Time for some market research

Time for some market research  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How does the recent vote for added brass instruments make YOU feel?

• I love it, and it makes me want to see a DCI Drum Corps now more than ever
    • I think I will like it, and that it may make me like the activity even more
    • It really doesn't have any effect on me at all
    • I think I won't like it, and that it may make me want to see DCI Drum Corps less than I do now
    • It makes me want to not even see a DCI corps anymore, now more than ever

There is only one thing that kept me from attending drum corps shows in my area. In the spring of 1980 (my junior year of high school)I had mono, but sadly I didn't catch the "kissing disease" the fun way. I worked at my father's drug store and the local college had an epidemic, so I probably caught it from a customer. I had to take an incomplete in chemistry and had the summer to finish the work, and I figured I'd do it in August but my pharmacist father and my school teacher mother had other ideas--no drum corps shows until the work was finished. Since it was1980 and 27th had such great prospects that year and I am from the Boston area, the work was finished much earlier than August. Actually it was finished a week after school got out.

Changes, whether I have liked them or no,t have not kept me from shows even though I did feel less impelled to go to shows immediately following the introduction of B-flat and I am sure BAC becoming perennial finalists at that time did not hurt my desire to see shows. So I'd have to vote in the category that Garfield mentions is not included.

Personally, I am thinking I we may only have to get used to trombones. Concert French horns may make great solo instruments and while some marching bands use them, they are awkward for marching, at least that's what I understand. It's also my understanding that there is prestige in being a tuba player, many of whom still call it a contrabass, so perhaps this may keep sousaphones to a minimum. This may be a personal hope since I really do not like sousaphones visually though I od respect those who march with them. A sousaphone requires far more strength than marching with a clarinet, a detail I was often reminded of by my bets friend who played sousaphone.

I aged out 27...1982

Understand completely Tim, and appreciate your wait and see attitude. I am not convinced some french horn or sousa thing will drive me away, but I am concerned. I never really got too caught up in the B-Flat thing. Amps and synths are a completely different matter for me though, mostly because I think they are not up to performance standards that the activity can attain, create a dynamic change to the drum corps sound and I am growing tired of "putting up" with them while I try to enjoy other aspects of today's corps. I have given them a chance, and with few exceptions, it's been epic fail for me. I would venture a wager that anybody who is against this instrument change would trade it in a minute for the loss of goo and amplified voice. Wait and see is a tough attitude to have when you consider all that I think. The other thing that concerns me is the move to woodwinds, and how this change was described in the proposal as "the next logical addition" and not the last. I am having a tough time thinking I can wait and see or give it a chance when it comes to woodwinds, and I design for, and teach marching band.

Sorry if you don't have the correct choice for you in the poll, there is a method to my survey technique there however, so I would ask you consider voting for the "next best" answer if you can. Thanks!

Amps and synths are a completely different matter for me though, mostly because I think they are not up to performance standards that the activity can attain, create a dynamic change to the drum corps sound, and I am growing tired of "putting up" with them while I try to enjoy other aspects of today's corps. I have given them a chance, and with few exceptions, it's been epic fail for me. I would venture a wager that anybody who is against this instrument change would trade it in a minute for the loss of goo and amplified voice. Wait and see is a tough attitude to have when you consider all that, I think.

Hear, hear.

Also, there's something odd about the poll. Right now it says, "96 members have cast votes", but the tally runs:

#1 - 9 votes

#2 - 15 votes

#3 - 37 votes

#4 - 28 votes

#5 - 14 votes

And 9 + 15 + 37 + 28 + 14 = 103

Does that perhaps mean some non-members have cast votes?

Hear, hear.

Also, there's something odd about the poll. Right now it says, "96 members have cast votes", but the tally runs:

#1 - 9 votes

#2 - 15 votes

#3 - 37 votes

#4 - 28 votes

#5 - 14 votes

Maybe a mod access can vote without signing in? Strange.

If I am not logged in as a member, this message appears.

Guests cannot vote

Hear, hear.

#1 - 9 votes

#2 - 15 votes

#3 - 37 votes

#4 - 28 votes

#5 - 14 votes

I think I figured it out. Michael Boo must have voted. DCP must have him "weighted" so that his votes count 7 times more than a normal one. :tounge2:

Hear, hear.

#1 - 9 votes

#2 - 15 votes

#3 - 37 votes

#4 - 28 votes

#5 - 14 votes

What happens if you vote, but then later delete your vote?...I see the option to do that...

What happens if you vote, but then later delete your vote?...I see the option to do that...

I thought of that, but all that could mean is that you might end up with more members showing as voting than votes. Even if a revote was cast after deleting one, and the member didn't get counted as voting again, the votes shouldn't be higher.

Hear, hear.

#1 - 9 votes

#2 - 15 votes

#3 - 37 votes

#4 - 28 votes

#5 - 14 votes

Morning all.

the reason for the discrepancy = the poll was set up to "allow multiple choices". meaning that a member (guests cannot vote) could check more than one selection before casting/locking in their vote.

I've presumed that was not Truman's intent, and have unchecked the "allow multiple choices", and the poll will now only allow single selection only. I can't see who vote multiple times so I can't fix the extra 7 votes - sorry.

an important FYI should any of you set up polls in the future.

z

Morning all.

the reason for the discrepancy = the poll was set up to "allow multiple choices". meaning that a member (guests cannot vote) could check more than one selection before casting/locking in their vote.

I've presumed that was not Truman's intent, and have unchecked the "allow multiple choices", and the poll will now only allow single selection only. I can't see who vote multiple times so I can't fix the extra 7 votes - sorry.

an important FYI should any of you set up polls in the future.

z

I should of paid better attention than that! Now my life's work, the poll that will prove the end of the world is coming, has been compromised! :tounge2:

Ah well, even with the extra 7 votes in there, I think this still shows that DCP is not just a bunch of radical dino whiners.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry to be contrary, but you need a choice that says: "I am undecided and will let my view of the 2014 shows help me decide if I like DCI drum corps more or less than last year".

I agree. Let's wait and see.

There are some amp effects I dislike but there are also ones I totally love after I have had a chance to get used to them. I really would like to see a traditional division in addition to some of the knew changes. Bottom line is I really enjoy being played music that involves lots of percussion and loud brass instruments.