well it didnt take very long...

So Hitler says that no one wants to hear saxophones in a drum corps show.

Is he right?

Well, he was right about jet aircraft and the main battle tank, so he had a few good ideas. Same with the Autobahn.

OK

1) that internet meme is YEARS old: that's like a millennium! ANYTIME I see someone recycle an awful internet meme I roll my eyes. It's awful. Comedy is good, but using ancient memes is bad.

2) if you've never seen an activity like this, I assume you don't spend a ton of time on sports boards. Yikes!

3) from my observation, "dinos" get called out for their feelings about as much as "dinos" call out modern marchers for there's. Constantly railing on modern show designs, etc. is slamming the people who are participating: even more reprehensible when the harsher criticism comes from people who do NOTHING for the activity but attend a few shows at best and the complain from their living room.

Sorry: throw out insults at ME for picking on an internet meme that wasn't funny in 2012 anymore. But over generalizing and playing the "oh, people's feelings are getting mocked" doesn't fly when there is just as much being slung by both sides.

in many ways I agree with you, and no I do not go on sports boards.

but the dinos have $$ the endless pot of band mom gold doesn't.

Edited by Jeff Ream

in many ways I agree with you, and no I do not go on sports boards.

but the dinos have $$ the endless pot of band mom gold doesn't.

what makes you think the dinos havent been effected by the times..i know plenty of dinos that dont come anymore and say its because of this or that but actually because they just dont have the funds as they get older....priorities as one gets older

Exactly. We know the ages of the judges, the show designers, and the ages of the people that proposed ( and voted on ) this new rule re. instrumentation. These are verifiable. We have no knowledge however if the Meme here was created by someone that has Grandchildren as is being alleged above here on this thread ( ie " Grandpa "). Nobody... repeat NOBODY... knows the age, gender, etc of the person that created this Meme. But this hasn't stopped some on here from showing their true colors of hostile age discrimination traits with their dislike and distain for the older fanbase population in Drum Corps... many whom have financially supported, and volunteer supported, this activity for years and years. But there is Freedom of Speech, and people with obvious age discrimination traits are free to take age related potshots in public at people much older than themselves too. I support diversity of opinion, and so its cool and all to allow wide ranges of opinions to take place openly and freely... and for us to draw our own sense of things too.

Ah...but....and I should have said this in the first post...

it goes both ways. There IS a level of disrepsect, more on DCP than in anywhere else in drum corps, from the older generations going back out to the kids, stafs directors, judges etc. some of it is overblown just like it is from the "younger crowd", and in many cases it's either side taking someone having an issue about one thing and lumping everyone together.

That's why I mentioned this activity eating it's own. because it happens in all directions. I have never seen an activity more at war with itself, and quite honestly, we're like Congress....my way is right, your way sucks.

• Like 1

this is so true and has ALWAYS been this way......especially if you were competitive...............all I'll say on this though is respect is a 2 way street and neither side of the coin should just get an automatic free pass to respect without earning it......................many on both sides feel it's an automatic thing...I think not!

I agree, and I meant to type more earlier as I did above, and that darn job thing got in the way.

I agree, and I meant to type more earlier as I did above, and that darn job thing got in the way.

i think sometimes we forget that we teach by example and when we dont and we get back what we throw out then people don' t like it....................omg we agree DUDE

Edited by GUARDLING

what makes you think the dinos havent been effected by the times..i know plenty of dinos that dont come anymore and say its because of this or that but actually because they just dont have the funds as they get older....priorities as one gets older

true. But a revolving door of band moms and kids is not the qay to go about growing a business.

again, i don't really care about this rule...i'm more blah than anything, tho i do fear it leads to the one place I don't ant to be, and that's woodwinds.

but given how fleeting kids interests can be, i think keeping dino's traditionalists, old ####s, whatever you want to call them in the loop is a good thing, and i'm not seeing that as a DCI priority.

it's simple business strategy...if you want to grow, you add AND retain.

true. But a revolving door of band moms and kids is not the qay to go about growing a business.

again, i don't really care about this rule...i'm more blah than anything, tho i do fear it leads to the one place I don't ant to be, and that's woodwinds.

but given how fleeting kids interests can be, i think keeping dino's traditionalists, old ####s, whatever you want to call them in the loop is a good thing, and i'm not seeing that as a DCI priority.

it's simple business strategy...if you want to grow, you add AND retain.

could be DCI sees that the dino so to speak is all but gone....I mean really gone..or getting to an age where they wont travel to these things and they need to look elsewhere...the 40 year old now ( if you want to say is a Dino ) may have some years left but many of the real dinos who grew up in the activity , those who live and breathe drum corps will all be gone .

IMO there will never be that person again..or very few...it cant be...the world has changed...the way we became the die hards is we invested practically our entire life to the activity...most cant do that now

Best thing about it all, there's been no official word that this even passed!!!

So... you're saying Hitler is overreacting here??? :tongue:

...my point was that if a public forum was available back then you would have heard just as much moaning as you do now..or more...making all this an old story............very old

This is not an " old story ". The rules change for 2014 is a " new story". The people that expressed displeasure on something in Drum Corps in 1972, or 1962, or 1932, or whenever are probably long gone from the activity, and soTHAT story back then is an " old story".

When the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series in 1919 vs. the Cincinati Reds there were a lot of complainers from every angle on that " new story ". at the time. Today it is still discussed in some quarters, but all the participants in this story, and all the complainers in this story are all dead and gone now. If there are new complainers about something going on in MLB today, the fact there were complainers also BITD in Major League Baseball back 25, 50, 75, 100 years ago is irrelevant to any complaint going on today in MLB. You see, there are always complainers or protestors somewhere out there in every sport, politics, business, or activity imaginable and going back to the beginning of that sport, politics, activity, business, or whatever. People have complained about things since the Dawn of Man. But so what ? Drum Corps might very well be " unique" in what it does. But the notion that it is immune to one of the principle emotions of the human condition we sometimes refer to as protest, or the act of complaining, is ridiculous. So of course there was complaining in some quarters BITD in Drum Corps. This is somehow news to people ? As something unusual ? Please tell me that nobody has to be educated now to the fact that Drum Corps wasn't devoid of people that sometimes complained about things in 1992, 1982, 1972, 1962, 1952, 1942, 1932 or before that ?

Edited by BRASSO