Thanks for the memories...Im gone!

Some part of me belives that there are less shows, so more people come to the bigger shows to get their DCI fix.

If there are more people at the shows, GREAT! No problems with that for me.

There was 113 shows last year across the summer. There have been a few less shows each year, but the numbers of corps at shows has been increasing, if that makes sense. Browsing old scores, there were shows with three or four corps in them, now you'd be hard pressed to find one with less than 6 or 7.

• Like 1

There was 113 shows last year across the summer. There have been a few less shows each year, but the numbers of corps at shows has been increasing, if that makes sense. Browsing old scores, there were shows with three or four corps in them, now you'd be hard pressed to find one with less than 6 or 7.

Well, thing is in the past there were smaller corps at each show (Division II/III), so there were 7+ corps at most shows; then DCI decided not to have too many mixed shows (~2005 or later), and the corps lineup shrunk. I'm thinking more long term historic instead of just 1 or two years ago.

I mean, I've noticed the change because I used to go to a TON of shows every year all over the US, now I just go to 1 or two shows and have been doing the fan network.

I'm still a bit on the fence about that until I hear about other people experiences.

Well, thing is in the past there were smaller corps at each show (Division II/III), so there were 7+ corps at most shows; then DCI decided not to have too many mixed shows (~2005 or later), and the corps lineup shrunk. I'm thinking more long term historic instead of just 1 or two years ago.

I mean, I've noticed the change because I used to go to a TON of shows every year all over the US, now I just go to 1 or two shows and have been doing the fan network.

I'm still a bit on the fence about that until I hear about other people experiences.

I checked through older ones as well. I went to 1989 as a random year. There were multiple shows with 1 Open Class corps, and 2-3 A-60 corps at them. That seems like most people wouldn't get their money's worth to only see 3-4 corps. But then again, some people see that many at a show because they spend the whole show in the lot, so it is what it is. Would love to see more shows out there, but I'm sure it's an expensive proposition. I usually just do one to three shows in a year, because of the costs of travel. Living out west means we don't have any shows post-June, so it would involve traveling.

I checked through older ones as well. I went to 1989 as a random year. There were multiple shows with 1 Open Class corps, and 2-3 A-60 corps at them. That seems like most people wouldn't get their money's worth to only see 3-4 corps. But then again, some people see that many at a show because they spend the whole show in the lot, so it is what it is. Would love to see more shows out there, but I'm sure it's an expensive proposition. I usually just do one to three shows in a year, because of the costs of travel. Living out west means we don't have any shows post-June, so it would involve traveling.

I went to shows where I'd see 3-4 smaller corps, and then we'd get to see 3-4 of the big corps. For instance:

Sunday June 18, 1989

Youngstown OH

1 Phantom Regiment 74.500 2 Cavaliers 70.300 3 Bluecoats 63.500 4 Colts 44.000 5 Glassmen 38.600 6 Limited Edition 32.600 7 Northmen (WI) 25.800 8 Guardsmen 21.100

Sunday June 25, 1989 Normal IL

DCM

Position Corps Score

1 Phantom Regiment 78.600 2 Cavaliers 77.700 3 Madison Scouts 74.900 4 Sky Ryders 69.900 5 Spirit of Atlanta 61.800 6 Colts 55.600 7 Troopers 53.400 8 Quad City Knights 40.200 9 Phantom Regiment Cadets 35.500 10 Emerald Knights 30.000

Sunday August 13, 1989

Sioux City IA DCI

Position Corps Score 1 Cavaliers 93.600 2 Madison Scouts 91.300 3 Crossmen 87.200 4 Dutch Boy 81.500 5 Florida Wave 76.100

Driving to shows and traveling is one of the things I have to get used to again since I'm back out West. Well, if I choose to see any shows...

There are smaller corps' shows after June in CA if you want to support the little guys.

I usually go to the Riverside show and maybe the Walnut show when I'm living in California.

In the past I'd drive up to Tulare, Stockton, and those shows. I'd also go to the San Diego shows. When I was living in Vegas, we drove to the central California shows.

I've driven to San Antonio and Colorado from SoCal a few times in the past to see those shows as well. I won't do it anymore. It's just not worth it for me and my friends to do that.

When I was living in Washington, DC in 2010, I wouldn't drive to Fairfax to see a late season show there ( 30 minute drive) after seeing shows in WVa; Chesapeake, VA; and Arlington, VA earlier in the season. This was partly because I didn't want to hear my friends complain about the shows and partly because I didn't want to go to another show "alone", and partly becaue the shows weren't "doing it" for me despite my efforts. In 2011 I wouldn't drive to Salem or Warrenton VA after seeing earlier shows and seeing shows on FN. I'm really trying to get other people involved, but it's not working anymore. These people used to go with me, and now they won't. I'm still trying to be supportive of DCI.

Whatever year BD and Bluecoats and other corps had an early show in Las Vegas "July 4th, 2011???", I couldn't get my friends to go see them after a first sampling on FN. They're not as patient as I am....

Edited by jjeffeory

On the flip side of that one,

6/27/1989- Warren, PA---- Cadets 77.4, Florida Wave 62.4, Dutch Boy 62.1

6/30/1989- Edmonton, AL---- Spartans WA 40.3, Class A60- Allegiance Elite 45.6, Calgary Cavaliers 35.5, Spartan Cadets 35.5

7/11/1989- Rapid City, SD---- Star of Indiana 82.5, Troopers 62.4, Sunset Regiment 55.6

I wish there were shows later in the season in California. The last one is July 14, down in Laguna Hills. When Finals was in California, it was great since we all got to see early and late season products, instead of just the unfinished early season shows. Felt like being an East Coast fan every year. I always support the smaller corps, since that's where i got my start. I think the last show with any Top 12 corps is Pacific Procession on July 1 in Santa Clara.

On the flip side of that one,

6/27/1989- Warren, PA---- Cadets 77.4, Florida Wave 62.4, Dutch Boy 62.1

6/30/1989- Edmonton, AL---- Spartans WA 40.3, Class A60- Allegiance Elite 45.6, Calgary Cavaliers 35.5, Spartan Cadets 35.5

7/11/1989- Rapid City, SD---- Star of Indiana 82.5, Troopers 62.4, Sunset Regiment 55.6

I wish there were shows later in the season in California. The last one is July 14, down in Laguna Hills. When Finals was in California, it was great since we all got to see early and late season products, instead of just the unfinished early season shows. Felt like being an East Coast fan every year. I always support the smaller corps, since that's where i got my start. I think the last show with any Top 12 corps is Pacific Procession on July 1 in Santa Clara.

I wish there were shows later in the season in Californa too.

Flip side of your flip side, just to show you that things haven't changed too much... Sometimes you just don't get a great lineup and it happens many years even recent years... ...and even on the East coast...

Saturday June 19, 2010 Chesapeake VA

TIDEWATER SUMMER MUSIC GAMES STADIUM: Oscar Smith H.S. Stadium

DCI Position Corps Score 1 Carolina Crown 75.950 2 The Cadets 72.900 3 The Cavaliers 72.450

Tuesday June 22, 2010 Rio Rancho NM

Drums Along the Sandias STADIUM: Rio Rancho High School Stadium

DCI Position Corps Score

Open Class 1 Revolution 63.500

World Class 1 Blue Knights 66.900 2 Troopers 65.200 3 The Academy 64.800

Sunday July 3, 2011 Spokane WA

SUMMER THUNDER STADIUM: Joe Albi Stadium

DCI Position Corps Score

DIVISION Open 1 Revolution 69.200 2 Spokane Thunder 60.300

DIVISION World 1 Blue Knights 76.500 2 Cascades 65.300

Sunday July 1, 2012 Tri Cities WA Drums Along the Columbia -

A DCI Northwest Classic STADIUM: Edgar Brown Memorial Stadium

DCI Position Corps Score

Open Class 1 Oregon Crusaders 75.200 2 Spokane Thunder 66.700

World Class 1 Blue Knights 69.500 2 Cascades 52.700

Friday July 5, 2013 Casper WY

Drums Along the Rockies - Casper Edition STADIUM: Cheney Alumni Field - Natrona County H.S.

DCI Position Corps Score

DIVISION Open 1 Thunder 65.500

DIVISION World 1 Carolina Crown 83.300 2 Blue Knights 73.900 3 Troopers 70.600 4 Cascades 59.800

For me as a fan, the best place to be for great shows has always been to live in the Midwest or the Midsouth. There are shows all season long. Shows aren't that far from one another.

East coasters get easy access to DCA shows and then some DCI shows with regionals (Allentown and whatever is in NY).

West coast fans have FN now at least...

Edited by jjeffeory

West coast fans have FN now at least...

It's what I use, but you and I both know it's no analogue for being there live at a show. Fan Network is great, and gives me a chance to see corps progress, but it's not as cool as seeing those changes live.

• Like 1

For me, the best place to be for great shows has always to live in the Midwest or the mid-South.

Indeed. From here in Cleveland, there will be three DCI shows within an hour's drive, another five within about two hours' drive, and of course it's only six hours to Indianapolis. Plus this year and next I'm only four hours from DCA championships.

Some part of me belives that there are less shows, so more people come to the bigger shows to get their DCI fix.

If there are more people at the shows, GREAT! No problems with that for me.

competition at the end helps. if you don't believe me, compare the 10 and 12 numbers vs 11 and 13

After supporting Drum Corps for over 30 some years I am finally done...Take care all it has been a wonderful ride but it is time to say Goodbye... Love you all!

So long. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Edited by Roark1
  • Like 2