well it didnt take very long...

Hillarious

" tired and old " ?. whats the average age of these DCI show designers ? They're all under 45, right ? And the DCI Judges ?, surely they are young ( and untired) and all under 45, right ?.

Umm….. Probably not. DCI judging is kind of lacking in the new blood department.

funny. sad it is how many fans feel, and of course they get mocked for feeling that way.

I've never seen an activity that eats its own like drum corps does.

OK

1) that internet meme is YEARS old: that's like a millennium! ANYTIME I see someone recycle an awful internet meme I roll my eyes. It's awful. Comedy is good, but using ancient memes is bad.

2) if you've never seen an activity like this, I assume you don't spend a ton of time on sports boards. Yikes!

3) from my observation, "dinos" get called out for their feelings about as much as "dinos" call out modern marchers for there's. Constantly railing on modern show designs, etc. is slamming the people who are participating: even more reprehensible when the harsher criticism comes from people who do NOTHING for the activity but attend a few shows at best and the complain from their living room.

Sorry: throw out insults at ME for picking on an internet meme that wasn't funny in 2012 anymore. But over generalizing and playing the "oh, people's feelings are getting mocked" doesn't fly when there is just as much being slung by both sides.

• Like 3

"You see, grandpa, there's this thing called the "internet," where things are funny for a while, but then completely lose their meaning after being beaten to death. This is where you come in. Go ahead and make that meme. Did you know there is a thing called "LOLcats," too? Grandpa, you're spilling your oatmeal. Grandpa? Grandpa!! NOOOO!!! HE'S GONE WHYGODWHY?!?!?"

YES!!!!!

exactly

funny. sad it is how many fans feel, and of course they get mocked for feeling that way.

Exactly. We know the ages of the judges, the show designers, and the ages of the people that proposed ( and voted on ) this new rule re. instrumentation. These are verifiable. We have no knowledge however if the Meme here was created by someone that has Grandchildren as is being alleged above here on this thread ( ie " Grandpa "). Nobody... repeat NOBODY... knows the age, gender, etc of the person that created this Meme. But this hasn't stopped some on here from showing their true colors of hostile age discrimination traits with their dislike and distain for the older fanbase population in Drum Corps... many whom have financially supported, and volunteer supported, this activity for years and years. But there is Freedom of Speech, and people with obvious age discrimination traits are free to take age related potshots in public at people much older than themselves too. I support diversity of opinion, and so its cool and all to allow wide ranges of opinions to take place openly and freely... and for us to draw our own sense of things too.

Edited by BRASSO

this is so true and has ALWAYS been this way......especially if you were competitive...............all I'll say on this though is respect is a 2 way street and neither side of the coin should just get an automatic free pass to respect without earning it......................many on both sides feel it's an automatic thing...I think not!

• Like 1

Exactly. We know the ages of the judges, the show designers, and the ages of the people that proposed ( and voted on ) this new rule re. instrumentation. These are verifiable. We have no knowledge however if the Meme here was created by someone that has Grandchildren as is being alleged above here on this thread ( ie " Grandpa "). Nobody... repeat NOBODY... knows the age, gender, etc of the person that created this Meme. But this hasn't stopped some on here from showing their true colors of hostile age discrimination traits with their dislike and distain for the older fanbase population in Drum Corps... many whom have financially supported, and volunteer supported, this activity for years and years. But there is Freedom of Speech, and people with obvious age discrimination traits are free to take age related potshots in public at people much older than themselves too. I support diversity of opinion, and so its cool and all to allow wide ranges of opinions to take place openly and freely... and for us to draw our own sense of things too.

Wow did you take me at the absolute, strictest literal translation when I said "old and tired?"

I apologize if my disdain was not super clear. My categorization was meant not against old people who maybe didn't get enough sleep: it was instead a euphemism directed a the tired, old notion that "OH MY GOD DRUM CORPS IS DEAD/THE SKY IS FALLING AGGGHHHHH" attached to an internet meme that ceased to be funny around the time Obama began running for his second term.

Rereading this reply, I'm confounded that you and others didn't pick up on that euphemism, and instead turned it into some sort of bizarro "age discrimination" rant. Just...wow.

I guess I used "tired and old" as a nicer way of saying "stupid bull ####" or something equally blunt.

this is so true and has ALWAYS been this way......especially if you were competitive...............all I'll say on this though is respect is a 2 way street and neither side of the coin should just get an automatic free pass to respect without earning it......................many on both sides feel it's an automatic thing...I think not!

When I marched in the late 90's I heard PLENTY of complaints about some of the "newfangled" stuff in drum corps of those days (like rants from guys who marched in the 80's who loathed kevlar heads).

When I marched in the late 90's I heard PLENTY of complaints about some of the "newfangled" stuff in drum corps of those days (like rants from guys who marched in the 80's who loathed kevlar heads).

well i can beat that....lol...i heard the same in the 70s and 80s from those who also came before me.....I have a drum corps family dating back to the mid 40s and holidays were hell as a kid each decade telling the other what they were doing wasn't drum corps............and of course they all justified how they were right..lol............these are far from new arguments...............and that includes whether we are marching bands or not............old news

Edited by GUARDLING

You heard complaints in 1971 with the themed shows of the Scouts, Cavies, Cadets and St Rita's...you heard LOTS of complaints when Bayonne came out in 1976 in the banana unis...there have always been complainers. Funny that some of those who marched then and were part of history are now complaining about changes being made today.