policy in that regarding links. I think the product gets tired without expanding the options in some way over time, though. We already see a lot of recycling of rep.

The recycling has nothing to do with the limitations of the current instrumentation. There are threads on this forum with many hundreds of suggestions for music corps haven't tried yet.

What do you guys think the activity will be like in 2020?

continuously shrinking for the sake of art

That's not what creativity is by the way... being creative has nothing to do restrictions or playing within the rules. Creativity is literally the exact opposite of that and using one's imagination to create something that has never been seen or heard before. It's all about imagination and original ideas.

The rules are 100% arbitrary. Changing the rules allows for NEW creative ideas. Expanding the rules increases the amount of creativity that's actually able to be performed.

Robert Frost once said that "Writing free verse [i.e. poetry without rules] is like playing tennis with the net down".