Thanks for the memories...Im gone!

Somehow, I don't think the purpose of this rules change was to get fans to yell at and insult one another.

But I've been wrong before.

• Like 8

This is all so overdramatic. Who cares about a stupid rule, and besides I am pretty the Board of Directors have been thinking about this for a while. They are trying to make the activity more enjoyable and expand to new ideas. What if last year is somebodys "glory years" to them? Rules are rules. DCI can do whateever they want. The mission of Drum Corps is not to be traditional and not evolve. It's to educate the people participating and push them to become great leaders and fill them with memories. Is a different brass instrument REALLY going to end this? You act as if this is doomsday and the end of the world. You really should be proud that kids still want to march, they look up to you and you paved the way for today. But this is the funny thing: There is no official news from DCI that this new rule is in effect.

>> educate the people participating and push them to become great leaders and fill them with memories

So....they need to keep changing the core elements of drum corps instrumentation (Which makes the activity and sound unique) and risk losing longtime supporting fans to accomplish the above?

Hopefully you'll come back, but if not, someone else will take your seat at shows.

Speaking of " change " this would be a refreshing and welcome change, as DCI has struggled mightily of late replacing its lost fans with newer fans.

There are more than enough people out there still supporting DCI to keep them solvent and surviving, even if the doom-and-gloom crowd finally bails, after threatening it for 40 years.

Look Mrs Hopkins, even your husband acknowledges that DCI is struggling to be" solvent and surviving". Put your bought pearls back in the box, as it appears its wrapped too tightly and perhaps cutting off the oxygen to your brain and clouding your sense of real reality here on how precarious DCI is right now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Speaking of " change " this would be a refreshing and welcome change, as DCI has struggled mightily of late replacing its lost fans with newer fans.

Something tells me you haven't been to a show or finals lately. Sure it isn't the crush of humanity when there were hundreds of active corps, but lots more folks then say 10 years ago. The shows I went to Bowling Green, Akron, and a few others where nicely attended. Finals seemed a bit larger.

But hey don't let observations and figures get in the way of your ranting.

• Like 2

. But this is the funny thing: There is no official news from DCI that this new rule is in effect.

Fall down funny. I'm shocked that DCI is this slow to provide information in the offseason. Sounds like you might be shocked and surprised as well.

Still drum corps to me. I am in it for the long haul. To hear a hornline like Crown is like Heaven.

• Like 4

Fall down funny. I'm shocked that DCI is this slow to provide information in the offseason. Sounds like you might be shocked and surprised as well.

And no one should be surprised when the "announcement" offers no substantive information... just the same old tired drivel.

Something tells me you haven't been to a show or finals lately.

I went to 4 shows last season, subscribe to Fan Network, volunteer to a Corps, buy DCI tapes, help 2 corps in its fundraising, and bought sovies from 3 corps... and have been to 7 DCI Finals, and 8 to regionals in Allentown, and attended 2nd DCI Finals in Ithaca, NY.

Siince you asked for my involvement as a fan of late, please list your involvement as your apparent qualifyer to speak on current DCI changes.

• Like 2

I didn’t really sense the OP was suggesting the demise of Drum Corps.... more like a fond adeus…But just in case, here are several predictions of demises that haven’t particularly panned out:

10. The Rapture (May 21, 2011) by Radio preacher Harold Camping

9. Y2K Scare

8. The American Car Industry

7. Boston Red Sox never winning the World Series

6. Mayan Apocalypse

5. David Parker (Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, England) “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past.” Predicted on March 20, 2000

4. “Television won’t last, it’s a flash in the pan”, Mary Somerville 1948 Education Broadcast Assoc; “TV won’t last 6 months, people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night”, Darryl Zannuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946

3. “There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share.” -- Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO (April 2007)

2. "We don't like their sound, besides groups and guitar music is on the way out anyway." Decca Recording Co. after rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

1. One word…………Apple

• Like 2