well it didnt take very long...

This is not an " old story ". The rules change for 2014 is a " new story". The people that expressed displeasure on something in Drum Corps in 1972, or 1962, or 1932, or whenever are probably long gone from the activity, and soTHAT story back then is an " old story".

When the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series in 1919 vs. the Cincinati Reds there were a lot of complainers from every angle on that " new story ". Today it is still discussed in some quarters, but all the participants in this story, and all the complainers in this story are all dead and gone now. If there are new complainers about something going on in MLB today, the fact there were complainers also BITD in Major League Baseball back 25, 50, 75, 100 years ago is irrelevant to any complaint going on today in MLB. You see, there are always complainers or protestors somewhere out there in every sport or activity imaginable and going back to the beginning of that sport, activity, business, or whatever. People have complained about things since the Dawn of Man. But so what ? Drum Corps might very well be " unique" in what it does. But the notion that it is immune to all the emotions of the human condition we sometimes refer to as protest, or the act of complaining, is ridiculous. So of course there was complaining in some quarters BITD. This is somehow news to people ? As something unusual ? Please tell me that nobody has to be educated now to the fact that Drum Corps wasn't devoid of people that sometimes complained about things in 1992, 1982, 1972, 1962, 1952, 1942, 1932 or before that ?

diffeErnt subject...............SAME OLE STORY...I whining back in 72 and it's no different now....as far as all the other comparisons......i dont even read them...if were supposed to be some self proclaimed UNIQUE activity then that makes all comparisons.. senseless..........................jmo..so maybe we agree moaning covers all spans and generations......but again yes it was the same any change bitd ANY was met with resistance and it wasnt drum corps...and kinda the same now....same ole same ole

I have an uncle who marched from the late 40s to 61 and he still moans..............so they are still around thats for sure..my alumni has several who have a moan meeting once a month...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Different subject, SAME OLE STORY! Whining back in '72, and it's no different now. (As far as all the other comparison, I don't even read them. if we're supposed to be some self-proclaimed UNIQUE activity, then that makes all comparisons senseless, jmo.) So maybe we agree moaning covers all spans and generations, but again, yes, it was the same: any change bitd, ANY, was met with resistance and "It isn't drum corps", and kinda the same now: same ole same ole.

Hey, Guardling: is there no possible change that could happen to drum corps that you can imagine yourself disagreeing with? Can the leaders of drum corps do no wrong? Because that's how your argument reads: as if all complaints that anyone has, back in 1972 or today, are the same; as if no one's disagreement with DCI's decisions can ever be reasonable. As if not only has drum corps ever taken a wrong turn, but it's impossible that drum corps could ever take a wrong turn.

Is that how you feel?

Hey, Guardling: is there no possible change that could happen to drum corps that you can imagine yourself disagreeing with? Can the leaders of drum corps do no wrong? Because that's how your argument reads: as if all complaints that anyone has, back in 1972 or today, are the same; as if no one's disagreement with DCI's decisions can ever be reasonable. As if not only has drum corps ever taken a wrong turn, but it's impossible that drum corps could ever take a wrong turn.

Is that how you feel?

NOPE..none! I wouldnt want to see or hear woodwinds BUT if thats the case and I couldnt stand it then I leave. You see even though I teach now I always have felt after I marched that I had my time and now let someone new take it to another place..I dont have to like or dislike a change and I certainly have a chpice whether to support it or not..as far as this new one I see no big deal AT ALL...seems like only a year ago the several page argument may have been on plume size so...not a big deal. I dont agree with lots of things some directors do BUT think they have the absolute right to do what's right for themselves.

Has drum corps taken wrong turns? of course.. Have I even have been involved in a few of them yes. BUT I also believe that I'm grateful the activity is still around and could have easily gone away many decades ago as the world changed

I certainly respect ones passion and expressing a like or dislike.....BUT we all have choices now dont we. Plus with some....not all it's also very easy to recognize those who have passion and those who just fight for the sake of fighting

Edited by GUARDLING

Hey, Guardling: is there no possible change that could happen to drum corps that you can imagine yourself disagreeing with?

NOPE, none!

I wouldn't want to see or hear woodwinds, BUT if that's the case, and I couldn't stand it, then I leave.

You see, even though I teach now, I always have felt after I marched that I had my time, and now let someone new take it to another place. I don't have to like or dislike a change, and I certainly have a choice whether to support it or not. As far as this new one, I see no big deal AT ALL. Seems like only a year ago, the several-page argument may have been on plume size, so not a big deal. I don't agree with lots of things some directors do, BUT I think they have the absolute right to do what's right for themselves.

Has drum corps taken wrong turns? Of course. Have I even have been involved in a few of them? Yes. BUT I also believe that I'm grateful the activity is still around and could have easily gone away many decades ago as the world changed

I certainly respect ones passion and expressing a like or dislike, BUT we all have choices now, don't we. Plus with some--not all--it's also very easy to recognize those who have passion and those who just fight for the sake of fighting.

All right, thanks for answering honestly. You're right. We all do indeed make choices, and in this case, many people are choosing to speak up. I say that is the more responsible choice than simply walking away, as you propose to do when a change seems intolerable. And I truly believe that most people speaking up now do so out of love for the activity.

(To equate objections to this change in instrumentation--which, I remind you, doesn't particularly bother me--to objections to a corps' uniform seems like a stretch on your part. This is obviously a much bigger deal, and the reaction seems completely understandable. All wind instruments in drum and bugle corps for more than the past half-century have been bell-front and valved. Uniforms, on the other hand, have shown an enormous variety in the same time period.)

• Like 1

All right, thanks for answering honestly. You're right. We all do indeed make choices, and in this case, many people are choosing to speak up. I say that is the more responsible choice than simply walking away, as you propose to do when a change seems intolerable. And I truly believe that most people speaking up now do so out of love for the activity.

(To equate objections to this change in instrumentation--which, I remind you, doesn't particularly bother me--to objections to a corps' uniform seems like a stretch on your part. This is obviously a much bigger deal, and the reaction seems completely understandable. All wind instruments in drum and bugle corps for more than the past half-century have been bell-front and valved. Uniforms, on the other hand, have shown an enormous variety in the same time period.)

look back on some old threads and the fury of some people when someone does a uniform change..you would think someone murdered orphans . But also people have to be in a position to make change or NOT make change and if one isnt then theres 2 things one can do....dont support it or walk away...believe me the barking doesnt do very much most of the time

funny. sad it is how many fans feel, and of course they get mocked for feeling that way.

I've never seen an activity that eats its own like drum corps does.

So true. I love the strawman arguments as well, where they go back as far as possible to equate the recent changes to asymmetrical drill and grounding the pit.

• Like 1

for the Hitler video !

1:51 - Truth

2:28 - :whistle:

3:32 - Truth

Thanks for posting Corpsband. I thought it was entertaining.

So true. I love the strawman arguments as well, where they go back as far as possible to equate the recent changes to asymmetrical drill and grounding the pit.

You mean like those shirts from 1971 that proclaimed "Drum Corps is Dead!" because someone added a theme to their shows? Oh yeah, it's clearly been dead for 40 years….

i think sometimes we forget that we teach by example and when we dont and we get back what we throw out then people don' t like it....................omg we agree DUDE

see...I knew you'd come around dude LOL